GTECH E-Scent MTB - Motor Issues

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How the TS system works is purely down to the programming/software.
All my hub bikes use simple cadence rotation and once above the cut off of any speed the bike is easily rideable above it esp in benign conditions.

Why GTECH went with the TS hub controller who knows as nearly most hub bikes adopt the less fussy and simpler basic rotational cadence sensor. Halfrauds went with the TS Suntour system on there Carrera hub bikes and again not the most reliable product.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi thinking of putting Big Ben Schwalbe on mine really sorry about the bikes problems cause I love mine great looking bike love riding out and about had to learn how to ride eBike but think I have it sussed now keep it smooth and easy and enjoy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The TS programming might just be set for low cadence/gentile riding and not roughty tuffty style like there road style bikes.

leecashman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2020
Now I've learnt so much more from this forum (thanks a million to everyone who has taken the time to reply) I will go back to Gtech armed with a bit more knowledge! Maybe there is some sort of after market part or replacement controller I can get hold of to alter or override the programming. Like I said, it's not about speed increases or anything like that - it's just about usability. Cheers again everyone, it's much appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TS controller are rare/thin on the ground, I have only seen a couple of after market ones.
One is a KT TSO6S model which I have only seen with an electric kit, never seen a TSO6S sold on it's own and the other a Bafang TS controller which likely needs pairing with a Bafang TS BB.
They are simply just not very popular on hub bikes due to there complicity, woosh sell a TS crank set with inbuilt TS controller.

leecashman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2020
Nealh, so just to clarify - If I was to replace the controller and BB with the Bafang ones, I could get this to work with the motor as the hub motors are pretty standard? But I'd probably end up needing the change the battery as well due to Gtech building all the controls into it?

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi bb Ts is Bafang rear motor is Bafang thought these were good components anyway these lead to the controller in the battery mount which contains the chip and the 4 hailong connections The battery is the display ie on/off pas level remaining charge This means almost no wire clutter I wondered if I somehow fitted a bottle battery to the Gtech existing mount that has a 4 port hailong female connection would all the components operate apart from the pas mode??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nealh, so just to clarify - If I was to replace the controller and BB with the Bafang ones, I could get this to work with the motor as the hub motors are pretty standard? But I'd probably end up needing the change the battery as well due to Gtech building all the controls into it?
The hub is Bafang but is the BB sensor and controller ?
You need to find out any makers name on them first, usually Bafang electronics have Szbaf (Shuzou bafang) wriiten on them.

You would likely need a Bafang compatible lcd as well by the time you muck about you will have spent 400-500 quid with anew battery.
A Bafang TS kit consisting of TSBB, controller, LCD, throttle and break sensors is about £180 + duty. And a battery on top.
Lcd's give you more options they have 5 PAS levels for power as and when you want it, and they display other info, odo, millage, speed, watts, SOC (voltage), PAS level.

Last edited:

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi nealh the bb ts has Bafang writing on it the controller chip has Gtech writing on it there are no wires from battery to controller as it sits in the 4 prong controller it’s self the pas levels are on the battery min/max no throttle no brake cut off The only wires are from ts to controller and controller to motor surly the battery only discharges amps at the set level of min or max to the motor via the controller when prompted by the torque sensor

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi nealh if you google Bafang bottom bracket torque sensor installation manual the bike used in the tutorial is a Gtech bike and shows the bikes electric setup quite well cheers

Reactions: leecashman

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hello Woosh not looking to change the set up of the escent was wondering if a higher ah battery sitting on the connection which houses the controller would be feasible I understand the new battery would only have an on/off display not a pas level option but this could be set by the original Gtech battery???

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Woosh not looking to change the set up of the escent was wondering if a higher ah battery sitting on the connection which houses the controller would be feasible I understand the new battery would only have an on/off display not a pas level option but this could be set by the original Gtech battery???
Only with limited scope.
An additional battery connected in parallel will extend the range and reduce voltage sag when climbing but the maximum current draw that has been set into the controller will remain same, it was set for a 5.6AH battery low enough not to damage the battery.
Without attaching some kind of measuring the current voltage sag, I can only guess that the controller is limited to 10A.
With hindsight, the escent should have been fitted with a crank drive for use with a low capacity battery. Hub motors are good if you can pump enough Amps into it when needed.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Ok so a new bottle battery with a higher ah sitting on the hailong 4 pin original Gtech base may work but at the last mode selected by the original Gtech battery Will Have to adjust the down tube bracket to hold the new probably larger battery mmm could conceivably work as it should only draw pre set power levels Doesn’t need to be more powerful as I’m okay with the min or max modes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you go through with the expense of buying a new Hailong battery, consider getting also a hailong controller and LCD. Check with the supplier if they can program it to support the Bafang torque sensor bottom bracket. I think the output of the torque sensor is similar to 32 magnet PAS + throttle. The controller needs to be programmed so that the throttle signal is only active when PAS is also active.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Thanks Woosh my diy skills coupled with the expense of upgrading deem it unviable plan on keeping as is for a while longer then selling on and saving for your faro with the larger battery The initial draw was the weight of Gtech minus the battery 17 kg max for my roof rack but I see the faro minus the battery is approximately the same ps don’t tell her indoors so maybe a while yet cheers for your reply’s

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For your information
The Faro without any battery weighs 14.5kgs. It's easy enough to lift up to the car roof.
With the 8AH inframe battery (2kgs on its own), it weighs 16.5kgs
With the 17AH HL battery (3kgs on its own), it weighs 18.5kgs

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Might be worth quoting the weight without batter on the website: partly to clarify comparison with other (less scrupulous?) advertisers, and partly because it really is a useful measure for lumping around or putting on cars.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I didn't think of that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Thanks again not only has the weight got to be right the bike rack grips the down tube just below the battery mount the faro with external battery looks ideal Will be in touch in the future cheers Woosh

Related Articles

Advertisers