Haibike sduro cross vs hardseven sl

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Hello all,

I am in the process of deciding to get my first ebike. I decided to aim for a crank drive rather than a hub after hearing about possible spoke problems that hub drives are more prone to.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the above 2.

I realise these are torque sensing so no throttle but I don't mind. I'd like to still get some exercise while using the bike!

Thanks in advance

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Hello all,

I am in the process of deciding to get my first ebike. I decided to aim for a crank drive rather than a hub after hearing about possible spoke problems that hub drives are more prone to.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the above 2.

I realise these are torque sensing so no throttle but I don't mind. I'd like to still get some exercise while using the bike!

Thanks in advance
In addition if my wife ends up needing to pull a trailer with the children from time to time, should I be thinking of a hub bike with an accelerator option instead?

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Hi. I have the hard seven sl and it's absolutely brilliant. Loads of power from the Yamaha motor, I used to have a hub motor on my old mtb and it was ok and did the job but this makes a massive difference. You don't need a throttle with this bike, just stick it in high and even the gentlest of pushes on the pedals will get you motoring up to cut off speed.

If you haven't ridden one yet then that's what you need to do next and that will make your mind up. It did for me. I use mine every day to get to work on.

Reactions: Vasilis_Pap

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hello,

The Cross is a new model to the UK for 2016. So you won't find much feedback on this particular bike yet. However the HardSeven was a very popular model this year and thus has sold out.

Why not read my 'Who is this bike suitable for' on each of the following bikes and decide which will suit your needs better. Better still, arrange an appointment and I will be happy to run through things with you over a coffee in person with the range in front of us..

Although not officially listed on our electric bikes category yet, you can find the details of both 2016 models here:

2016 Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL & 2016 Haibike sDuro Cross SL.

If you're looking for feedback on the HardSeven SL then look at over 10 reviews on the 2015 model here.

Enjoy your Journey!
Martin

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
I was choosing between hardnine SL and cross models myself this spring. I bought hardnine SL. It is more fun. Weight difference is negligible. 100mm fork with lockout (when it is needed). I already swapped the fork to fox float 32 with 120mm travel. It is possible to fit a decent transmission there as well. The only downside of the SL model is shitty rear mech out of the box. It really sucks because they fitted trekking non shadow deore version there, so mech is rattling on bumps like crazy. Not only it is annoying, but after a month it left noticeable dent on the chainstay. So I had to replace it with xt shadow+, which was not that expensive. On the contrast cross comes with everything except wheels XT. However cross fork has steel spring, so you won't be able to adjust it to your weight, or your wife's weight. The question really comes down to what type of riding you want to do. Curb bombing, trails and other stuff like this - SL and upgrade the rear mech and the front brake (if you decide to derestrict), probably fork if you have spare cash, stock is not that great but it works and you can adjust it; commuting, gravel roads, light offroad - Cross RX and consider possibility to change the fork. Obviously wheels are piece of a crap on both bikes. I also fitted baloon (big apple 28x2.35) tires on my bike, not sure if I would be able to do so on the cross model.

Last edited:

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
I was choosing between hardnine SL and cross models myself this spring. I bought hardnine SL. It is more fun. Weight difference is negligible. 100mm fork with lockout (when it is needed). I already swapped the fork to fox float 32 with 120mm travel. It is possible to fit a decent transmission there as well. The only downside of the SL model is shitty rear mech out of the box. It really sucks because they fitted trekking non shadow deore version there, so mech is rattling on bumps like crazy. Not only it is annoying, but after a month it left noticeable dent on the chainstay. So I had to replace it with xt shadow+, which was not that expensive. On the contrast cross comes with everything except wheels XT. However cross fork has steel spring, so you won't be able to adjust it to your weight, or your wife's weight. The question really comes down to what type of riding you want to do. Curb bombing, trails and other stuff like this - SL and upgrade the rear mech and the front brake (if you decide to derestrict), probably fork if you have spare cash, stock is not that great but it works and you can adjust it; commuting, gravel roads, light offroad - Cross RX and consider possibility to change the fork. Obviously wheels are piece of a crap on both bikes. I also fitted baloon (big apple 28x2.35) tires on my bike, not sure if I would be able to do so on the cross model.
Why pay out extra on a brand new bike to get better components when you could just buy a better bike .!!!

