Haibike amt pro. First impressions? ;)

Sp00k

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2014
After some hardcore testing I can give more feedback and impressions.
In 5 days I made over 8,5km climbs in North dolomites Italy in some serious conditions. I'd say some of the climbs weren't really doable even by experienced bikers with powerful legs :) Though I found some very hard for bosch motor as well.

- 11 gears is really must have, I found myself riding on lowest gear a lot.
Not just it makes climbs easy, you have to stay on higher cadence for motor to give away highest torque.
So this was one of the reasons I went for higher level model to get 11 gears and I don't regret it at all.

- 2 batteries are highly recommended. You can do a nice ride on a single battery especially with fresh legs. Though I was right to get a spare battery and ended up taking it with me a lot.
Bosch 2014 battery shape is very nice and it fits in a backpack with a 2L bottle of water perfectly. Weighs just 2,5kg but extendes your drive and relieves tension of getting stuck with empty battery. Also it is nice to swap battery on a 10-15% charge to keep battery healthier. Full discharge kills it faster in a long run.

From my observation single 400watt battery can do 1000-1500m climb no problem depending on legs condition and climb steepness.
I did 2,5 km elevation with 65km distance first day on 2 batteries leaving 15% charge.

- walking assist is insanely nice feature for bosch 2014. I had lots of parts where I had to push my bike up unridable areas and 24kg bike with 8kg backpack doesn't make it easy job. So that small assist button really helped.
Though it is rather weak assist and you have to put bike on highest gear for best pushing power. So overall procedure looks like this. You get stuck on lowest gear, stand and switch bike to higest gear, rise rear wheel and push assist buton for bike to switch to highest gear.
Placement of that button isn't handy as well, considering you have to push that heavy bike on rough stony areas and hold that tiny button on flimsy plastic console.

Had just two small accidents.
1) chain got stuck on that small front cog on a motor. Lower part of chain was catching up on a cog and jamming it up.
I think it was just dirt and stones, cleaning the chain helped.

2) Another glitch I found was motor stopping assistance after some idling time. When you stop pedaling for a bit and resume, the power just not there. No matter how you change assist setting there is no power untill you power down the whole system and power it up again.
Also had an error code once, that could have been caused by overheated motor I suspect. Resting a bit and powering the system down and up helped to solve that.

Some design flaws.
Rear shock is completely open to dirt and flying stones from rear wheel. I've closed it with a sick duct tape which works perfect and keeps it clean.

A small plastic chain guide on a small cog above the motor doesn't only help. If you ride into a bit of dirt it gets stuck on that plastic guide stripping the chain of all lube in minutes.

Here are some photos from my trip.
DSC01865.JPG DSC01947.JPG DSC02009.JPG DSC01903.JPG

Sp00k

Apr 22, 2014
Ok I'm happy that bike didn't fall apart yet though I get more new exotic noises. Most awful is kronolog making annoying creaking noises. I really love it's functionality though I'm afraid might be forced to throw it away some day ;)
Another scary thing I've noticed when pedaling heavily uphill on very steep slopes that rear wheel is making sharp creaky metals sounds. You can hear it on the video.
Not very happy with rear wheel bouncing to sides like that. My old cheap cross country bike with cheap wheels looks more solid ;)

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Do not ride this bike with the rear wheel having that much play in it!..

Make sure it is the rear wheel and not the pivot bolts that hold this play, only reason I mention as I know previously that you didn't have them done up correctly and lost a bolt.

This needs to be taken to a dealer and adjusted correctly before you next ride it.

Sp00k

Apr 22, 2014
Yea taken it to service for adjustments. They had to tighten the spokes.
First of all this is very expensive. Due to crank brothers wheels have special design, though the dealer covered the cost. Just worrying that each spoke adjusting will cost so much and requires some special hardware.

I can't say that wheels are stiff enough even after that. They are simply not designed for some serious technical terrain and I've confirmed that by reading feedback about these wheels online.
The cheap classic wheels on my old mtb bike are stiff as a rock compared to these cranks.
The most funny thing is I might have to change these expensive wheels to cheaper sturdy ones. No idea what smart engineer decided to put these ones to all mountain bike to save some 200g of weight on a 24kg bike. :)

Regarding the noises in Bosh motor I'm still waiting to send the bike for a longer service to a dealer. Should be soon enough when it is too cold for me to ride ;)

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
This confirms my impression of many ebike dealers, especially if they are new ebike-only setups. They are really only fronts for Raleigh/Haibike websales and have little or no inhouse servicing capability. It is really annoying because most people are persuaded to use a local dealer for their "service" and convenience. I considered buying from Martin, but it was too much trouble to travel and I did not want to cross London. My dealer said he did a PDI on the Haibike, but I am not convinced he did anything especially adjusting the gears. In fact I took half of it home still in the unopened Bosch packaging. I arranged to take the bike back after a few weeks to fix a problem and thought he was going to give the bike the "free service", but he did nothing.

In future I would make a point of buying from a real bike shop who does ebikes as well, or someone like Martin who has proper technical backup.

