Gravel bike conversion

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
I’m in the process of rebuilding my gravel bike it’s a Canondale Caadx with hydraulic disc brakes. Thinking of a midrive system. Has anyone converted such a bike.

Reactions: Pedaluma

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
I would watch doing any Cannondale as their bottom bracket shell isn't BSC THREADED its a totally different bearing system so while i expect a skilled bike engineer could work his way around it it wouldn't be a job for a pilgrim.. and if you are looking a fitting a mid motor be aware that in both the popular motors the bracket outer shell has to be flat with little or no swelling or plastic/nylon brackets eg to guide and control gear inner steel cabling.. how do i know... called experience.. have done 25 to date the 26th didn't work mainly because Whyte had swelled the bracket to allow internal cabling and hydro hose to come through...

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hydraulic brakes - how do you plan to connect the brake cutouts?
I guess the battery options are downtube or a frog fitting? Any thoughts?
What size are your rims? 26"/700c rims are common, I was told 29er rims were same diameter as 700c but wider (but I've not confirmed)
Not relevant if you go for mid drive, but for info rear drive might be tricky - the alloy framed bikes I've looked at often have very shallow rear dropouts so making the axle & anti-rotation bits secure needs thinking about.

I've not tried any mid-drive conversions so I'll let others give suggestions about that area :)

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hydraulic brakes - how do you plan to connect the brake cutouts?
Most (not all) mid-drive systems are torque sensor, so no need for brake cutouts.

It's easy to find adaptors if you do need them. eg
or you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere or even make up your own.

Pedaluma

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2020
I’m in the process of rebuilding my gravel bike it’s a Canondale Caadx with hydraulic disc brakes. Thinking of a midrive system. Has anyone converted such a bike.
Use the e10 chain for electric bikes and you will be fine with your 10-speed. I have done 30 or so such conversions. Yours will be better than new eBikes from stores. You will likely want to mill the inside of the bottom bracket shell to remove burs. You have a beautiful bike!

Attachments

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210225012913&SearchText=ebike+hydraulic+brake+cut+off Hydraulic brakes have a different power cut off than the normal kit so you would need to either chose a seller that will sell the option or buy separately.

Going mid-drive because? ...

Reactions: Leeroy

Graham Glover

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2021
I nead a controller and throttle for my wife's Di Blasi R34 motor as a24 volt+and a switched 24 volt negative a 3 pin PAS cable and an unused 6 pin Hall conecter,there is some sort of electical unit between the 3 pin motor conecter and the PAS conecter.can you please advise what is required and connections,thanks Graham photos of motor and connections attached.

Attachments