Greetings to all pedelecers!

davecoast

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2017
Ayrshire
Hi folks,

I've cycled most of my life and had various types of bike. My current machine is a Claud Butler Dalesman tourer, but my cycling needs at present of popping to the shops and leisure use find it very much under utilised. So it's time for it to find a new home. And time for me to find a new bike. And possibly one for the wife too. Although I think her idea of an e-bike is something more akin to a mobility scooter ie no effort required!

I'm going for an e-bike primarily to take the sting out of any hills and headwinds and to start using the bike more instead of the car. I've lost count of the number of times I've jumped into the car to go to the local shop because it's a bit windy. Can you tell I don't like headwinds? And that's even on dropped handlebars! But then I do have big ears....

Anyway, I think for my needs I've narrowed my choice down to the Kudos Tourer Nexus 8, and....well it was going to be the Woosh big bear, but with the smaller 18 inch frame, the 43cm chainstays, my 6ft height and size 11 shoes would mean my much needed panniers would be taking an awful beating from my heels.

I would give 'Kudos' to Cyclotricity though. The Revolver looks really good for the price, but the nexus 8 with full chaincase on the Tourer edges it for me. The Prorider Dynamo also looks good but only nexus 3 speed hub.

So if any of you folks out there could offer any thoughts on the Kudos tourer or viable alternatives in the price range up to around £1000 that would be much appreciated.

I was considering the smaller framed Kudos Safari for my wife who is just over 5ft tall and 65kg. Would the beast mammoth weight of this machine be of concern, particularly on hills?

Now let me just find that extension socket....

Reactions: Sarabee

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hi Dave

Just to say welcome and I'm sure someone will be along to advise you soon. The only advice I have is for your wife - she will love an ebike! It's just like cycling and nothing like cycling at the same time. When I'm on mine I feel thirty years younger. And, as you say, great for cutting through a headwind although I guess the headwinds are stronger up there.
Hope you both find great bikes.

davecoast

Mar 11, 2017
Ayrshire
Hi Dave

Just to say welcome and I'm sure someone will be along to advise you soon. The only advice I have is for your wife - she will love an ebike! It's just like cycling and nothing like cycling at the same time. When I'm on mine I feel thirty years younger. And, as you say, great for cutting through a headwind although I guess the headwinds are stronger up there.
Hope you both find great bikes.
Hi Sarabee,

Thanks for your quick reply/post. I'm don't normally subscribe to forums etc. I don't have Facebook or Twitter. But I felt it would be worthwhile to join this as I know we get people representing some manufacturers here. And some knowledgeable people who have first hand experience of the bikes that are on offer here in the UK. In my research of the current staple of bikes I've been surprised by the lack/inconsistency of detail on some of the models. But from what I can acertain I think the Kudos tourer may be the most suitable for me. What do you ride?

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
I can't give you any advice, Dave. I just bought a pretty step through Chinese ebike from a local company (ERanger) based on the following: reviews, looks, ease of use and somewhat price. We live in a very flat area and I'm probably not about to start mountain biking although when I see the photos on here I wish I was a bit younger and more knowledgeable.
It does the job for me and I'm happy with it going out for an hour or so every day. Arthritic knee means I can't walk far but I can cycle for as long as my bum can stand it :)
I also liked the look of the Woosh and Juicy bikes but we are out in the sticks and I wanted to try a bike before ordering in case I couldn't physically pedal far enough. Needn't have worried.
There seem to be many knowledgeable folk on here with years of experience but most of the time I don't understand the technical bits :)

davecoast

Mar 11, 2017
Ayrshire
I can't give you any advice, Dave. I just bought a pretty step through Chinese ebike from a local company (ERanger) based on the following: reviews, looks, ease of use and somewhat price. We live in a very flat area and I'm probably not about to start mountain biking although when I see the photos on here I wish I was a bit younger and more knowledgeable.
It does the job for me and I'm happy with it going out for an hour or so every day. Arthritic knee means I can't walk far but I can cycle for as long as my bum can stand it :)
I also liked the look of the Woosh and Juicy bikes but we are out in the sticks and I wanted to try a bike before ordering in case I couldn't physically pedal far enough. Needn't have worried.
There seem to be many knowledgeable folk on here with years of experience but most of the time I don't understand the technical bits :)
Hi Sarabee,

That's ok. The fact you've mentioned e-ranger bikes reminded me of the plethora of e-bike sellers here in the UK. They actually look like good quality bikes, so I'm sure you're glad of you're purchase. We are mainly flat here, but there are the odd steep hills of short distance, but I like the idea of the nexus hub not only for the gear range, but also the lack of maintenance required. That's good to hear that you can cycle for an hour but not be able to walk very far. It demonstrates the efficiency of the bike in some way, although I wonder how you may cope when it comes to hills. But that isn't a concern for you, so you can just enjoy the ride. By the way, it becomes easier on your behind the more you do it, becoming accustomed to it. This is true for hardtail bikes without suspension. You could also upgrade to a different saddle or suspension seatpost if the surface you're riding on is in any way rough. I am considering upgrading myself when I get my new bike to a Suntour NCX seatpost as again it gets great reviews and seems to do the job of effective rear suspension.

