Group meetings?

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Has the idea of occasional meetings been mooted previously?

I for one would very much enjoy hearing someone talk through a project or one of the forum's 'heavy hitters' (no names, but you know who you are!) speak about one of the more recondite aspects of this hobby.

Any comments, anyone?

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Good idea Andy, though quite difficult logistically I would imagine. Perhaps some of the e-bike companies could sponsor (or organise?) an e-bike "conference with " celebrity" experts and guest speakers/worshops.

I suggested something along those lines a while back and Frank Curran of Powabyke was keen to host one in Bath.

Also, we might then get to know what The Flecc looks like ( is he Michael Schumacher?) :)

bw
musicbooks

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Was there some talk about a meet and ride in the new forest a while ago? Ideal place i would have thought. Fairly local for me as well:)
Mel

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Yes, I think there was talk on a meeting in or near New Milton in the New Forest. There is a motorcycle museum and one of the e-bike manufacturers has a base there.

Nick

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Good to see some enthusiasm.:)

Are there two types of meeting? One would be the larger scale, more formal, eg manufacturer hosted event, with a couple of dozen members expected. (As per the Musicbooks/Powerbyke/Bath, Tiberius/New Forest examples.)

The other type would be more ad hoc and informal, perhaps held near a member who has a particular project to talk through. The venue for this might be simply a room in a pub, for example? For these even as few as half a dozen would be fine.

What do people think?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I'm up for a get together and a ride in the New Forest, but I think that would be for Wisper to set a date.

What I can reveal is that a few of us are working on a repeat of the Exmoor Endurance ride - The Ching Challenge - that happened last September. The date for 2009 is Wednesday 9th September. Details will be posted very soon.

Nick

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Meetings

There does seem to be a diary of events starting to emerge with the superb Tour de Presteign and now the Ching Chalenge. I would like to become involved in a London event if anyone is interested in sharing the load?

It would be good to have a meeting on the evenings either preceeding or after one or all these events.

What would be on you agenda if you had to set one Andy?

All the best David

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi David

Thanks for asking.

A couple of thoughts

If the meeting were member-based, then I think having someone talk through a bike conversion project would be excellent. Not describing a straightforward fitting of a kit, but, say, one where the components have been separately sourced and combined.

Frank’s Tongxin conversion would be a good example of this (I am not suggesting you have to do it, Frank – just giving this to illustrate the idea!) Different motors used, issues of choice of controller, dealing with controller problems, emailing someone call ‘eCrazyman’, etc.

Doing this should give the possibility of covering the basics in a way comprehensible to relative newcomers, whilst still being of interest to those who are more expert.

A company-based meeting might use a different approach. Depending on location, then an opportunity to try products would be welcome, though not essential. The company would need to do something active, though, not merely make bikes available.

One example, if possible, would be to talk about forthcoming or possible future models. This would provide the company with an opportunity to get some feedback from a range of relatively well-informed (compared with the market in general) potential customers, whilst being of interest those attending.

Of course, it may not be the right time for the company to expose its new products in this way, in which case something different would be needed, for example, to talk through technical issues such as how to trouble-shoot. This could provide a natural and useful focus for discussion.

What do others think?

Andy

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Meet on Saturday the 25th July at Sammy Millers Museum.

Was there some talk about a meet and ride in the new forest a while ago? Ideal place i would have thought. Fairly local for me as well:)
Mel
I do believe it was myself some weeks ago who muted the idea of a meet at Sammy Millers Museum. How about Saturday the 25th of July at, say, 10 30 am with a ride and stop off for drinks/lunch at somewhere like Lymington or Beaulieu, or rural areas nearby, both places not too far away and with pleasant rides to get there. Return at about 5pm I would envisage.
Weather permitting of course though unless it's really tipping down should be ok, please post your thoughts.
Sammy Millers Motor Cycle Museum, Bashley Cross Roads, New Milton, Hampshire, BH25 5SZ.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Likewise, its the sort of thing I would be interested in, but I can't make that date.

Nick

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I think this is a great idea. Sadly it's too far to get to on my bike - about 5 days for me! The 2 seater petrol miser is up for replacement soon and the first thing I'll be sorting out is a bike carrier.