GTECH E-Scent MTB - Motor Issues

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sell the bike and get a decent one, the TS hub route has no advantage over a good cadence hub set up.
Get one of the Woosh code 16 hub bikes and it will **** over your crappy GTECH system all day and night long.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: esuark

leecashman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2020
Hi all. Just an update on my initial problem.
I've spoken to GTech and explained in very simple terms the issue: 'The bike works fine within the assistance range. However, if you are outside the range of the assistance (over 8mph in ECO or over 15.5mph in MAX) - or using the bike with the power off, then the bike is unusable due to the resistance from the rear motor. The drag is such that it makes the bike unrideable.'
The support team at GTech have told me that the bike SHOULD ride like a normal MTB under these circumstances - so with the power off it should behave like a normal (if slightly heavy) mountain bike. Others on here have mentioned a slight bit of resistance for a second as the bike changes over (i.e, when you pedal over 15.5mph) - but mine just resists full stop once you hit that speed!
So I'm currently waiting for GTech to either send a new rear wheel or a new Escent to my local Cycle Republic so I can test this.

I will keep this post updated in case others are having a similar experience.

Thanks again.

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
I've spoken to GTech and explained in very simple terms the issue: 'The bike works fine within the assistance range. However, if you are outside the range of the assistance (over 8mph in ECO or over 15.5mph in MAX) - or using the bike with the power off, then the bike is unusable due to the resistance from the rear motor. The drag is such that it makes the bike unrideable.'
The support team at GTech have told me that the bike SHOULD ride like a normal MTB under these circumstances - so with the power off it should behave like a normal (if slightly heavy) mountain bike. Others on here have mentioned a slight bit of resistance for a second as the bike changes over (i.e, when you pedal over 15.5mph) - but mine just resists full stop once you hit that speed!
So I'm currently waiting for GTech to either send a new rear wheel or a new Escent to my local Cycle Republic so I can test this.

Thanks again.
Would be really interested in the outcome of this. Hope it works out for you

leecashman

Mar 20, 2020
Cheers Lutin - I will let you know. I don't expect much to happen very quickly... apparently there's some sort of virus about!!!

Reactions: lutin

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hope you get sorted dude just back from my morning ride 10.8 miles in 50 mins all in eco (like to give the legs a work out) Mine does ride like a slightly heavy mtb over the pas levels or off altogether so deffo get them to sort cause it’s a good mtb and does have assist for slopes and head winds let us know the outcome cheers

D

Deleted member 25121

Thanks again.
Thanks for the update, does Cycle Republic have a GTech bike for you or them to try above the cutoff?

leecashman

Mar 20, 2020
Thanks for the update, does Cycle Republic have a GTech bike for you or them to try above the cutoff?
Hi ebiker99. No, that's the problem - I bought the last one! So I've gotta wait now for GTech to either agree to send a new wheel (assuming it's the motor) to me directly or to Cycle Republic in Norwich - or to send another bike. It's the only way I/we will know if there's an issue. Frustrating really. I know there's more important things in the world at the moment - but I've still spent a grand on this and want it sorted!!

D

Deleted member 25121

Hi ebiker99. No, that's the problem - I bought the last one! So I've gotta wait now for GTech to either agree to send a new wheel (assuming it's the motor) to me directly or to Cycle Republic in Norwich - or to send another bike. It's the only way I/we will know if there's an issue. Frustrating really. I know there's more important things in the world at the moment - but I've still spent a grand on this and want it sorted!!
It certainly needs to be sorted now that GTech has admitted that there's something wrong with it.

Reactions: leecashman

leecashman

Mar 20, 2020
UPDATE: When you buy something, sometimes things go wrong. It happens. It's HOW the problem is resolved that leaves a lasting impression, and GTech has come through in BIG way!!

They replied to my most recent message yesterday, actually thanking me for speaking with the Pedelecs community in order to help diagnose the issue! (So many companies hate it when you speak about their products on forums.) They then sent out a brand new wheel, tyre and tube to me by next day delivery which turned up at 10:30 this morning. I've just fitted the wheel (and put my new slicks on too) and it's a revelation! Once beyond the 8mph ECO range, or 15.5mph MAX range, the bike no longer drags to the extent where it's unrideable. It's perfectly usable. And MOST importantly, it's rideable with the battery switched off (for if/when I run out of juice!). As others mentioned, it has that little second of drag as you pass over from within the range to outside - but then it's fine. I've just got back from an 8.7mile ride (my one bit of exercise for the day - cheers Boris!) and all is well.

