GPS Tracker for £2 a month

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Oh I don't know, I will let the person employed to do this answer her emails first and if I do not get a response in 24 hours I will give him a nudge, the thing that concerned me was that in her email of Monday the suggestion was my bike should be here Friday but I am not convinced the author didn't realise this Friday is a Bank Holiday though that seems to count less and less nowadays. We had a customer on yesterday demanding we are open this Friday as he wants to come along and browse:eek:Wonder if I could get him to pay my wages bill for the day?
The very last thing I want to become is one of THOSE customers!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh I don't know, I will let the person employed to do this answer her emails first and if I do not get a response in 24 hours I will give him a nudge, the thing that concerned me was that in her email of Monday the suggestion was my bike should be here Friday but I am not convinced the author didn't realise this Friday is a Bank Holiday though that seems to count less and less nowadays. We had a customer on yesterday demanding we are open this Friday as he wants to come along and browse:eek:Wonder if I could get him to pay my wages bill for the day?
The very last thing I want to become is one of THOSE customers!
There's a huge difference, I think, between one of THOSE customers and you waiting over three weeks for a bike, and following it up politely through all available communication channels. That a Bank Holiday was mentioned as a delivery date is highly suspicious, because no carrier delivers then that I'm aware of, and it could have been an absent minded slip-up because there is no actual delivery date that she could quote. At this stage I would cease being polite and start being assertive - after over three freaking weeks waiting - politely demanding answers is not unjusified IMHO. Maybe it's stuck on it's way over from the factory in Portugal? It's all too unknown and shouldn't be. Three weeks gone from your warranty period? o_O

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm supposed to top up every 6 months with another tenner because it's on Giffgaff PAYG, but for some reason they haven't disconnected my number, or said that they would be doing so.
I think the rules are that it needs to make some sort of call/text every 6 months to keep it alive.

How often does it report back? I'd have thought each report would be a text, at 10p. That would soon get through a tenner.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think the rules are that it needs to make some sort of call/text every 6 months to keep it alive.

How often does it report back? I'd have thought each report would be a text, at 10p. That would soon get through a tenner.
Yes, you're right - Giffgaff haven't disconnected my number after 6 months because my GPS light has been sending me the odd text: low battery notifications and any time I exceed 35mph downhill lol (I've changed that recently to 40mph, which is more relevant to my bike being transported within another vehicle post-theft). I still haven't used £10 and it's been over a year. To communicate, it's all done using texts... so initial settings such as locking services/admin rights to your other mobile number and some other settings costs less than £1, and each time you set it to shock detection (ie someone fiddling about with your bike or locks), that costs 10p, and when you want to switch that off it costs another 10p etc. Anytime you want to know the location of the bike, you send it a textand it texts back co-ordinates and a Google Maps link. I'm pleased with this arrangement, because it doesn't require data, and GSM still works in deadspots often where other network protocols don't. There's an app available, but my phone is allergic to (additional) spyware.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt and Bikes4two

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Max!

The truck with your bike on it arrived this morning, we are unloading now!

Huge delays in Calais and Dunkirk due to P&O issues and new BREXIT red tape, so we are told.

Sorry about the delay it genuinely was out of our control, a truck normally takes 4 days this one has taken over two weeks.

Please accept my apologies for the delay and thanks for not being "one of those customers". We really do need need MAX TOLERANCE at the moment.

All the best, David

Reactions: Nealh and Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

The GPS function works really well too - the other month I saw a dying cat in the road. I can't bear to think about what I saw actually, it had been hit by a car and died rapidly and horribly before my eyes. I sent a text to my GPS tracker light for it's exact location, rather than mess about with Google Maps after the fact, for the Council to attempt reading of it's chip and notify it's owners. I had no way to carry the dead cat to a vet, I just had a folding bike with no storage and it was in the middle of nowhere and the middle of the night. The driver just drove off. Black sports car driving far too fast.

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Thats what the rules say but in my experience it differs, I had a Giff Gaff sim and every three months made a call with it, still got cut off and the Helldesk were worse than useless "Computer say No" springs to mind.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Well, that's what I call great customer service from Wisper Bikes:D

Anyway - @guerney - I think the tracker/light combo you talk about has merits and I like the 'movement detection' option - how sensitive is it?

Once I've evaluated the Voda Curve I might well look into the light/tracker for one of my other bikes - is the one you have like the pic below? At that price one could consider fitting the light/tracker and a Curve on the basis that the light is more obvious for a knowledgable thief who could just remove/disable/discard it and not look further for a second tracker such as the Curve which could be discretely hidden in a saddle bag or similar.

Heck, am I getting paranoid about this? Not really, I just enjoy electronic gizmos - :cool:

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
The truck with your bike on it arrived this morning, we are unloading now!

Huge delays in Calais and Dunkirk due to P&O issues and new BREXIT red tape, so we are told.

Sorry about the delay it genuinely was out of our control, a truck normally takes 4 days this one has taken over two weeks.

Please accept my apologies for the delay and thanks for not being "one of those customers". We really do need need MAX TOLERANCE at the moment.

