Reviewer: Nevil Hutchinson

Purchased From: e-bikes direct

Purchase Price: £2450

Time Owned: 4 months

Local Terrain:
Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:

Looks good. Is actually pretty easy to pedal with no assist. The components are robust and it rides very smoothly and quietly. I rarely ride in High mode (High; Standard; Eco; Eco +) and in fact probably ride at least half the time in Eco mode. It feels much more like riding a 'normal' bike compared with riding my wife's Trek Verve-style 2016 model Bosch ActiveLine bike. So I find I do actulaly get a bit out of breath going up hills whatever mode i'm in. I get a sense that the harder I pedal, the more assist I get (or perhaps it's the higher the cadence?).
The inbuilt lighting system is good and just about adequate to see if there's no additional lighting and you go slowly enough.

Weaknesses:
I don't like that you can't remove the control display. Surely this would be simple to allow?
It's a bit annoying that they don't have standard frame mounts for bottle cages - you have to buy an adapter to use on the Modular Rail System (MRS) which appears to be unique to Haibike.
At the start I had trouble with the power cutting out seemingly at random, although the bike shop recognised that this was due to insufficiently tightly adjusted battery mounting. I adjusted this and it's been fine since.
Like all ebikes, the Range information is utterly pointless and worthless. I really don't understand why they bother with it: It depends on level of your input, terrain, and the fact that battery discharge is often non-linear.

Summary:
Overally I absolutely love this bike. It is more than powerful enough. It performs as well (if not better) than the top of the range R&M equivalent for less than half the price. I got it to commute to work over the South Downs (off road but not in any way 'technical') and it is a joy to do so.

Attachments

Reactions: richtea99

Tonto55

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2014
Reviewer: Nevil Hutchinson

Purchased From: e-bikes direct

Purchase Price: £2450

Time Owned: 4 months

Local Terrain:
Moderate Hills

Strengths:

Looks good. Is actually pretty easy to pedal with no assist. The components are robust and it rides very smoothly and quietly. I rarely ride in High mode (High; Standard; Eco; Eco +) and in fact probably ride at least half the time in Eco mode. It feels much more like riding a 'normal' bike compared with riding my wife's Trek Verve-style 2016 model Bosch ActiveLine bike. So I find I do actulaly get a bit out of breath going up hills whatever mode i'm in. I get a sense that the harder I pedal, the more assist I get (or perhaps it's the higher the cadence?).
The inbuilt lighting system is good and just about adequate to see if there's no additional lighting and you go slowly enough.

Weaknesses:
I don't like that you can't remove the control display. Surely this would be simple to allow?
It's a bit annoying that they don't have standard frame mounts for bottle cages - you have to buy an adapter to use on the Modular Rail System (MRS) which appears to be unique to Haibike.
At the start I had trouble with the power cutting out seemingly at random, although the bike shop recognised that this was due to insufficiently tightly adjusted battery mounting. I adjusted this and it's been fine since.
Like all ebikes, the Range information is utterly pointless and worthless. I really don't understand why they bother with it: It depends on level of your input, terrain, and the fact that battery discharge is often non-linear.

Which motor does your bike have, Bosch or Yamaha?
Summary:
Overally I absolutely love this bike. It is more than powerful enough. It performs as well (if not better) than the top of the range R&M equivalent for less than half the price. I got it to commute to work over the South Downs (off road but not in any way 'technical') and it is a joy to do so.