Green Edge Black Star 2 folding bike

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the Green Edge black Star 2 electric folding bike? I need something that will go in the boot of my car easily

It's available at Electric Bikes direct in Battersea which would be accessible for me, and has a couple of good reviews on their site.

Basically I need to check that it's a proper full throttle bike, as my existing pedelec is not powerful enough for me on hills (as I have a disability). And that it's fairly easy to dismantle, and how small does it fold down to? I know nothing is really as easy & compact as a Brompton, but a Bromptom + electric kit sounds a bit complicated to me!

Many thanks if anyone has any good recommendations for a lightweight electric folding bike.

best wishes,
Isobel

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Folding Electric Bike

Isobel I recently bought my wife a Batribike Quartz SE Folding E bike .To date I have done 160 miles on it and am very pleased with it . The only model available in September was the SE with the 26.5V 8Ah battery, as the 10Ah models were sold out and the 2011 Model was due .The total weight including battery is 21.9Kg . I lift it down a flight of 5 steps regularly but haven`t folded it and put it in my car , although it arrived in the Dealer`s Citroen Picasso folded .Because the battery capacity is lower the price at £649 was £100 cheaper than the 10Ah Model .The 2011 Model is now out and the weight with battery is up to 23.4Kg as the motor is now 36V and the battery is 10Ah .The price is now £799 . I`ve looked up the Green Edge and it has a 36V Motor and the battery is 13Ah . The price is well over the £1000 and the weight quoted is 19Kg which must be without battery .
I wouldn`t want to be lifting one of these into a car boot regularly unaided ,although I am 71 years old .If you did, it would be helpful to be able to remove the battery quickly to lighten the lift .Some have quick release seats that tilt to aid this , mine hasn`t , I have to remove the seat with post . The later model has the battery mounted on the carrier , which ought to come off easier and the motor has been moved from the front wheel to the back .
One thing to remember after reading posts on this forum , is that the higher Ah batteries cost a lot more to replace than the lower value ones .
I find that I can get 35- 40 miles on the 8Ah one mainly in low and medium assist . My home town of Barry is hilly and I haven`t got off on any of them to-date .
My advice would be to try some and get them to demonstrate the folding operation to you and have a go lifting it into your boot .