Hacking Kalkhoff Evo rs

Hobbs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2016
Wicklow
Hi Anybody, I have just joined this forum so not quite sure how to enter conversations..so sorry for starting a new one!
I have a Kalkoff Intergrale s11 with Evo rs 2 motor. Lovely bike, terrible drive system. I wish I had a Bosch drive!
But I don't and I'm stuck with this bike; however I am sure the problem is the way the bike is set up at the factory which seems to be to give maximum range, I get about 70 k on Ultra. (max power) The cost is the assist is rubbish, it really only cuts in when going up hills and then not much compared to my wife's Bosch; she motors past me on all hills!! Her bike cost half what mine cost. Surly the electric motor is basically the same, an electric motor is an electric motor..its the controller set up that determines the power etc.
So I can't help thinking there must be programming genius's somewhere on the Pedelecs forums that knows a way to access the programming, there is a connector available that connects to a PC, to change to perimeters. Basically I will happily sacrifice range for more power!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not surprised at your lack of power and it's probably intended. The Evo was the similar replacement version of the powerful Impulse 2 unit which has been suffering many mechanical failures which the lower powered original Impulse 1 didn't suffer.

Basically I'd guess the lower power is there to avoid the unit failing, meaning that upping it could be risky. The Impulse 2's are being replaced under warranty when they fail, but you wouldn't have that benefit if you'd altered your unit.

There's a second long thread on the Impulse 2 failures, here's the link.

Hobbs

Dec 18, 2016
Wicklow
I'm not surprised at your lack of power and it's probably intended. The Evo was the similar replacement version of the powerful Impulse 2 unit which has been suffering many mechanical failures which the lower powered original Impulse 1 didn't suffer.

Basically I'd guess the lower power is there to avoid the unit failing, meaning that upping it could be risky. The Impulse 2's are being replaced under warranty when they fail, but you wouldn't have that benefit if you'd altered your unit.

There's a second long thread on the Impulse 2 failures, here's the link.
Thanks flecc

Hobbs

Dec 18, 2016
Wicklow
Thanks for your reply flecc. Yes I guess you are correct; in a way Kalkhoff have falsely advertised the bike as the most powerful yet! Which is why I bought it as I live in the Wicklow mountains (Ireland), my daily cycle to work is up and down very steep hills!
It probably is more powerful on paper, but certainly not in reality. I presume the Bosch motor is a stronger motor and my wife gets the full benefit from it.
I would still be willing to take the chance on modifying it if I could....my other alternative is to pinch my wive's bike!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would still be willing to take the chance on modifying it if I could....my other alternative is to pinch my wive's bike!!
With earlier Impulse units 50cycles did on many occasions adjust the power levels via software, and I believe on some occasions they may have sent out on loan the necessary to do that, either to owners or bike shops.

I don't know whether that would be possible with the Evo unit, but it could be worth you ringing them to check.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would talk to 50 Cycles about it. Something doesn't sound right. Even if the power had been cut down by software, it shouldn't be like that.

Hobbs

Dec 18, 2016
Wicklow
With earlier Impulse units 50cycles did on many occasions adjust the power levels via software, and I believe on some occasions they may have sent out on loan the necessary to do that, either to owners or bike shops.

I don't know whether that would be possible with the Evo unit, but it could be worth you ringing them to check.
Thanks. Actually 50 Cycles have been extremely helpful, but the problem is I live in Ireland (I bought the bike on one of my camper-van trips to UK) so they are a bit limited on how much they can help me over the phone.
However I have finally found a bike shop near me which have just got the Kalkhoff agency and as soon as the owner completes his training at Kalkoff he should be in a position to help me. particularly with that information re adjusting the power levels via software.
Thanks again for you help and also the very interesting link...I'm beginning to think I am not doing to badly with my bike, I have covered nearly 2000k since buying it last May...!

Hobbs

Dec 18, 2016
Wicklow
I would talk to 50 Cycles about it. Something doesn't sound right. Even if the power had been cut down by software, it shouldn't be like that.
Thanks d8veh... I will be back in Bristol next year so will definitely call in if the Irish guy can't help.

Advertisers