Haibike amt pro. First impressions? ;)

Sp00k

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2014
It all started with me renting electric bike from local energy supply company and I was really impressed by humbre Scott29 with 2012 motor.
So I decided to go big and get some cool bike. Haibike was my choice right away.
It was insanely hard to get any bike with my 52 size but after month of waiting I decided to invest in one of the most expensive from their line, the AMT pro.
I'll skip the part that it was poorly setup, with gear shifts not smooth, same for brakes and forks.
But I can do it myself. It is a cheap 6k euro bike after all ;)

But after couple rides my joy was short lived. Some weird cracking noizes showed up in motor. Every time I've pushed hard on the pedals I felt something in motor gonna break apart.
This is 100% going from the motor not from any other part, believe me.

But today I've got another nasty surprize. My rear fork almost fell apart in a humble city joy ride. I didn't make it to mountains yet with this AMT bike! ;)
So the nut from the rear fork just broke apart like that.

I should update video with noises from motor because it got worse lately.
Can't ride the bike in current state though.
To be continued...

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It could be grit down the side of the chain ring. Wash it water, not high pressure the same as from a hot tap. Then give a squirt of GT85 just down the edge and if that does it.

Sp00k

Apr 22, 2014
Already working with seller on resolving the issues. Just weird that I had a cheap mtb bike for 7 years, never cleaned or serviced it and it works like a charm even today.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wow, Just shows the difference between dealers and setting the bike correctly.

Your Haibike needs to be set up properly. Its a shame that you have had problems, because it is a great German build! The components on this model are second to none. I would suggest taking this bike back to the dealer you bought it from to have all the problems resolved.
That's what your dealers there for hey?

As for the rear swingarm bolt.. These are reverse thread. Most users go to tighten it up. It then obviously loosens it (being reverse thread). They then tighten it back up having broken the threadlock seal.

There is nothing broken here, the bolt has just been loosened and therefore it has dropped out. You cannot ride the bike like this. You dealer should have a spare bolt to get you going again quickly.

When the problems are resolved... I hope you enjoy your new eBike!

Regards
Martin

Sp00k

Apr 22, 2014
I agree about dealer's responsibility to prepare the product for the run. It is a small store whos name won't tell anything to anybody. They state that received bike directly from haibike already perfectly setup.
Though dealer has nothing to do with motor noises issue that I'm still to resolve :)
I'll keep you guys posted how it goes.
Otherwise had some nice over 60-70km runs with it. (got like 300km so far) Was lucky to grab a spare battery on ebay at very reasonable price as well ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Martin, Why do they use a LH thread when it rotates equally in both directions?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have two Bosch bikes and the OP's sounds dog rough in comparison.

Then a safety related bolt fell out.

It's not the first time we've heard of problems with a Haibike.

I am coming to the conclusion they are not all they are cracked up to be.

Reactions: 103Alex1

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ I've thought that for a while now. As with so many "must haves", can be a case of Emperor's New Clothes .... well, compared to the mark-ups anyway !

D

Deleted member 4366

I think you're all being a bit harsh. It's a Bosch motor making the noise, which could have been put in any bike. One bolt fell out for an unknown reason. Anybody could've touched that bolt from the time it left the factory for whatever reason. I don't think that you can draw any conclusions from these faults other than that you can get problems with any bike. Paying a lot of money doesn't avoid that. I guess that the disappointment would be a bit higher after spending all that money, though.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

Sp00k

Apr 22, 2014
Don't see a single conclusion in this topic, just sharing own experience ;)
It is a great bike and I enjoy it. Seller drove home to me today and changed the bolt. :)
Had a nice ride after that already.
Another small thing that got me a bit frustrated is that I had a flat on a second ride. Was furious how these advanced tubeless gave me a flat already.
I didn't really know I have to fill them with that special rubber liquid :) After filling them that puncture selfrepaired immediately.
But this small fact has really nothing to do with quality of a bike ;)

Will be resolving motor noises in autumn. It can take a month to fix the issue with sending bike to Germany. Might as well find other issues.

Reactions: jackhandy

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Would be seriously annoyed if my local dealer said bike needs to go to Germany , why have a local dealer ?
Warranty is the dealers responsibility or why buy from him .
This is a 6k bike not a £500 cheapie
Obviously not a dealer just a transit point to take the profit

I buy japanese motor bikes , sorry sir it has to go back to Japan for a new motor . Get real for goodness sake. This is why muppets like this dealer who sell these bikes should be shut down .
My wisper bought from a local dealer was fixed within 2 days by them , new motor,
Superb service.
Martin on here is the only person I would buy a haibike off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin, Why do they use a LH thread when it rotates equally in both directions?
Hi Dave,

Well... Hope this makes sense..
The bolt is not actually reverse thread. It is however a normal thread bolt but its threaded from the inside of the swingarm. But Haibike put an Allen head within the bolt on the outside so it is easily accessible with tools. This then becomes reverse thread to the user when working on the bike.

As previously mentioned, if someone who doesn't know what they are doing, goes to check its tight from the outside, they will in fact loosen it. This then breaks the factory threadlock.. As this is a moving bolt it can then work loose pretty quickly.

This never happens if the bolt is not played with. Or if it has been removed, but then re-thread locked prior to assembling back together.

Regards
Martin

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Dave,

The bolt is not actually reverse thread. It is however a normal thread bolt but its threaded from the inside of the swingarm. But Haibike put an Allen head within the bolt on the outside so it is easily accessible with tools. This then becomes reverse thread to the user when working on the bike.

As previously mentioned, if someone who doesn't know what they are doing, goes to check its tight from the outside, they will in fact loosen it. This then breaks the factory threadlock.. As this is a moving bolt it can then work loose pretty quickly.

This never happens if the bolt is not played with. Or if it has been removed, but then re-thread locked prior to assembling back together.

Regards
Martin
As soon as the guy breaks the threadlock, he'll know which way to turn the Allen key. It's true that if the guy did not replace the threadlock then he's pretty useless.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi Dave,

Regards
Martin
Hmmmm!. It doesn't make sense I'm afraid, Martin. No matter which side you insert the bolt from, you'd still undo it counter-clockwise from your direction of access if it's a right hand thread. It's only if the head were on the inside of the frame, but you were on the outside when you have to turn it in the opposite direction; however, everybody knows that.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
But after couple rides my joy was short lived. Some weird cracking noizes showed up in motor. Every time I've pushed hard on the pedals I felt something in motor gonna break apart.
the sprag bearing can get dammaged, but I think your motor may just need greasing.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's only if the head were on the inside of the frame, but you were on the outside when you have to turn it in the opposite direction; however, everybody knows that.
Yes that is basically it! The head is on the inside, but you can turn it from the outside. The bolt is hollow and had a 6mm allen grip within it.

So just to sum up - The head is actually on the inside of the frame, but the user can access the allen from the outside..

If I get a chance I will picture one of my spare bolts of the frame, it will make perfect sense.

Regards
Martin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Still difficult to work out why such a bolt would be used.

Access from the outside could be achieved with an ordinary bolt.

Perhaps the threaded bit of the swingarm has to be on the outside for some reason.

I'm still not too impressed with a fixing for a pivot that relies on Loctite to stop it falling out.

Some engineers don't like that stuff at all, or would only use it to bolt one non-moving part to another.