Guinea pigs for lights maybe needed

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
My company Jump For Fun sells trampolines to users and trade customers.A contact of the factory owner in the Far East keeps badgering me to take some solar powered bike lights from his mates factory to try as samples.He's sent some before,Ive tried them and theyre ok,nice quality but maybe a bit pricey for the UK market.Hes now brought out some new models and want me to try them,.Is there a market for these types of bike lights?They would retail about £25 a pair.I wonder if Im missing an opportunity but I guess by the looks of it the competition is fierce?I wondered if I got samples will some of you be willing to test them foc and give me feed back?Or shall I not bother?

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I'd be very interested. Currently running some high inensity LED lensers but rechargabe AAAs dont seem to last long. PM me if it happens.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I'd be very interested. Currently running some high inensity LED lensers but rechargabe AAAs dont seem to last long. PM me if it happens.
Thats the sort of feed back I need.Ive got a spare 3 led front light if you'd like to try it?The new model has 5 led's.PM me your address if you'd like the 3 led one.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I would be interested but I have a couple of reservations:
Is it designed to be a permanent fit, if I have to remove QR light every time go in then they won't ever recharge.
Lights that are bright enough usually need a lot of power, I doubt a solar charger would be enough to power decent LEDs. Therefore I expect the LEDs are only any good to be seen with rather than to see where you are going.
I've got through several types of light and I'm happy to do some testing but if the design is physically weak then I'm not interested (I've lost a few where the mounting is inadequate), have you got a link to it?

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
The one on the wisper is a rechargeable but I must admit to having changed it to a brighter Blackburn Quadrant 4 LED one, most of the ones I have seen seem to good interms of being seen but poor in terms of casting a beam.

I agree about the problem with rechargeable ones is that you tend not to leave them on the bike but to have to let them charge up under artificial light in the office.

In spite of those reservations I would be happy to give one a trial.

C

Cyclezee

My company Jump For Fun sells trampolines to users and trade customers.A contact of the factory owner in the Far East keeps badgering me to take some solar powered bike lights from his mates factory to try as samples.He's sent some before,Ive tried them and theyre ok,nice quality but maybe a bit pricey for the UK market.Hes now brought out some new models and want me to try them,.Is there a market for these types of bike lights?They would retail about £25 a pair.I wonder if Im missing an opportunity but I guess by the looks of it the competition is fierce?I wondered if I got samples will some of you be willing to test them foc and give me feed back?Or shall I not bother?
I will try anything once Bigbee (within reason), so count me in.
I have tried solar powered led lights before which were OK, as far as brightness is concerned, but the beam was poor and certainly not worth more than £10. If the ones you are offering are better quality and offer good performance, they could be worth £25. Recently I paid over £70 for a very powerful dynamo powered led light.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
is this what you meant ? :eek:

guinea pig.jpg

( no pain was caused to the guinea pig whilst attaching this light,and it does make his nightly walks a lot safer)

Last edited:

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Count me in too! If I can find a spare inch to mount an extra light I always will!

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Thats quite funny ,well done!

Some one asked for a link,Im a bit protective in case this does work to give the url ,I'll try to post a photo.But its a little light about three inches long 1.5 inches wide and has three leds,hows that:) It clips to the bike and is easily detachable to be used as a conventional torch.I know not every one likes this type but its so small and light to pop into your pocket I dont " see " a problem??

is this what you meant ? :eek:

View attachment 575

( no pain was caused to the guinea pig whilst attaching this light,and it does make his nightly walks a lot safer)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thats quite funny ,well done!

Some one asked for a link,Im a bit protective in case this does work to give the url ,I'll try to post a photo.But its a little light about three inches long 1.5 inches wide and has three leds,hows that:) It clips to the bike and is easily detachable to be used as a conventional torch.I know not every one likes this type but its so small and light to pop into your pocket I dont " see " a problem??
So it's a QR torch, then it won't get recharged properly so I may as well not have a solar powered one at all.
It is a heavy unit that sits on the handlebars connected with a weak QR bracket, it will break quickly.
I can't see it being worth £25, sorry but it sounds like a mediocre light with a solar panel that is only of use to someone who keeps it on their bike in the shed for occasional use.

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Sounds about the same size as the S-Sun Polaris 3 LED front light I have at the moment:

I'm not too bothered about seeing where I'm going - most of my commuting route has streetlamps, so lights that make me more visible are order of the day, along with easy removal and small size for portability.

It would be interesting to mount them together to compare performance. If you need any more takers I'll happily give one a whirl.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
I'd suggest you are on a hiding to nothing.

It's SSC P7 or nothing for me now, run with Lithium 18650 batteries nothing comes close.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I'd suggest you are on a hiding to nothing.

It's SSC P7 or nothing for me now, run with Lithium 18650 batteries nothing comes close.
You're not wrong there, but I worry so much about blinding oncoming traffic that I tend to ride with it pointing pretty much straight down. Awesome amount of light for such a small device.