Good afternoon Pedelecs.

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
I’m getting an E-Bike soon and thought I would join the Pedelecs forum - partly to tap into the considerable expertise that exists within the group and partly to share my experiences as an E-Biker. I live on the Yorkshire coast adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway track. For many years the track, known locally as the Cinder Track, has been used as a linear park allowing walkers, horse riders and cyclists access to some of Britain’s most spectacular scenery. The Cinder Track is also part of the National Cycle Network Route 1.

I cycled the route to Ravenscar on my old “bone shaker” a few weeks ago. I was pleased with my cycling but there was a price to pay when I got home! Anyone who knows the Cinder Track will be aware that it is very bumpy in places and is unforgiving for bikes without any suspension. This got me to thinking about getting a new bike with front suspension which, in turn led me on to considering the more substantial purchase of an E-Bike.

That is enough by way of an introduction. I’ll add to my story in future posts.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Lovely area. I'm sure you won't regret an ebike purchase if you go for it.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Cycled that trail a couple of years ago on our electrified Bromptons. I remember it being a bit bumpy in places. Welcome to the forum. What bike are you going to get?

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi suspension front forks do indeed iron out imperfections in the tracks you intend to ride (holidays in that area mainly hiking) Seat post suspension can for many be a godsend, but I believe rider comfort is gained more with balanced tyre pressure. Run the widest tyre your future bike will allow and experiment with tyre pressures.

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
All the advice about E-Bikes includes the very sensible refrain “Try before you buy.” Wise advice indeed. The difficulty occurs when we find ourselves in the middle of a Coronavirus lockdown. Stay at home - Save Lives - Protect the NHS, they said. My nearest E-Bike shop is at York, some 45 miles away, which made “Try before you buy” a criminal activity.

The Internet has an incredible capacity to confuse mere mortals such as myself. Brands, styles of bike and shades of Lycra abound and all information is contradictory. I learnt about Pedelecs and read, in particular, the advice for first timers.

I suppose, in the end, we make decisions based upon trust. I had bought a Brompton from my York cycle shop some years ago and trusted them. I started a conversation and narrowed my focus to a few brands and models. Then it was a case of looking at E-Bike reviews on YouTube - particularly Citrus Cycles at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada. The reviewer certainly puts the bikes through their paces. Instead of a sedate ride on a sunny day in California, during which we learn very little, the Citrus reviewer takes the bikes out in the rain, mud and hills. We learn a lot about the bikes capabilities but, of course, we didn’t “Try before we buy.” What use is a quick pedal up and down the road outside the shop?

So Jonah. With apologies. I’m not going to name the bike I decided to buy, just yet. I will do that in my next post.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good luck, especially with trying. Sadly many LBSs these days only allow a test ride round the car park, and only sell very limited brands.

You may find better service and better prices from good online dealers: Woosh, Juicy, Wisper.