Haibike gear change issues

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I have a Trekking 4 and have covered about 450 miles so far. I am finding that the gear changing is really poor - it will change easily enough against the spring of the derailleur from 9th up to first (small cog to the bigger cog), but coming back down the cogs it delays changing gear, jumps, sticks, block changes about 5 seconds after I actually change gear, remains in the same gear until I do a double or triple click on the handlebar gear changer, or a selection of all of that.

It has only ever been used on the road, and I have adjusted the gearchange from the small adjuster on the handle bar gear changer, but that I don't think is the issue - it does not seem to be able to release the spring arm when coming from the bigger cogs to the smaller.

Anyone else had any similar issues and sorted it?

Thanks you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds like the indexing is screwed up as you should never adjust the shifter unless it is in a bike stand.

sounds like the cable is way to tight and the hi low settings need redoing and the b screw.

Reactions: Slartibartfast

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
If it changes back to the lowest gears (against the spring) without any issues its not an index issue
Only 2 things will effect the opposite shift and thats a sticky gear cable or a weak derailer spring
Pull the cable first and see how it feels

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have a Trekking 4 and have covered about 450 miles so far. I am finding that the gear changing is really poor - it will change easily enough against the spring of the derailleur from 9th up to first (small cog to the bigger cog), but coming back down the cogs it delays changing gear, jumps, sticks, block changes about 5 seconds after I actually change gear, remains in the same gear until I do a double or triple click on the handlebar gear changer, or a selection of all of that.

It has only ever been used on the road, and I have adjusted the gearchange from the small adjuster on the handle bar gear changer, but that I don't think is the issue - it does not seem to be able to release the spring arm when coming from the bigger cogs to the smaller.

Anyone else had any similar issues and sorted it?

Thanks you.
There are good adjustment procedures to be found on both bike web sites and YouTube...I have used them to excellent effect.
regards
Andy

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
If it changes back to the lowest gears (against the spring) without any issues its not an index issue
Only 2 things will effect the opposite shift and thats a sticky gear cable or a weak derailer spring
Pull the cable first and see how it feels
This is my thinking. I have another bike and have adjusted the Shimano’s perfectly, plus put new cables on it. If it’s the spring, it’s warranty I would have thought, only got it late Feb.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if it all lines up and still has a problem not much else it can be bar the spring as thats all it is there for.

i would take it back to the dealer as warranty on wear parts can be a problem if trying to sort it on ur own.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
well if it all lines up and still has a problem not much else it can be bar the spring as thats all it is there for.

i would take it back to the dealer as warranty on wear parts can be a problem if trying to sort it on ur own.
Wise advice and one I am going to follow before I touch anything myself so they cannot then blame me for fiddling with it!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0104.JPG

they can still look straight but that was enough to total mine the dealer should have a alignment tool to check it tho and rule it out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it did until i tried to put a 12spd eagle cassette on and had to buy a new hanger for £25 as the jockey wheel was smashing in to the cassette half way up lol.