Haibike Bosch chainset removal

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Chaps,

I've been trying (and failing :() to remove the crank arm and chainset on my Haibike in order to try running a larger chainring.

I've discovered I need one of these Park Tool Co. » CCP-44 : Crank Puller for Splined Cranks : Crank Tools to remove the crank - it's not the old square section I'm used to.

However, the chainset itself then appears to be held in place by a large ring with 8 notches in it which screws onto the motor unit and holds the chainring in place. My attempts to loosen this with a drift and hammer in one of the slots has come to nothing.

Does anyone know of a specific tool that will do this job ????

Thanks, optimistically :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hmmm...would not mind upping the gearing on my AVE as well, does the warranty go out the window or I guess you just change it back.

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I'm trying to switch from 38t to 42t to increase top end a bit without clobbering useful low end.

It's counter-intuitive about that ring being LH thread - I'd have thought it would loosen in use. Looks like I need a special lockring remover as well as a special crank puller - maybe I'll get there one day.......

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
Both tools will work, but you have to be careful to make sure the tool doesn't jump out under pressure, the cheaper tool especially so. Cheap tools can be good value if you are careful. The more expensive tool is often stronger and should last longer, but in your case you should be OK, unless things are very tight and stubborn.