Greeting from Wally

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Hi guys, I am Wally, xx years old and live in beautiful Derbyshire.
Lately I got interested in a Pedelec but have honestly not much of a clue what to buy. I would need it mainly for daily commuting to Work about 10 click back and forth, which I used to do on a bicycle a while ago, but now I am too lazy and find myself too often in a´my car. So I want to motivate myself with engine support.
What I see at the dealers here is either crap which probably fall apart after it left the store or its probably been designed by Maserati (at least the price is)
All I want is a decent Bike which doesn't look like a Mars shuttle vehicle with own oxygen tank and which doesn't break my budget.(about 2000 quid)
I still got a bit of time, planning to buy it with the Christmas bonus, so no rush and open to even "order" one.

Reactions: AntonioTorres

AntonioTorres

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Hi Wally!
I guess we are on the same page here! I've got interested in Ebike lately due to the pandemic, want to get around but don't want to use public transport. Seems like there's a demand and surge for it! Agree it shouldn't break your budget & also look decent as well. Have you done your research on which bike yet?

Reactions: WallyM

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi guys, I am Wally, xx years old and live in beautiful Derbyshire.
Lately I got interested in a Pedelec but have honestly not much of a clue what to buy. I would need it mainly for daily commuting to Work about 10 click back and forth, which I used to do on a bicycle a while ago, but now I am too lazy and find myself too often in a´my car. So I want to motivate myself with engine support.
What I see at the dealers here is either crap which probably fall apart after it left the store or its probably been designed by Maserati (at least the price is)
All I want is a decent Bike which doesn't look like a Mars shuttle vehicle with own oxygen tank and which doesn't break my budget.(about 2000 quid)
I still got a bit of time, planning to buy it with the Christmas bonus, so no rush and open to even "order" one.
I've ridden, owned and fixed just about every type of ebike. Don't denigrate the cheap ones. Contrary to popular belief, some of the cheapest ones can be the most reliable. Bikes in the middle ground from established brands have had many years of learning and development to get where they are.

There's no doubt in my mind that bikes with hub-motors make the best commuters. They're more convenient, more reliable and have lower running costs. The established good quality ones cost around £1500 to £1700. that's not to say that cheaper ones won't be up to it.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That may be because you're a bit late to the party. Many have talked here of their local bike shops (and National chains too) being sold out of the middle-ground e-bikes given the massive extra demand brought about by lock-down.

Still, take heart. New 2021 models should be arriving soon. Sadly there probably won't be many 2020 models left to be sold off cheaply as we usually find.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My China kit hub bikes get me every where I want to go and includes 160km off road riding, if I were to listen to a lot of the crap people write on this forum I should be using a new bike every ride.

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Thanks for the quick reactions guys- I haven't figured out yet how to reply individually, so I do that all in one, please forgive me.
I have no yet decided or even looked closely at any particular model. True is that most dealers just wave me off and say "out of stock" or show me into their dusty and dark section of their storage area where Dracula and other hideous creature thrive. i only oriented myselkf a bit online and saw some more or less interesting bikes . One thing is sure, I want a front hub motor, it's easy to change if broken, Buddy of mine even placed his regular bicycle wheel in there and waits since 3 months for the replacement motor. But he can bike ! I also enjoy regular biking and would do that more often if there would not be the steep hills nearby :D... Just kidding. Yes, gearshift would be nice, therefore also the front hub motor is probably best.
But I am open to suggestions of course.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Front hub isn't always so good for steep hills and can loose traction on loose/slippery surfaces even wet roads, that is not to say they are no good.

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Hi Wally!
I guess we are on the same page here! I've got interested in Ebike lately due to the pandemic, want to get around but don't want to use public transport. Seems like there's a demand and surge for it! Agree it shouldn't break your budget & also look decent as well. Have you done your research on which bike yet?
First I have looked around a bit at dealers, but that is rather fruitless, maybe in London I can get some better alternatives. But as you say, they are all sold out, so I looked online and found a few interesting ones.
But of course I am still searching, learning and getting more info. (Here in the forumalso )

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for the quick reactions guys- I haven't figured out yet how to reply individually, so I do that all in one, please forgive me.
I have no yet decided or even looked closely at any particular model. True is that most dealers just wave me off and say "out of stock" or show me into their dusty and dark section of their storage area where Dracula and other hideous creature thrive. i only oriented myselkf a bit online and saw some more or less interesting bikes . One thing is sure, I want a front hub motor, it's easy to change if broken, Buddy of mine even placed his regular bicycle wheel in there and waits since 3 months for the replacement motor. But he can bike ! I also enjoy regular biking and would do that more often if there would not be the steep hills nearby :D... Just kidding. Yes, gearshift would be nice, therefore also the front hub motor is probably best.
But I am open to suggestions of course.
I have been building and working on electric bikes for 10 years. I was an electric bike mechanic in a shop for 25% of that time. I can tell you that removing a front motor is not easier than a back one. It's about the same or slightly more difficult depending on whether you have lawyers lips on the drop-outs or torque arms. A rear motor is easier to get back in too because the axle gets guided in by the drop-outs and there are no handlebars that move all over the place while you try to get the axle in.