Haibike SDuro Hard 9 battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yamaha like Bosch and others use CANbus, if your battery has truly got a duff BMS then the battery as is, is of not much use.
How do you know the BMS is toast ?
One can't simply replace the BMS to use on Yamaha and only Yamaha can programme it.
You will need a new battery, if it is under two years old then the dealer should replace under warrant.
If the battery is older and out of warranty then it has value in the cells inside, a diyer can reutilise those cells and add a generic BMS to use on another bike not using CANbus or use the cells for other uses.

Debbie B

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 17, 2020
39579there is a component I think it's called a fet... been replaced on the board a couple of times but keeps fusing.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
View attachment 39579there is a component I think it's called a fet... been replaced on the board a couple of times but keeps fusing.
IMO, then it is either the wrong component, or its being over stressed by other components. Only the original manufacturer MIGHT KNOW - Bosch or Yamaha I believe, in this case....
If it is a Bosch part, and the guarantee has run out, a long term, reliable replacement, is probably a new bike with a hub motor, and sell off the Bosch as defective.
If it is the other company that Haibike bought motors from, Yamaha, I do not know their repair policies at all, sorry, then they will be the best ones to ask.
You have to decide though.
Guessing only, but you do not want to be looking back in one years time, and find that you are still fighting such and similar Bosch/Yamaha problems I feel.
If you want it fixed, (as you already know!) you need to pay for Bosch or Yamaha to do it! Probably not cheap!
I would suggest a reasonable priced Hub e-bike, with standard Chinese parts, that any LBS can quickly fix or replace...or even a good DIYer....
Best wishes
Andy

Debbie B

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 17, 2020
Have another question about the Battery:
There are three wires on the output side – please see the picture below

I need to know the purpose of the thin white wire. Is it a heat sensor wire or a switch and is it necessary for the operation of the bike. If it is not necessary, then we can refurbish the bike using one of our standard PCM’s with just +ve and –ve outputs.

Does it provide a constant voltage output? If so, what is the voltage and could we address the issue by installing a 36V to the appropriate voltage converter?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have another question about the Battery:
There are three wires on the output side – please see the picture below

I need to know the purpose of the thin white wire. Is it a heat sensor wire or a switch and is it necessary for the operation of the bike. If it is not necessary, then we can refurbish the bike using one of our standard PCM’s with just +ve and –ve outputs.

Does it provide a constant voltage output? If so, what is the voltage and could we address the issue by installing a 36V to the appropriate voltage converter?
The battery uses comms with the motor, so you can't fit a standard BMS. A year ago or so, there was a thread on the German Pedelec forum, where somebody reverse engineered the code and came up with a way of using an arduino to do the comms in order to use a standard BMS or battery.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The battery uses comms with the motor, so you can't fit a standard BMS. A year ago or so, there was a thread on the German Pedelec forum, where somebody reverse engineered the code and came up with a way of using an arduino to do the comms in order to use a standard BMS or battery.
I looked on Pedelec Germany, and the only infos that I found are horrendously outdated, most before 2010, or just after. Technical details I did not find (or look for), just people talking about it.
I searched using "arduino bosch batterie".
Do you have a more "modern" link for the German Arduino idea, with technical details?
I had the thought that if anyone had interest in the UK, that I might do a translation. My personal take would that it would need to be say for batteries/bikes made not more than 5 years ago, but I am not fixed particularly on any particular date.......
What say you? Is it possibly a good idea? Anyone?
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Could be this thread Andy, I found it quite easily.
Haibike - Yamaha: Reverse-Engineering | Seite 10 - Pedelec-Forum

Even though our forum is good, the .de forum is much larger and quite technical.
I don't use it much but do pop in now and then.
Thanks.
i will have a look and see if it might help UK Pedelecers, and if I can translate it in a useful manner of course.....
(At one time, as a hobby when I was only working part time, after retiring, I translated some electronic books, one a similar single wire interface!)
Thanks again
Andy
PS. Right thread, but starts on page 1 for Batteries, and later, mixed in with the battery infos, are speed dongle infos as well using similar topology! Sadly!
I must do a few days reading before I can make a decision either way...
I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that Yamaha batteries are the same as Bosch batteries. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, the Yam batteries use handshaking info ( CANbus system ) between components.
At least with bikes that use generic batteries the only comm's is controller to display which is just tx/rx and then some will still work but not 100%, which is why the advice is always to buy controller/display together as a pair for the little that it costs.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yes, the Yam batteries use handshaking info ( CANbus system ) between components.
At least with bikes that use generic batteries the only comm's is controller to display which is just tx/rx and then some will still work but not 100%, which is why the advice is always to buy controller/display together as a pair for the little that it costs.
Some of the data was stored on MS One Drive, and has since been removed. So I have asked to see if I can get hold of it in some way.
The parts appear to be i2C, which is also the basis of one of the books I translated quite some time ago! That was a German Author who could do everything, also in English, except to write it correctly!! But his German was quite good!!
It must have been about 2010.....
Regards
Andy