Going rate for fixing a puncture ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Before I tell you what it has just cost me I was just wondering if maybe I am out of touch with LBS prices :)

Lynda

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've no idea but assuming you mean repaired and not replaced the tube or tyre, I'll guess £10.
Jim

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I would guess at 30 minutes work and taking into account shop overheads £12 to £15.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Ah, thats good then, it cost me £10.80.......never having had to pay for a puncture being fixed before, I had absolutely no idea, thinking about it, its very reasonable......he said it was the biggest thorn he had seen in a tyre !
Lynda

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Lynda you should have called me I would have done it for half the price.

I hope you are going to take the time to learn how to do it yourself because it is very simple. The back wheel takes a little more time and is a bit messy sometimes but the front wheel is a doddle.

I went to collect Jannie from work this week because she had a flat tyre. I was just thinking about charging her to fix the tyre. But I have just realised she was riding my bike.

Actually she can probably change it faster than I can.

Steve

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Lynda you should have called me I would have done it for half the price.

I hope you are going to take the time to learn how to do it yourself because it is very simple. The back wheel takes a little more time and is a bit messy sometimes but the front wheel is a doddle.

I went to collect Jannie from work this week because she had a flat tyre. I was just thinking about charging her to fix the tyre. But I have just realised she was riding my bike.

Actually she can probably change it faster than I can.

Steve
LOL

But, yes, you are right, I am definately looking for someone to teach me bike maintenance.

Lynda

pepston

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2011
Hi Lynda,
I discovered something not so long ago called SLIME. It`s in a bottle which fills both front and rear tyres (inner tubes) and feels latexed based. It has a nifty tool to remove the valve and a bit of tube to apply the gunky green liquid into the tube. It seals any punctures up to drawing pin size. Before I found the product I was averaging maybe 3 punctures a month as I do a lot of canal towpath riding but in 4 months..none. I highly recommend this product. Halfords £10. They also supply a plastic/rubber tyre liner made by SLIME which increases the tyre wall thickness by a couple of millimetres adding to the integrity. I fitted these products myself but I`m sure a nice person at your local bike shop would help you out, especially if they supplied the materials as most do. Good luck Lynda, Happy twiddlin.
Steve.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Lynda,
I discovered something not so long ago called SLIME. It`s in a bottle which fills both front and rear tyres (inner tubes) and feels latexed based. It has a nifty tool to remove the valve and a bit of tube to apply the gunky green liquid into the tube. It seals any punctures up to drawing pin size. Before I found the product I was averaging maybe 3 punctures a month as I do a lot of canal towpath riding but in 4 months..none. I highly recommend this product. Halfords £10. They also supply a plastic/rubber tyre liner made by SLIME which increases the tyre wall thickness by a couple of millimetres adding to the integrity. I fitted these products myself but I`m sure a nice person at your local bike shop would help you out, especially if they supplied the materials as most do. Good luck Lynda, Happy twiddlin.
Steve.
Hi Steve,

Hey, welcome to the forum.

If you read my post NOT a happy bunny you will see that I had left my emergency kit behind for the first time ever and in that bag was a nice new cylinder of green slime !!!
I think this is commonly known as sods law LOL
I have'nt ever used it before but I am intending using it now, I dont fancy another long lonely walk home :)

But I seriously want to learn how to fix a puncture just in case

Lynda

pepston

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2011
Just put SLIME in the tubes. It`ll get you home. The repair kits have instructions. Easy.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
I got the 2 new Fat Frank balloon tyres which I bought online fitted yesterday by Freeflow in Glasgow. They charged 20.00 which I thought was very good as they had to remove and replace the rear rack and also sorted out a bit of wiring which came became detached from the controller when I put the bike in the car.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
There have been many debates on here regarding the merits of these liquid tyre sealents. Here is one of them.

I have never bothered with slime, too messy for me and I can imagine it fouling up the valve. I fitted Marathon Plus tyres to my bike very soon after delivery. 9000 puncture free miles so far.

I have heard that those puncture proofing strips can actually cause a puncture. Apparently, the cut ends where you trim them to length can rub / nip the tube and put a hole in it.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Slime comes down to personal preference and has been done to death on the forum, i have used it for 5 years on 3 different bike and never had a puncture (or have i) anyway i did not put in my Agattu and got a puncture within a couple of months, but i still did not put it in, i changed my tyres for Big Apples with Kevlar (comfort with protection) so far, so good.

C

Cyclezee

About 25 years ago, soon after moving to MK, I bought a bike to commute the 6 miles to work. It was a Phil Corley Redway, a model from a well know local cycle shop and specifically designed for riding the local cycle network, today you might call it a Hybrid. One feature that attracted me was the guarantee against punctures.
I don't recall what the tyres were, but they had fitted Kevlar belts between tyre and tube, great I thought.

After 2 days I got my first puncture. There were no visible external signs of penetration, so I took the wheel back to the shop and let them repair it. About a week later, the same thing happened again and then sometime later it happened again. By this time I was getting fed up and tired of going back to the shop, the problem was discovered to be the Kevlar belts that were cut to length with utility snips leaving sharp edges that penetrated the tubes.
The shop fitted a new pair of Specialized tyres and tubes without Kevlar, problem solved.
Today there would not have thought twice, if you enjoy cycling more that repairing punctures, it just has to be Schwalbe Marathon Plus, OK they are not cheap, but compared to the time and money wasted fixing punctures, they are a bargain.
Word of warning though, no pneumatic tyre is puncture proof, the best you can hope for is puncture resistance.