Grace MX or Haibike Enduro

Morrison

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2013
Has anyone had any experience of the above bikes and can comment on their relative strengths and weaknesses?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
HI Morrison,

Looks like you're out of luck:Both are expensive bikes & I doubt many on here will have ridden both enough to give a sensible comparison - Although that doesn't usually stop us pontificating, or the dealers pushing their wares :p

Not having ridden a Grace MX, the only comment I can make concerns the Haibike: Lovely bike, effortless up the small hill I tried one on, but a tad low-geared overall for extended road use. Superb offroader, which is what it's designed for.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Both bikes are reviewed in the recent Electric Bike Buyer's Guide - they prefer the Haibike which is I think the general view. The Grace is newer in the UK so there wont be many about who have tried them. You might also consider the KTM Erace and Focus Jarifa Offroad which are hub drive bikes.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I like the KTM erace P at £2300-dont bother with the 650P,same bike but £300 more for a small wheel size change. I like the XDruro Haibike FS SL at £2750 or if you are money no object the All Mountain at £4150 is very sexy. Have ridden all of them,great and purpose built off road bikes. But only if you are genuinely using the bike off road otherwise loads of choice at £1k less.
KudosDave

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Has anyone had any experience of the above bikes and can comment on their relative strengths and weaknesses?
I have a Grace MX, never tried the Haibike but had considered them. I chose the MX as I did not want the bother of derailleur gears, the MX having the NuVinci CVT and I find it brilliant. It also has the Gates carbon belt drive so cleaning or oiling.
Only a few weeks old now but I am sure I made the correct choice. Good on the road, hills & through the woods. A wonderful machine.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The choice is really between the Pro Connect X27 (or X24) which improves on the BionX system used by the Grace and the Sahel Harmony (4.5* in the Electric Bike Buyer's Guide) which uses a better crank motor and a higher capacity battery pack than that on the Haibike, along with the fully automatic NuVinci i360 hub.

And both Kalkhoffs are rather less expensive than the Grace and the Haibike.

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Nice impartial view Tim. My advice is to try a few of the different brands I really like the Grace both versions are nice in addition as David says eRace KTM is excellent and there is a good review on the electric bike section. It is really horses for courses as high end bikes are all good but it is about finding the one which best suits you. I loved the Grace MX and I say that even though we currently do not stock them! Hopefully you have some good local dealers where you can test them. Your are welcome to visit us we have the eRace in stock.

Good luck with the search!.
DW

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The choice is really between the Pro Connect X27 (or X24) which improves on the BionX system used by the Grace and the Sahel Harmony (4.5* in the Electric Bike Buyer's Guide) which uses a better crank motor and a higher capacity battery pack than that on the Haibike, along with the fully automatic NuVinci i360 hub.

These are a different class of bike and may be OK for what is needed. But if you want a mountain bike compare like with like.

I tested these and fine as they were, did not excite me. Morrison should try some bikes and take his time to be sure of making the right decision. It took me two years.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
The choice is really between the Pro Connect X27 Sahel Harmony

Tim - Don't quite know where the models you suggested come from? They are both urban commuter style bikes with the rack, mudguards etc. If he is comparing the Grace and the Haibike (Both serious off-roaders) he is clearly not looking at this style of bike you suggested?

Are you sure you read the original post title?

Regards
Martin

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
HI Morrison,

Not having ridden a Grace MX, the only comment I can make concerns the Haibike: Lovely bike, effortless up the small hill I tried one on, but a tad low-geared overall for extended road use. Superb offroader, which is what it's designed for.
Soooo Jack Handy basically what you are saying is it is very well made for the conditions it is designed for ;)

Remember if you are buying a off-roader to use on the road. Firstly your mad! :)
Secondly the front sprocket can be changed to a bigger one for around 30quid.

Regards
Martin

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Martin can you change the front ring on a Panasonic to a bigger one?
Apologies for of topic question.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Soooo Jack Handy basically what you are saying is it is very well made for the conditions it is designed for ;)

Remember if you are buying a off-roader to use on the road. Firstly your mad! :)
Secondly the front sprocket can be changed to a bigger one for around 30quid.

Regards
Martin
I'm not buying one at all - Simply attempting to keep the guy's thread live as no-one had responded after 20 hours or so:

I try to be honest when I spout opinions on here & admit when I don't have much in the way of experience to offer.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

Bit like suggesting a Jaguar when the user wants a Range Rover.

Morrison

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2013
So no ktm erace p available near me (london). (For such an expensive purchase I want to buy nearby.) They have the p650 available to order but it's £300 more and it's 1kg heavier and the range is the same. I like the grace mx but it doesn't come in a 16" or 17" frame size and the range doesn't appear to be any better than the ktm. I also like the neo extreme but that seems to have a few problems.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
neo xtreme is a good bike, and great fun at occasional/gentle off road, the hub motor gives you a different offroad experience to any of the crank drive bikes, especially when coupled with the torque sensor, you hit the upside of a bump, flick the peddles and get a huge burst of motor that flips you up and over (if that makes sense)

while i have had some quality issues, they've been addressed quickly efficiently and (critically for me) with a loan bike - however the xtreme is not an offroad bike per se, its a compromise with leanings towards offroad - if you want to do toe paths, tracks and the like its fine (sub XC) but for anything more hardcore than that, haibike.......haiiiiibbiiiikke, simply looking at the bike it exudes quality and off road beastiness...i'd also say i've never heard anyone say a bad word about the haibike who owns one.

best advice - ride them all, could be tough with the haibike due to supply :(, ride and see what you love, the ebikes all have very different characteristics, so its much more than a spec sheet choice imho.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I always think of myself a Land Rover sort of person rather than a sports car, hence my preference for mountain bikes even for road use. I am not in competition or in a hurry, I ride for pleasure. The Grace MX pleases me, not doubt the Haibike would have too. I road a Macina Bold at the Manifold do organised by Kudos Dave and would have been happy with that, but would have hankered for the MX eventually. Not an easy decision till many have been ridden.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
haibike.......haiiiiibbiiiikke, simply looking at the bike it exudes quality and off road beastiness...i'd also say i've never heard anyone say a bad word about the haibike who owns one.

best advice - ride them all, could be tough with the haibike due to supply
See new Haibike 2014 details here - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/15212-line-up-new-2014-haibike-xduro-models-details-specs-pictures-follow.html

I will be updating with more details over the next couple of days.

I also have here a test model off the FSAM, FSSL & RC29 in stock.
Plus one of the renowned RX Pro's left! Just one though..

Regards
Martin