Good Ice Tyres?

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Bike slipped out from under me this morning on the ice :eek:
(Luckily was on a cycle lane/pavement and not on the road, but the road was ice free!)

Anyone get any recommendations for grippier tyres for UK weather conditions :confused:

Currently running the stock Continental Cityride 700x42 tyres on my Kalkhoff Agattu at the moment, good tyres, but wonder if there's anything better? Happy to pay more if there is.

jen.

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
I recently went to Sweden, and they all have them over there. Schwalbe Ice Spikers. I think Noian make on too. Basically a hard compound tyre, with steel pins sticking out the tread. They only stick out a tiny bit, so they can be ridden on normal roads, but they are specifically for icy conditios. Probably not ideal for general winter use, unless you live in the sticks! They are very heavy, make the bike handle sloppily, and sound like a tank when you ride on the road, but boy do they grip on the ice. Only problem is I've only seen them in 26" size, not 700c, and I haven't seen them in the UK either. Yet. I think something like that will be a bit overkill, you can ride ice on normal tyres, you just need to be very very careful!

All the best

Lloyd

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Guess I should re-name the thread Black Ice Tyres!

Not looking for tyres just for riding on ice, but more for the UK - dry road, wet road, frosty road, BLACK ICE, wet road, dry road kind of thing.

Jen.