Haibike Flyon derestricted, or something else?

RowerRich

Just Joined
Aug 12, 2020
Evening all, I am hoping for some (clearly biased) advice please...

I am about to buy my first e-bike through the Green Commute Initiative, and am looking for a derestricted option which can get me up a pretty steep long (2 mile+) hill on my daily commute. I don’t want to arrive in a sweat and needing a shower, as I’m actually a regular (100+ days in a row now) road cyclist and get plenty of training on that.

So this will really be a bike for the commute and some light trail riding at weekends, but...being a roadie, I like going as fast as possible!

I‘ve been looking at the Haibike Flyon as it has serious torque 120nm, but the big question I can’t seem to find the answer to anywhere, is how fast will a derestricted bike go uphill when pedalling ‘lightly’? They are about £4500 which I realise is serious money, but if I spent £3000 instead would I get an equivalent beast? I’ve also looked at Cube Reaction Hybrids, and I have a Cube road bike so trust the quality (and relative value).

Thanks in advance for your help!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will climb faster with the flyon motor as it is 120nm esp up hill but if you want one with a dongle and warranty ebike shop is your only option.

dongles only remove the speed limit tho so if you gear the bike for max speed it will hurt how fast you can climb a hill.

• Informative
Reactions: georgehenry

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike shop has been selling dongles for years and will honor the motor warranty thus why you cant buy the dongle from them.

and my bike has been illegal since 2014 and what yeah nothing lmfao :p

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
And then it becomes a speed pedelcec/moped, and you need insurance, MOT, etc. The odds of getting caught are slim but it does happen - a good friend of mine is head of roads policing for our County and he tells me they do catch and prosecute a few.

But more to the point, this sort of activity risks ruining it for the law abiding pedelec owners, who don't want ever more restrictive or awkward legislation thrust upon them because a few people think the law doesn't apply to them.

A legal pedelec with a good battery capacity and a torquey motor will get you up your hill. You would need those attributes anyway, regardless of whether it was a legal machine or an illegal one.

Reactions: Amoto65 and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
The flyon will belt up a hill with ease
A dongle will not make you go up the hill much faster as it does not increase the power just the cut off speed
I have also found that the cut off speed of the flyon to be around 16.5mph so a bit more generous than others
I like the flyon a lot but I still would not sell my Scott with the e8000 for it
Happy hunting

cjd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2013
You know the new Wisper Wayfarer crank pulls plus 100NM and more and is half the cost? Well worth it as its stunning bike and great build quality. @Wisper Bikes

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
OP wanted derestriction. How does that work on the Wisper?
It can be done here internally but there is a process to be gone through. It also makes the bike illegal to use in the UK anywhere the public have access and voids the warranty.

All the best, David

Reactions: cjd