So - I get that the Gtech Escent isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's a bit heavy, probably a bit over-engineered, and has an odd combination of motor, torque assist PAS and too small battery... but for me and what I use it for, it's great! And for a company to make such an effort to ensure a customer is happy is really impressive.

Thanks to everyone who came up with some really constructive feedback for me on here - my knowledge has increased massively and It's much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 25121

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, I'm very pleased to hear that Gtech sorted things out so quickly for you.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Great news well done Gtech hope you are enjoying the bike i know i am like you say there are faster lighter more efficient longer range eBikes but not many as good looking Enjoy and get out on it

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
UPDATE: When you buy something, sometimes things go wrong. It happens. It's HOW the problem is resolved that leaves a lasting impression, and GTech has come through in BIG way!!

They replied to my most recent message yesterday, actually thanking me for speaking with the Pedelecs community in order to help diagnose the issue! (So many companies hate it when you speak about their products on forums.) They then sent out a brand new wheel, tyre and tube to me by next day delivery which turned up at 10:30 this morning. I've just fitted the wheel (and put my new slicks on too) and it's a revelation! Once beyond the 8mph ECO range, or 15.5mph MAX range, the bike no longer drags to the extent where it's unrideable. It's perfectly usable. And MOST importantly, it's rideable with the battery switched off (for if/when I run out of juice!). As others mentioned, it has that little second of drag as you pass over from within the range to outside - but then it's fine. I've just got back from an 8.7mile ride (my one bit of exercise for the day - cheers Boris!) and all is well.

So - I get that the Gtech Escent isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's a bit heavy, probably a bit over-engineered, and has an odd combination of motor, torque assist PAS and too small battery... but for me and what I use it for, it's great! And for a company to make such an effort to ensure a customer is happy is really impressive.

Thanks to everyone who came up with some really constructive feedback for me on here - my knowledge has increased massively and It's much appreciated.
Just out of curiousity - how would you diagnose this issue? My bike is hard to pedal when the power is off, but I'm never sure if it's just due to me being so used to the power on, that it's a bit of a surprise when it's hard to pedal.

leecashman

Mar 20, 2020
Just out of curiousity - how would you diagnose this issue? My bike is hard to pedal when the power is off, but I'm never sure if it's just due to me being so used to the power on, that it's a bit of a surprise when it's hard to pedal.
Hi Lutin
Mine is still quite hard to pedal with the power off... well, it's much harder than a standard MTB would be, probably because of the heavy motor in the hub. But before it was ridiculously hard! It was like someone had applied the brakes. Your best bet is to take it to your local bike shop and get them to test it. They'll hopefully be able to advise if it's normal or of its down to something binding like mine was. Good luck!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With no power the extra motor/kit weight is noticeable, however in low gear you should be able to quite easily pedal the bike on flat terrain as the hub has a freewheel for forward propulsion, once moving changing up gear should pose no problem to go a bit faster.

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
With no power the extra motor/kit weight is noticeable, however in low gear you should be able to quite easily pedal the bike on flat terrain as the hub has a freewheel for forward propulsion, once moving changing up gear should pose no problem to go a bit faster.
Yep, on a low gear (assuming that's the one where the pedals spin faster!), the bike is not that hard to pedal - that's true. @leecashman even in a low gear, did you have that heavy resistance feeling?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An easy test with out battery power is to lift the back wheel and by hand rotate it forwards, there should no resistance and the clutch freewheel should allow it to spin a few turns. try it backwards and you will feel a bit of resistance as there is no clutch freewheel in that direction.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep, on a low gear (assuming that's the one where the pedals spin faster!), the bike is not that hard to pedal - that's true. @leecashman even in a low gear, did you have that heavy resistance feeling?
In that case it is working correctly, don't forget the weight of the hub is very central so is a bit of a dead weight to rotate. Any hub is hard/very hard work on an incline without power even in low gear.

leecashman

Mar 20, 2020
Yeah mine used to resist all the time. Now (since the replacement wheel) it's only noticeable if you're in too high a gear. I think the weight at the wheel will always make a quite heavy bike feel a bit heavier, so it's imperative that you're in the correct gear on that thing! I managed to do 15 miles this morning in a little over an hour, all on ECO and the only drag I noticed was on long inclines. Dropping into the lowest gear and letting the motor assist does the job here. Once you reach the top, start accelerating and going up through the gears. I think the Escent makes you think a little more about how you're riding, which isn't a bad thing!

leecashman

Mar 20, 2020
In that case it is working correctly, don't forget the weight of the hub is very central so is a bit of a dead weight to rotate. Any hub is hard/very hard work on an incline without power even in low gear.
Yep, exactly it.

Related Articles

Advertisers