Even the Habike and KTM designs seem to be little different from the non electrical versions, so I don't see why in the near future we can't have more packaged road legal kits from reputable manufactures to convert standard bikes so the traditional bike enthusasts can do it all themselves and not be dependent on middlemen to pass the buck to manufacturers in Germany who don't have any consideration for customers in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Martin spotless white gloves and workshop are suspicious?
But the real sign it's staged is no mug on the bench!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
I feel we all go on personal experience.
Having tried to buy a Haibike from martin@ebikes but being told there was none available until late January, I did a Google search and found them in Germany at €1990 and included delivered to the UK that's £1440.
UK price £1850 that's an enormous saving and has a full European warranty which I did confirm with the manufacturer before purchase ( Winona Group) stated there's only one warranty within the EEC wether it's bought in the UK or the EEC.
Not many dealers will tell you.
It's a free market and as a buyer you can buy freely from anywhere in the EEC with no import duties what so ever.
With the euro to the pound at €1.4 to the £ it's never been cheaper

Reactions: SteveRuss

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I feel we all go on personal experience.
Having tried to buy a Haibike from martin@ebikes but being told there was none available until late January, I did a Google search and found them in Germany at €1990 and included delivered to the UK that's £1440.
UK price £1850 that's an enormous saving and has a full European warranty which I did confirm with the manufacturer before purchase ( Winona Group) stated there's only one warranty within the EEC wether it's bought in the UK or the EEC.
It's a free market and as a buyer you can buy freely from anywhere in the EEC with no import duties what so ever.
With the euro to the pound at €1.4 to the £ it's never been cheaper
I do wonder where you have to take the bike when something goes wrong under that warranty though.. If it's a send back to base then that saving seems much less attractive..

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I do wonder where you have to take the bike when something goes wrong under that warranty though.. If it’s a send back to base then that saving seems much less attractive..
He’s posted that on two threads. I asked the same question on the other one. I was told by Derby Cycles that the warranty was with the German dealer if bought a bike from there and it would have to be sent back to him. So who would fix the OPs bike if it needed it?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
.... and has a full European warranty which I did confirm with the manufacturer before purchase ( Winona Group) stated there's only one warranty within the EEC wether it's bought in the UK or the EEC.
Yes of course the warranty is backed by Haibike / Winora BUT as the two posts above have alluded to you have to go through the dealer you bought it from.

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Firstly your warranty is with the shop you purchased from and secondly with the manufacturer.
I've had my first service done by a local dealer and mentioned the battery lock which they have ordered under the Manufacturers Warranty and they will be paid to fit the lock (common Haibike problem, minor) by the manufacturer.

If say your BMW goes wrong while in France and still under Warranty/Guarantee do you think for one minute you would have to return it to your UK Dealer.

I feel for the dealers here in the UK but when will the Manufacturers/Importer's get up to speed ref the exchange rate. I'm betting its not the UK retailers selling at high prices but the Manufacturers not passing the exchange rate on to us the customer and the dealers.

Again I did not set of to buy a bargain but was assured that there was no UK stock of 45cm frames in the UK and was offered £250 discount if prepared to wait.
Ordered from Germany on a Tuesday and received the bike on the Friday, not sure it would have been much quicker if from the UK.

I am not a keen fan of the European Economic Market but if there's one thing made totally clear, is that anything is available to and from any member regardless of which EEC market its ordered in. this is the bed rock of the community.

Do you think UK motor dealers refuse to carry work out on non UK cars purchased in other EEC countries ?....... they would loose their franchises in minutes and your local Euro MP would have a field day that's without involving trading standards.

So unless the UKIP's get in next time feel free to buy with confidence from any other EU member country.

Dealers that refuse to work on any EU purchased product's are suffering from ignorance and need to be enlightened before they loose Franchises and have visits from Trading Standards.

Ps I work for a leasing company mostly asset finance ie plant and equipment also vehicles. We have seen this situation before with regards to the exchange rate making it cheaper to buy in other EU countries before the Manufacturers correct their prices here in the UK.
Lets see if that happens sooner rather than later

Firstly your warranty is with the shop you purchased from and secondly with the manufacturer.
I've had my first service done by a local dealer and mentioned the battery lock which they have ordered under the Manufacturers Warranty and they will be paid to fit the lock (common Haibike problem, minor) by the manufacturer.

If say your BMW goes wrong while in France and still under Warranty/Guarantee do you think for one minute you would have to return it to your UK Dealer.

I feel for the dealers here in the UK but when will the Manufacturers/Importer's get up to speed ref the exchange rate. I'm betting its not the UK retailers selling at high prices but the Manufacturers not passing the exchange rate on to us the customer and the dealers.

Again I did not set of to buy a bargain but was assured that there was no UK stock of 45cm frames in the UK and was offered £250 discount if prepared to wait.
Ordered from Germany on a Tuesday and received the bike on the Friday, not sure it would have been much quicker if from the UK.

I am not a keen fan of the European Economic Market but if there's one thing made totally clear, is that anything is available to and from any member regardless of which EEC market its ordered in. this is the bed rock of the community.

Do you think UK motor dealers refuse to carry work out on non UK cars purchased in other EEC countries ?....... they would loose their franchises in minutes and your local Euro MP would have a field day that's without involving trading standards.

So unless the UKIP's get in next time feel free to buy with confidence from any other EU member country.

Dealers that refuse to work on any EU purchased product's are suffering from ignorance and need to be enlightened before they loose Franchises and have visits from Trading Standards.

Ps I work for a leasing company mostly asset finance ie plant and equipment also vehicles. We have seen this situation before with regards to the exchange rate making it cheaper to buy in other EU countries before the Manufacturers correct their prices here in the UK.
Lets see if that happens sooner rather than later
some interesting points.

But you've highlighted the reason for one of you complaints in your own post. Lots of car retailers are franchises, this isn't the case in cycling, where many shops are fully independent. This is a crucial difference.

Also worth nothing is that most of the brands / manufacturers buy in us$ from the far east, so the relative € decline will effect the comparative value of the bikes when comparing £s to €s. However if a brand is buying in $ and selling in £s which many big eBike brands are the actual value of the € is irrelevant to their pricing.

Just a bit of info for you.