GPS Tracker for £2 a month

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Personally I cant see how these trackers will aid getting a nicked bike back.
Scenario-- Bike gets stolen.
You track it to such and such and area or even address.
You contact the police and the police say..

Naff off. Nowt they can do.
They cant just go breaking down people doors on the say so of a member of the public, or even from the supplied data of a tracker, the tracker might be malfunctioning, or likely a dozen other legal reasons.
Are these GPS trackers accurate enough that they can pinpoint an address? From my experience with a GPS cat collar I seriously doubt it. Locating an item to within 50m in an urban environment is as good as useless.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are these GPS trackers accurate enough that they can pinpoint an address? From my experience with a GPS cat collar I seriously doubt it. Locating an item to within 50m in an urban environment is as good as useless.
One would have to stake out a few properties to determine the correct address, and then what? Cops won't act without evidence, and probably not even if - photos of the bike entering or leaving the scubag's property? If exiting, it could be on it's way to being sold... if it isn't being broken up to be sold as parts. Adverts on Gumtree or ebay/other would tie the stolen bike to a phone number or email address, which would be clear evidence if the Police bothered to investigate. Challenging thieves directly would lead to escalation... which is why I take my bike with me everywhere, folded in a bag. The GPS bike light, I use to alert me if it's being moved if I happen to be a couple of rooms away.

Last edited:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Vodaphone have your number... they're directly marketing at YOU! How can you resist? ;) (But of course it'll be £5.98 in total per month, after 12 months) (I'll stick to my £10 a year. I hate contracts any longer than a month...)
Where did you see that the price will increase after 12 months?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
When you first activate the Vodafone App and if you opt for the 24 month payment plan (which is cheaper than the pay monthly plan), it tells you the rate for the first 12 months (which is discounted) and then the full rate for months 13-24.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Post #92:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
When you first activate the Vodafone App and if you opt for the 24 month payment plan (which is cheaper than the pay monthly plan), it tells you the rate for the first 12 months (which is discounted) and then the full rate for months 13-24.
thank you I was only looking at the Vodafone site advert & FAQ

Reactions: Bikes4two

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Post #92:

Thank you I did not read the blue writing as I only glanced at the light tracker, as I have a suspension seat post so no room for it

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited: