Grrrr

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Oh come on flecc, get real, this is hardly a representative thread on the popularity of the monarchy, it makes you sound like you are clutching at desperate straws to try to prove your half baked theory :rolleyes:

Let me make my stance on royalty perfectly clear, whilst I dont agree with minor royalty 'hangers on' I think this great country would be a much poorer sadder place without our royal family and the tireless work that the main members do.
I am very proud to be British and very proud of our unique royal family and the special standing that I feel it gives us in the world at large.....is that definitive enough allegiance for you ?

Lynda :)

PS.....its just been announced the new prince is called George Alexander Louis.....

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
What a hilarious thread, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages. Hilarity aside, I do wish the little chap the very best of life, and as Royals go, I reckon Wills and his Mrs are well placed to make a valuable and constructive contribution to society, both here and abroad.

Nonetheless, for my five pennorth, I do consider myself to be a Royalist. I'm certainly not a fan of the myriad royal hangers-on, and the tax payer would be better served by restricting the civil list entitlement to just the top line solely. Eitherways, I'm sure they could manage without it if need be.

I believe her Royal Majesty The Queen Elizabeth is completely wonderful. Wealth, as the more enlightened of us will have realised, is only a measure of the fun you've had. There are plenty of rich miserable people about. The Queen has devoted her life to the fulfillment of her duties as a vocation. I certainly wouldn't want the job, even with a civil list entitlement.

I also would like The Queen to have an increased level of influence in the affairs of state, I think it's more important now than at any time in the last 100 years. Seeing as the current, self opinionated, corrupt, lying shower of sh*ts that run our alleged democracy are largely amongst the lowest of the low on the integrity scale, and continue to line their pockets through myriad corrupt schemes. Their sanction of major industries' disgusting goings on across all aspects of our well being and the environment appall me.

Ok, the royals have had their share of dirty laundry, what monarchy hasn't, but I believe the Queen and Prince Charles, despite his shortcomings, have a genuine altruistic desire to do good for their subjects, and not to mess up the planet.

Rant over, I'm off to my bunker as I suspect I may get some stick for this post. Godspeed to Prince whateverhisnameis, may he live long and prosper. Where are the descendants of Guy Fawkes? That's what I'd like to know.:eek:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Oh, I dunno Mike, I kind of get the impression that the welsh and the scots like the monarchy, I mean, why on earth wouldnt they :confused:

Lynda,
Elizabeth is the Queen of England, not Britain.
A people know when they are snubbed.
I was at a Pavarotti in the park concert in Swansea some years ago. There were at least 5,000 people in the audience. The programme started with 'God Save the Queen'
About 20 people including my French student stood up, the rest remained lounging on the grass.
In contrast, when they played 'Mae Hen Wladd fy Nhadau' all the field stood up.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Still no reason for them not to like her though surely, I would think the majority of sane minded people would admire and look up to our queen, I think her work ethic is an inspiration.....a pity not more of our, albeit still small, but very expensive, congenital permanently work shy sub strata of humanity didnt share it.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh come on flecc, get real, this is hardly a representative thread on the popularity of the monarchy, it makes you sound like you are clutching at desperate straws to try to prove your half baked theory
Typical distortion, I gave that as an example of the online opinion, not as the whole evidence.

The anger, indeed often fury, of people over the media's excessive coverage of the royal birth reveals the truth. The majority of the population tolerate the royal family, but toleration isn't support.

That's my position too, I'm not a republican and am not greatly concerned about the pennies they cost us. But I do consider them an irrelevance and do not support the institution.

Just remember Lynda, the estimates of the financial benefits of tourism and royalty are just that, guesses by the government as they freely admit by stating them to be estimates. That means it's not for me to prove the figures are false, it's for them to prove they are true.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Well, flecc, I think if any distortion is being shown you are every bit as guilty of it.

Whilst some people undoubtably are angry at the excess coverage of the birth, I imagine their anger is against the media and not the royal family surely.
This 'anger' doesnt prove that they only tolerate, and not support, the royal family.... only that they dont like their normal programmes being disrupted for hours by coverage of the birth.

As for the financial benefits, whether real, imaginary or inflated, they make not a jot of difference to my opinion on having a Royal family.....they are a huge asset to this country that cannot always be measured by money, some benefits are far more important than money, in my opinion.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
PS.....its just been announced the new prince is called George Alexander Louis.....
So all that accession equality malarkey was because he's getting a 'gal's name' ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
my opinion on having a Royal family.....they are a huge asset to this country that cannot always be measured by money, some benefits are far more important than money, in my opinion.

And I respect your opinion of course, while mine is the opposite. I won't be around for the outcome, but I don't think there's any certainty that George will one day be a king of England.

He could have well over 50 years to wait, and in that time this country will undergo huge changes. Any more decline and a departure from the EU and we could end up as the 51st state of the USA!

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
And I respect your opinion of course, while mine is the opposite. I won't be around for the outcome, but I don't think there's any certainty that George will one day be a king of England.

He could have well over 50 years to wait, and in that time this country will undergo huge changes. Any more decline and a departure from the EU and we could end up as the 51st state of the USA!
King George of Old England, 51st state of the USA, sounds all good to me, especially the departure of the EU, Things are starting to look up for the old country. Europe will die under a pile of paperwork.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Well, you know what they say flecc.....the only thing certain in life is death :(

Its also certain that neither of us will be around to see him on the throne or even know if he ever is, or even if we do become the 51st state of the USA :eek:

Which is why I dont actually waste any of my precious life wondering or worrying about it....btw...nice to see more royalists coming out of the 'pedelecs woodwork' though isnt it ;)

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
... I would think the majority of sane minded people would admire and look up to our queen
I used to like her old Mum. Wonderful old dear, with great taste in hats. Apparently she had a habit of going up to people at receptions and starting conversations with "Hello. You look like you could do with a drink."

Top lady :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Lynda,
I feel that you just do not understand the Welsh.
Why should I feel more at home here
Gymanfa Ganu Welsh Hymn at North American Festival of Wales - YouTube
rather than Westminster Abbey?
Even though she is presumably American, the musical director is acting just like we do in Wales at Cymanfa Ganau, explaining the hymn and getting the singing to improve.

Maybe I dont Mike, but I believe the queen is still queen of the United Kingdom not just england ?

They may have their own parliament or assembly but they are still part of the UK, along with scotland and northern Ireland.

Personally I find it very sad that countries and even counties these days say they want to leave the UK.

As far as I am concerned, if thats the case, let them go but let them go totally and not still depend on the rest of the UK to support them.

I think we all know that Wales, Cornwall, Scotland et al are not able to support themselves financially without being part of the whole UK.

Its the same in Spain,and as I say, I just find it sad and, no, I dont really understand why they would want to :confused:

Im more than happy to hear the reasoning behind that way of thinking, maybe Im missing something....

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
You cannot count those who stay mute on the subject a vote for or against. The real question is what do you put in its place a politcal appointed Head of State???
I would hazard a guess the majority of the country might not be royalist but are either thoroughly indifferent to them or happy enough with the status quo.
I'm neither for nor against these days. I really couldn't care less about them, but I feel that Britain would be a sadder place if the RF were kicked out. Presidents come and go, and all you can say about them is that they were top dog in a filthy struggle, so what kind of person does that make them?
The UK RF has left all that crap behind and they can, for the most part, be themselves, especially nowadays and I must say the current lot are actually doing some useful stuff, unlike many of their illustrious forebears.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They may have their own parliament or assembly but they are still part of the UK, along with scotland and northern Ireland.
In truth being in the UK as a separation issue only belongs to Northern Ireland. England, Wales and Scotland are Britain so remain joined without the existence of the UK.

I think we all know that Wales, Cornwall, Scotland et al are not able to support themselves financially without being part of the whole UK.
Scotland can with ownership of their own oil and gas reserves, which with the new methods of getting far more out of wells previously thought exhausted will last them a long time.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I would hazard a guess the majority of the country might not be royalist but are either thoroughly indifferent to them or happy enough with the status quo.
My feelings entirely but, my allegiance is strongly biased towards our Queen and her husband, the "dook". I have little time for the rest of them, with the exception of Henry (Harry)...I like Harry. Harry represents the importance of regular injections of new genes into the already too close blood-lines of the royal family.

By the same token, I sincerely hope the new Master Mountbatten-Windsor inherits a generous percentage of the Middleton family gene pool. As for a name, how about Robert, that would make him known as "Bob Wales".....ring any bells? :D

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Lynda, and others, I must make my position clear.
I am not an anti-royalist, Welsh separatist.
I just resent being told how to think by a media circus.
If the UK is to have a national anthem, let it praise the country, rather like the opening ceremony of the London Olympics. Other countries, including Wales do this rather than pray for the Monarch.
I acknowledge that Elizabeth is a good Queen, but if anything, I would prefer to give my loyalty to the crown as an abstract concept, rather than an actual person.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lynda, and others, I must make my position clear.
I am not an anti-royalist, Welsh separatist.
I just resent being told how to think by a media circus.
If the UK is to have a national anthem, let it praise the country, rather like the opening ceremony of the London Olympics. Other countries, including Wales do this rather than pray for the Monarch.
I acknowledge that Elizabeth is a good Queen, but if anything, I would prefer to give my loyalty to the crown as an abstract concept, rather than an actual person.
Very well summed up Mike, I hate the propaganda and faking that goes on.

Ever noticed how on royal parades through the streets the crowd all seem to have identical little union jacks to wave as the queen or whoever it is passes? Of course teams of people are sent along the route to hand out huge numbers of these. This is a relatively recent development in public behaviour shaping, aka social engineering, and I find it objectionable.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Very well summed up Mike, I hate the propaganda and faking that goes on.

Ever noticed how on royal parades through the streets the crowd all seem to have identical little union jacks to wave as the queen or whoever it is passes? Of course teams of people are sent along the route to hand out huge numbers of these. This is a relatively recent development in public behaviour shaping, aka social engineering, and I find it objectionable.
It did occur to me in passing, that perhaps we do not need an actual monarch at all.
Just a crown.
After all, the 20th century saw the passing of using actual gold and silver as money, and we all accept the use of paper notes which represent gold and silver, so why not with a monarch?
Staggeringly, Belgium recently managed very well for months without a government.
Now that's my sort of country!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Staggeringly, Belgium recently managed very well for months without a government.
Now that's my sort of country!!
The other way with lots of governments works too!

Italy has had 58 of them since 1945, average life 14 months each, which is why Italians are able to just ignore anything they do and laws they pass!

Advertisers