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Why pay out extra on a brand new bike to get better components when you could just buy a better bike .!!!
Many reasons. For instance one may not have enough money to pay for better equipment right now. And biking season will end soon. Hardnine SL costs 2100 EUR and Cross 2400. So for the price difference one can derestrict and fit a new transmission... So one will get a bike which will have the same transmission and somewhat working fork (instead of shitty coil-elastomer). And brakes... it is possible to get XT front brake for like 40 euro online, which will be enough as rear brake is useless anyway. I have no problem locking rear wheel and hardseven have the same brake. I usually use it for cornering or bullying pedestrians who are walking on bicycle lanes.

Last edited:

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
In the uk the 2016 cross and SL models are only 50£ difference.

My use will mainly be road but I don't want to worry riding over rough road areas or light trail. 90% will be the road though or parks etc.

Given the above would a cross with a potential upgrade on the fork be the better way forward?

Reactions: Twinkleten

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
In the uk the 2016 cross and SL models are only 50£ difference.

My use will mainly be road but I don't want to worry riding over rough road areas or light trail. 90% will be the road though or parks etc.

Given the above would a cross with a potential upgrade on the fork be the better way forward?
Oh. If it's only 50 pounds difference than it is a no brainer. You should get the cross. I think it should be fine if you will fit 100mm fork there. However, as I found out today haibike frame geometry is fu***ing retarded. I discovered crack on my frame, and I did just south of 1300 kilometers on it. They attached seatstays directly to the seatpost tube without any reinforcements. Morons. I have sduro hardnine. But geometry is similar on all sduro hardtails and cross/trekking models. I am not sure what to do now as I don't have a dealer in my country. Let's see what welder will say about that. Some photos of the crack: http://imgur.com/a/W9bb7

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Wow that's not good!
I was planning on fitting child's seat mounted on the frame! That ain't going to be nice if they crack!

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Yes. And I did not do anything extreme on it like drops and what not. Roughest things I did was going up and down curbs without dismounting. Also rode it in local parks, so yeah, there are roots here and there, no rocks. Tried to learn how to wheelie couple of times. And thats about it.

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
In the uk the frame is given 5 years warranty. I'd say if you can afford to part with it to send it back it may be worth it.

I just rode my brothers cuda full suspension bike for a trial. It's a large frame so a bit big for me (seat post almost all the way down) .

Rear suspension was 100mm and I didn't know how to reduce the bounce ability but for road use it wasn't really required. Made the ride worse I have to say. Front fork was rockshock with the remote lockout. I found that quite handy. 100mm travel as well.

Reactions: spikey

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Well I can find the sum needed to send the frame back to Germany, instead of buying new Hope V4 tech 3 front brake, which I planned to get this week. However I am not sure if it does make sense from practical point of view. I think it is a constructive defect, and a new frame will get crack in the same place sooner or later. I found a professional welder who restores and repairs bike frames, he already reaired about 200 frames. I want to show him my frame and see what he will say. Maybe he will be able to reinforce it in critical places.

Last edited:

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Well today I tried the hardseven sl 2015 and a ktm with a bosch motor. Ktm was lighter so felt a bit more brisk but I liked the hardseven as well.

I think I'll probably go for the sduro cross 2016 model once it is out.

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
It is obviously your choice. But I will not buy haibike ever again. My frame cracked after 1300 km ffs. It is unacceptable. I think my bike will be ready to pick up tomorrow. I will create a thread here with photos.

Reactions: Vasilis_Pap

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you not got any warranty ? 5 years on frames.

you jumping over houses on it lol

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
I do have a warranty. What I don't have is any official dealer locally. So sending the bike back to Germany for warranty replacement would be more expensive than to weld it locally. Plus it would take couple of month to do so. And I am not sure that the new bike frame will not snap in the same place.

As I sad above I did not do anything too crazy on it, like drops for instance. Probably the craziest things I did was riding over roots and speed bumps at full speed. Also curbs, but I always unweighted the rear wheel when I did them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
forgot you in moscow lol be right pita then tho bet you only 1 that has 1 in hole country atm.

has a weld snapped open on it? as welds on my bike can hardly see them there that good on front anyway