Giving Up Mountain Biking

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Absolutely love my Voodoo Bizango with Shimano system, with its 29" wheels its massive feels like a dirt bike. However over the time of ownership it has tempted me too much to try trails a mid 50 year old should not really be doing. Anyway to the point latest crash 2 broken metacarpals and 2 heavily bruised knuckles.

Will still do light trails but hanging up my MTB boots, onto the next chapter. Going to turn it into a touring bike for cycle paths/trails and road work. First on the list is road biased tyres followed with a rear rack. I know its not the most suitable but I am still fit so motor is not required too often. One door closes another opens, off to look at long distance routes.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Absolutely love my Voodoo Bizango with Shimano system, with its 29" wheels its massive feels like a dirt bike. However over the time of ownership it has tempted me too much to try trails a mid 50 year old should not really be doing. Anyway to the point latest crash 2 broken metacarpals and 2 heavily bruised knuckles.

Will still do light trails but hanging up my MTB boots, onto the next chapter. Going to turn it into a touring bike for cycle paths/trails and road work. First on the list is road biased tyres followed with a rear rack. I know its not the most suitable but I am still fit so motor is not required too often. One door closes another opens, off to look at long distance routes.
IMG_20211108_103152761.jpg

Shimano long distance kit...

Two batteries and two e8004 4.6A chargers gives effective charging rate of 9.2A. One hour charge = two hours ride time in eco setting. Enables 80 mile days, so longer routes can become any distance you like!

Everywhere that sells food and drink will let you charge.

I found a virtually new second battery for just over £200. They come up now and then on well known auction sites.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
View attachment 45742

Shimano long distance kit...

Two batteries and two e8004 4.6A chargers gives effective charging rate of 9.2A. One hour charge = two hours ride time in eco setting. Enables 80 mile days, so longer routes can become any distance you like!

Everywhere that sells food and drink will let you charge.

I found a virtually new second battery for just over £200. They come up now and then on well known auction sites.
Just checked my charger model, its a E6002 1.8A so definitely an upgrade charger is on the list. How do you transport the second battery ?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Just checked my charger model, its a E6002 1.8A so definitely an upgrade charger is on the list. How do you transport the second battery ?
Depends on how far I'm going. I have a rack with panniers, but for multi day trips, a trailer works really well. Burley nomad at present, but working on a solar panel trailer based on a stripped down secondhand burley solo.

I prefer not to have a rucksack on my back, but the battery is less than 3kg so feasible that way too.

You are unlikely to find the fast chargers second hand. Quite new and pricey, but fast charging transforms what you can plan to. At a pinch, two slow chargers with two batteries is better than one, and the e6002 does come up cheap now and then. If you do multi day rides with overnight charging options, that would be fine. I wildcamp so charge during the riding day, so really need the speed!

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Depends on how far I'm going. I have a rack with panniers, but for multi day trips, a trailer works really well. Burley nomad at present, but working on a solar panel trailer based on a stripped down secondhand burley solo.

I prefer not to have a rucksack on my back, but the battery is less than 3kg so feasible that way too.

You are unlikely to find the fast chargers second hand. Quite new and pricey, but fast charging transforms what you can plan to. At a pinch, two slow chargers with two batteries is better than one, and the e6002 does come up cheap now and then. If you do multi day rides with overnight charging options, that would be fine. I wildcamp so charge during the riding day, so really need the speed!
Thanks for the advice, lots to think about. I like this part as I get older, I enjoy the technical side as much as the cycling. I have thought about a small trailer but again the older I get the less I take on tours. I have done a fair amount of touring on my Ridgeback panorama but in all honesty although I can use the ridgeback I prefer the electric bike.