All the best, David
I, along with many, many others cannot see any immediate benefit to Brexit, it has caused my colleagues and I hours of untold misery, both paperwork AND delays. However what we are all so quick to forget is the TRILLIONS of pounds worth of debt we are in , much of it caused by our "contributions" to the EU so now that has slowed perhaps our economic can improve. I strongly object to propping up another countries economy with our money because of that countries ineptitude!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats what the rules say but in my experience it differs, I had a Giff Gaff sim and every three months made a call with it, still got cut off and the Helldesk were worse than useless "Computer say No" springs to mind.
That's what I was expecting, but I think the texts are keeping that number alive: sending and receiving every so often. I have a nagging paranoia that it contains Chinese government audio monitoring capability, and can discern what I am typing from the sounds my computer keyboard makes, or it's watching me through a tiny hidden camera and sending images of my bloated naked self via the internet, after automatically hacking my wifi password...

• :D
Reactions: Max Tolerance

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well, that's what I call great customer service from Wisper Bikes:D

Anyway - @guerney - I think the tracker/light combo you talk about has merits and I like the 'movement detection' option - how sensitive is it?

Once I've evaluated the Voda Curve I might well look into the light/tracker for one of my other bikes - is the one you have like the pic below? At that price one could consider fitting the light/tracker and a Curve on the basis that the light is more obvious for a knowledgable thief who could just remove/disable/discard it and not look further for a second tracker such as the Curve which could be discretely hidden in a saddle bag or similar.

Heck, am I getting paranoid about this? Not really, I just enjoy electronic gizmos - :cool:
View attachment 46532
That looks like what I bought, it does quote TK-906 on the listing (I paid £26 at the time):

I've got to nip out now but can upload photos of the manual later if that helps. The shock detection needs a bit of shock, like picking the bike up and putting it down, or hitting the lock or something. I think it's sufficient, not overly sensitive - the warning text takes about 5 seconds to arrive.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Thanks for that @guerney but I've found the manual on line (it's here if anyone else wants a peek?). There's a lot of functionality there for the price.
  • I see it requires a GSM/GPRS cellular network which in laymens terms is 2G or 3G - I don't know if all UK SIMs provide that as 2G/3G is to be phased out - a minor point but something for a new user to be aware of.
  • The Amazon link shows that at £26 you had a good deal but cheaper than eBay. If you search Ali Express for TK906 then there are offerings similar to what you paid but of course you'll wait a few weeks for delivery.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
  • Thanks for that @guerney but I've found the manual on line (it's here if anyone else wants a peek?). There's a lot of functionality there for the price.
  • I see it requires a GSM/GPRS cellular network which in laymens terms is 2G or 3G - I don't know if all UK SIMs provide that as 2G/3G is to be phased out - a minor point but something for a new user to be aware of.
  • The Amazon link shows that at £26 you had a good deal but cheaper than eBay. If you search Ali Express for TK906 then there are offerings similar to what you paid but of course you'll wait a few weeks for delivery.
I took advantage of a flash Amazon sale, which are like buses: wait ages then three turn up at once. It's probably too old a product for flash sales now. Speedpak can be speedier of course - about two weeks.

Giffgaff uses O2, provides 2G. A lot of haulage fleets and large diesel generators etc. rely on 2G trackers, will be slow to upgrade, so I expect 2G will hang on far longer than 3G:

UK to switch off 2G and 3G by 2033 to boost UK telecoms networks | Evening Standard

5G is useless for rural areas.

This looks interesting, may even be small enough to hide inside the controller, battery (wired in), or elsewhere - however, it's battery is tiny. It's cheap enough a gamble... until they stop producing them in large numbers, and whack up the price in a year or so.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Well, I have had a note from David saying that it should be with me for tomorrow, Bloody ecstatic I am!
Quick update, we have put it on a pre 12.00 timed delivery. So XDP willing it will be with you tomorrow AM.

Here's our Lucy helping with the unloading this morning.

And our Izaak doing the PDI on your bike.

All the best, David

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Now all the driver has to do is find my house! He has my number so we should be fine. Really looking forward to this, as with most things I will overdo it right away and be knackered the rest of the week!
THIS is why you buy from a known business, the very best personal service.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
This looks interesting, may even be small enough to hide inside the controller, battery (wired in), or elsewhere - however, it's battery is tiny. It's cheap enough a gamble... until they stop producing them in large numbers, and whack up the price in a year or so.

@gsm.terra tried one of those back in post #28 (here) and Ali Express sell the GF-07 GPS for well under £10 shipped. At that price you have to wonder at its reliability. However, stick one of those under your saddle and an 'informed' thief may spot it, detach it and throw it away then leg it with your bike not knowing that your real tracker is else where doing its thing! :rolleyes:

Reactions: gsm.terra

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@gsm.terra tried one of those back in post #28 (here) and Ali Express sell the GF-07 GPS for well under £10 shipped. At that price you have to wonder at its reliability. However, stick one of those under your saddle and an 'informed' thief may spot it, detach it and throw it away then leg it with your bike not knowing that your real tracker is else where doing its thing! :rolleyes:
The price remains low for that tiny tracker, so it's likely unpopular and they still have large numbers of the things to sell. Removal of shock-aware trackers should still send the alarm text, unless the thief is super smooth. I might glue my GPS light on - I usually charge it at the same time as the bike battery, while that's on the bike. If the thief tries to hacksaw it off, I have a black belt in Origami...

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Fair cop! I knew it conducted, but I thought it was a lot less than metal. Seems like it does quite a good job at conducting.
My mistake - apols.
An interesting thing about Carbon Fibre, friend of mine was a mechanic at Lotus (the F1 team) First time they tried Carbon Fibre as a nose cone the radio antenna was fastened to it, they were unable to tell the driver the car was on fire and come in quick!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Max Tolerance