Good (uk) sub £1800 E-bike recommendations?

Johnorable

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2021
Hey!

I'm a pretty average cyclist, mostly just to & from University etc. and have always found cars to be a bit excessive for short-mid length journeys, but I've been looking to delve into the world of (hybrid) E-bikes and wondered if any of you had a good starting place?

I've looked (fairly extensively) into Halford's Carrera Crossfire-E (2.0) & Crossfuse, the former being my current top option. I've had the chance to trial it previously and admittedly loved it, but I've also seen a fair amount of controversy surrounding the cut-out/quality issues, hence I thought it might be a good idea to see what else is considerable in the £1000-£1800 price range.

I'm not too concerned with whether it's mid/hub drive, so long as it can last 40 miles+ (on eco, if needed) and preferably has a kickstand.

Any help/comments would be appreciated!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not much stock anywhere atm but look at the cube range of bikes or 2nd hand ones.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Crossfuse shouldn't be compered the dodgy Crossfire the latter is the awful HESC hub system and the former uses a Bosh mid drive.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
My sisters Crossfuse has the same Active line plus motor as my Cube acid one, the only difference being my 500 battery vs her 400.
Both cost less than 2K and ride pretty much the same and both capable of 40 miles but my 500 battery has a lot more juice left after a 35mile ride.
I’d happily buy another bike with a Bosch ALP motor witho thinking about it.

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
Very happy owner of a Cube Acid One here; well over 1,500 miles under the tyres and the battery and motor have both held up well. On my 2nd drivetrain and close to needing a 3rd but that should be expected.

Based on forum feedback and presence I would suggest taking a hard look at Whisper bikes - I've not ridden one but they look to be "buy and forget"

Take a look at the classifieds - if it was still available then I would have snapped up https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cannondale-synapse-neo-se-for-sale-light-grey.41116/ There are some great bikes that come through occasionally.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Camino is in stock at the moment.
Simple, comfortable and well equipped:

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
Very happy owner of a Cube Acid One here; well over 1,500 miles under the tyres and the battery and motor have both held up well. On my 2nd drivetrain and close to needing a 3rd but that should be expected.

Based on forum feedback and presence I would suggest taking a hard look at Whisper bikes - I've not ridden one but they look to be "buy and forget"

Take a look at the classifieds - if it was still available then I would have snapped up https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cannondale-synapse-neo-se-for-sale-light-grey.41116/ There are some great bikes that come through occasionally.
Thanks for the help - I'll take a look!

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
Woosh Camino is in stock at the moment.
Simple, comfortable and well equipped:

Hey! I was actually looking into the woosh bikes last night and actually had a few questions if you don't mind helping?

Namely:
- How do they have a throttle? I thought throttles weren't permitted in the UK
- What kind of waterproofing do the bikes have? I saw in the FAQ that it said they must be kept dry - is this meant more in the way that they shouldn't be left wet after usage?
- What's the availability like for the Gran Camino?
- I've heard you've got good support, but what happens if something breaks under warranty? I imagine getting a replacement/return etc. on an item not in-store would make it pretty hard actually return
- What makes the Gran Camino so much more expensive than the Camino? Aside from the bigger tires, is there a specific benefit to the former? Also, how are these bikes so affordable?
- Finally, do you offer a student discount? :)

Thanks for reading, I realise that's a lot of questions!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
- How do they have a throttle? I thought throttles weren't permitted in the UK
it's the twist and go throttle that is banned since 1/1/2026.
The throttle is disabled on the Camino (and also our other bikes), you cannot just sit on the bike and throttle away. You have to pedal a little before the throttle is activated. It will remain activated until either you hit the speed limit 15.5mph or brake.
- What kind of waterproofing do the bikes have? I saw in the FAQ that it said they must be kept dry - is this meant more in the way that they shouldn't be left wet after usage?
that's correct. The bike is splash-proof (IP56), not waterproof against immersion. You can ride in heavy rain by the electrics may get damaged if immersed in a deep pool for example. When you arrive after riding in the rain, you should always dry the bike and store it under shelter.
- What's the availability like for the Gran Camino?
All the Gran-Camino arriving before July are pre-sold. There will always be some cancellations but I can't promise. If you place order now for a Gran-Camino, it will be August delivery.
- I've heard you've got good support, but what happens if something breaks under warranty? I imagine getting a replacement/return etc. on an item not in-store would make it pretty hard actually return
Most components are freely available. We don't have any special components other than the electrics.
Like all manufacturers, we keep spares for our bikes. We'll always do our best to get your bike back on the road as soon as possible.
- What makes the Gran Camino so much more expensive than the Camino? Aside from the bigger tires, is there a specific benefit to the former? Also, how are these bikes so affordable?
The £170 difference is no huge, about 12%.
The Gran-Camino has a bigger motor and a better fork.
Also, how are these bikes so affordable?
That is because we sell directly to you.
- Finally, do you offer a student discount?
No. We only offer discount to bike shops.

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
it's the twist and go throttle that is banned since 1/1/2026.
The throttle is disabled on the Camino (and also our other bikes), you cannot just sit on the bike and throttle away. You have to pedal a little before the throttle is activated. It will remain activated until either you hit the speed limit 15.5mph or brake.

that's correct. The bike is splash-proof (IP56), not waterproof against immersion. You can ride in heavy rain by the electrics may get damaged if immersed in a deep pool for example. When you arrive after riding in the rain, you should always dry the bike and store it under shelter.

All the Gran-Camino arriving before July are pre-sold. There will always be some cancellations but I can't promise. If you place order now for a Gran-Camino, it will be August delivery.

Most components are freely available. We don't have any special components other than the electrics.
Like all manufacturers, we keep spares for our bikes. We'll always do our best to get your bike back on the road as soon as possible.

The £170 difference is no huge, about 12%.
The Gran-Camino has a bigger motor and a better fork.

That is because we sell directly to you.

No. We only offer discount to bike shops.
Thank you for the comprehensive answer!