davecoast

Mar 11, 2017
Ayrshire
Hi Sarabee,

That's ok. The fact you've mentioned e-ranger bikes reminded me of the plethora of e-bike sellers here in the UK. They actually look like good quality bikes, so I'm sure you're glad of you're purchase. We are mainly flat here, but there are the odd steep hills of short distance, but I like the idea of the nexus hub not only for the gear range, but also the lack of maintenance required. That's good to hear that you can cycle for an hour but not be able to walk very far. It demonstrates the efficiency of the bike in some way, although I wonder how you may cope when it comes to hills. But that isn't a concern for you, so you can just enjoy the ride. By the way, it becomes easier on your behind the more you do it, becoming accustomed to it. This is true for hardtail bikes without suspension. You could also upgrade to a different saddle or suspension seatpost if the surface you're riding on is in any way rough. I am considering upgrading myself when I get my new bike to a Suntour NCX seatpost as again it gets great reviews and seems to do the job of effective rear suspension.
Also, I meant to add that, based on my location I'm not able to try out any of the bikes I'm interested in, so all I can really go on is the manufacturers/sellers description/photos and any reviews/advice I can glean from this forum.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Also, I meant to add that, based on my location I'm not able to try out any of the bikes I'm interested in, so all I can really go on is the manufacturers/sellers description/photos and any reviews/advice I can glean from this forum.
At least you can return a bike if it doesn't met your expectations when you order online or by phone but I didn't want to put anyone to that hassle if it was just my physical limitations.
I can get up all the ramps on the sea front defences quite easily by going into a low gear and higher power assist but a long haul hill might be quite different!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What about converting the dalesman? Put a motor on it and fly.
There are some lightweight ones that would make a difference.
It could have you doing some nice rides again.

davecoast

Mar 11, 2017
Ayrshire
Hi D8ve,

Thanks for your post. Yes I have considered converting my current bike, but I think with the change in components I'm looking for (the nexus 8 hub appeals to me) it may end up more expensive. And I'm not sure the Dalesman would like a nexus hub with it's vertical drop outs; maybe need to add a chain tensioner.

I'm 95% sure the Kudos tourer is the way to go. Sure I won't have a nice steel frame and slick brifters. But then I'll have a bike that's ready made with all the wiring sorted out and running tidily through it's frame. The integrated lights that run off the battery are a big plus point for me. Don't get me wrong, I can strip a bike down to it's bearings without blushing, but it just seems more convenient with the new bike. And yes it will be new.

I'm really looking for opinions, thoughts, reviews or experiences with these two bikes in particular: Kudos Tourer and Kudos Safari.
I've read Jimod's review from 2011 and have started a conversation with him (is that the only way I can contact him-equivalent of private message?), but no reply as yet. I know electricbikemag had a review of the Tourer a few years back but I'm unable to access that.

To Sarabee, Yes it does give me some peace of mind that I can return the bike, though Kudos terms and conditions warns me that it may be "particularly expensive". Oh and the warranty "does not include labour, transportation costs or investigative costs in fault diagnosis". So I guess if it breaks you fix it yourself or face a hefty bill.

I'm glad you've found a bike that you enjoy Sarabee.

Thanks again for your input folks, and anyone else with some feedback would be appreciated. I've asked Jimod directly about some specifics on the Tourer.

Happy pedalling all!

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Dave

For a Grand, I'd also consider the Wisper 905SE if I were you:

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Wisper_Bikes/Wisper_905se_Cross_Bar_2016_Stealth_Electric_Bike.aspx

Or, if you can stretch to it, the 905 Torque:
http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Special_Offers/Ex_Demo_Wisper_905_Torque_16ah.aspx

I rode several e-bikes last Autumn for test rides before buying and the 905 was frontrunner for me, had I bought new. I'm 6'4" and size 14 plates, so if it fitted me, I'd had thought you'd be okay.

Happy bike hunting.

Gaz :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

davecoast

Mar 11, 2017
Ayrshire
Hi Gaz,

Thanks for your post. I did consider the Wisper models, but for less money I can get the Kudos Tourer with a nice sealed internal geared hub that has an extra gear and better gear range. I think the extra money for the Wisper is worth it for the disc brakes and the warranty though, which is better. And also the styling. To my eyes they are one of the most stylish bike ranges around. Also, with the 18inch frame on the Wisper I'm not sure there would be enough heel clearance with my panniers on. And they are large Crosso dry panniers (60 litres). You didn't say if you had tried panniers with the Wisper... Also the fact that the Wisper is a rear hub motor, combined with my loaded panniers I feel would make for a bike that was too rear heavy. The Tourer has front hub motor, so better balanced weight-wise.

Thanks again for your input. Any other comments about the Kudos cycles welcome.