Hacking firmware.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I've done a bit of Googling and there are various opinions on what can be done to reflash the firmware and alter the parameters. There seems to be too much information out there and the more I read the less sure I am of how to proceed. Is there anyone with experience of doing this with the TSDZ2?

I can't really see a real reason for changing the existing firmware except for the fact I'm a tinkerer. Fifty years ago it was changing the carb, and force feeding air into it, on an A35 van, and I'm unlikely to change now!

Reactions: Spooner51

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you don't need a new controller, only a new LCD that the software can talk to and a programming lead.
the problem is unless you are a software developer yourself, you put your trust in someone else's skills.
It's easy to increase the assist ratio and obtain flattering acceleration but there is no free lunch. The TSDZ2 controller is designed to take 10AH continuously, 20A peak. If you go near the limit all the time, you are going to kill it. That's why I choose the 48V TSDZ2 to have better performance.

Reactions: PeterPi

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
you don't need a new controller, only a new LCD that the software can talk to and a programming lead.
the problem is unless you are a software developer yourself, you put your trust in someone else's skills.
It's easy to increase the assist ratio and obtain flattering acceleration but there is no free lunch. The TSDZ2 controller is designed to take 10AH continuously, 20A peak. If you go near the limit all the time, you are going to kill it. That's why I choose the 48V TSDZ2 to have better performance.
Thanks for the info.

I think I may have a more pressing problem. It feels like the power only comes on when the torque is being applied to the left hand peddle. The motor hum is not constant. I'm going to measure the current and see what the results are. I should have bought the kit from Southend, shouldn't I :) .

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Although its been just seven days, with all that's going on it seems much longer. I did a quick test today. Wired up an ammeter to the battery and did the test. Before I even looked at the meter I knew everything was back to normal. Drawing about 16 amps on acceleration and moderate hill climbing. Both pedals being torque sensed. I wonder if the fact that the battery was of for about ten minutes did a system reset?

Please excuse my disgusting lash up, a real cobblers shoes job, but it works. Torque Test.jpg

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks for the info.

I think I may have a more pressing problem. It feels like the power only comes on when the torque is being applied to the left hand peddle. The motor hum is not constant. I'm going to measure the current and see what the results are. I should have bought the kit from Southend, shouldn't I :) .
I did some tests I think I should have read the Woosh documentation first and saved myself a load of time. I may have switched on the unit with my foot on a pedde and not let it calibrate first. Only thing I can think of really because its ok now, fingers firmly x'ed.

Great weather at last coinciding with lockdown. WTF!

• :D
Reactions: Woosh