Haibiken xduro rx

insanewayne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2014
Hi I'm new here, i've just bought my first off road haibike xduro rx 2015 model. now this is most likely and very old question on here, but i will ask anyway, I use the bike off road which it's great but i also ride to work, and i want the 15mph cut off removed. been doing my research and understand the dongle, but for this model the only people i can find is the e-bikeshop. and they will only supply the dongle to bikes they have sold?? which as you can guess it did not come from them?? do i have any other options or routes to go down. Thanks for your help in advance.

insanewayne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2014
'Sell' the bike to e-bikeshop and then 'buy' it back from them with a dongle fitted...

Seriously if you google Bosch performance dongle there are other sources for them.
Having trouble finding another source. Any one used another dealer.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Badass dongle is cordless, much neater, and usually cheaper than the wired in ones.

https://www.badassebikes.com/en/

Several people one here have one - including me - and I can confirm it works well.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It clips onto the speed sensor on the chainstay.

No wires, nothing else, it just works.

Only downside is it makes the speedo give a false reading over about 11mph.

The wired-in dongles do the same, so I cannot understand why anyone would buy and fit one of those when the Badass one works so well.

Should mention that Raleigh (Haibike) have now issued a statement about derestricting their eBikes.

I'm quoting from another thread, but thought it was worth sharing. There is HUGE pressure coming from the motorbike industry for the government and cycle industry to police the use of these illegal motorbikes on the roads, so expect to see much more stringent measures in place against dealers selling, and people using these bikes in public places. There have been a couple of years where eBikes have been underground enough for you to get away with it. This time is I suspect coming to an end I'm afraid, even if we (the eBike industry wanted you to be able to use them) the Motorbike industry is much more powerful and the eBike dealers selling these bikes and dongles are taking moped / motorbike sales away from them, and they are NOT happy.

------------------------------------------------------------

"At long last Haibike dealers Raleigh have made public their their view on de-restricting electric bikes, publishing guidance for dealers and public this evening:

"As you may or may not be aware, there has been much talk recently of the de-restriction of electric bikes in the UK to exceed current legal limits.

To be clear on our position we are adding the below information to our public facing websites in relation to our ebikes.

These statements are in line with the best interests of our consumers and of course in line with recommendations from our suppliers.

The following notification will be added to each e-bike on our websites:

Important

Please be aware that this bike is regulated in line with existing Electric Power Assisted Cycles regulations.

Any modification to the bike will invalidate the guarantee and in particular any modification which increases the power of the motor and/or the top assisted speed of the bike may make the rider liable to prosecution.

Excluding statutory obligations Raleigh will not be held responsible for any injuries incurred following any modification to this product.

Furthermore, the following will be added to FAQ section of our websites:

‘Is Tuning Authorised?’

The are various companies and individuals who offer a “tuning” or customized modification of Bosch e-bike Systems, especially through the internet.

As the original component manufacturer, Bosch e-Bike Systems strongly advises against using such products and services, or attempting to modify a Bosch e-Bike System yourself: there is a great risk of shortening your system’s service life, and of damaging both the drive unit and the bike.

There is also the danger of negating the guarantee and warranty claims on the bike you purchased.

In addition, improper treatment of the system will endanger your safety and that of other road users, risking accidents as a result of this tuning, as well as steep personal liability costs and even criminal prosecution.

Therefore, Bosch e-Bike Systems calls upon all e-bike riders and vendors to refrain from “tuning” products and services.

‘I want to buy a used ebike whose owner claims to have made some “improvements” to the system. What do you recommend?’

Our clear advice in this situation: Stay away from such offers.

The Bosch e-Bike System is designed for maximum safety and service life, and all components of the system are controlled and monitored by very complex software. Any intervention in the structure of the system will almost certainly lead to deterioration in function: It can jeopardize the safety of the rider, cause wear to greatly increase, or even mean that operation and use violate legal regulations.

Any work on the system except by an authorized person or organization following the manufacturers’ guidelines would certainly negate any Guarantee or Warranty offered by the manufacturer or supplier."

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
"Motorbike industry is much more powerful and the eBike dealers selling these bikes and dongles are taking moped / motorbike sales away from them, and they are NOT happy."

Now we have the truth!
As suspected it is nothing do do with speed ar all.

I don't think anyone has claimed its to do with speed have they? We all know its possible to go faster on a normal bike than on an eBike.

Its about motor assistance and the fact that if you want to ride something with a motor of over 250w, which gives assistance over 15.5mph, its classed as a motorbike and therefore should be sold, taxed, registered and insured as a motorbike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I admire your relentless determination to propagate your pointless scaremongering of dongles.

But it's bordering on the tiresome.

Hundreds of us enjoy the extra ridability of a bike that does not cut out at 15mph.

There is no evidence at all the dongle does any harm to the bike.

Your same, tired, old posts have no relevance to this thread, which is not even about KTM bikes, it's about a Haibike.

Last edited:
its hardly pointless scaremongering. I was at a meeting at the Motorcycle Industry Association on Tuesday - this is happening. What us, and others in the industry are doing is attempting to educate you... BEFORE the inevitable accident or high profile legal case happens. If you're riding a bike with a dongle, or an sPedelec, its a MOTORBIKE, end of - no debate.... fact.

if you choose to ride it in the public areana, then by all means do so... But each time someone discusses the it on here, someone from the industry will post and make sure the OP knows that they aren't buying a pedelec, they are buying or making a motorbike.

and I've not mentioned KTM... at all - the press release I posted was issued yesterday by HaiBike... so directly relevant to this guys post, and this along with the news from the MotorBike industry is new information that has only come up this week, hence me sharing it for your information.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCade

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
"There is HUGE pressure coming from the motorbike industry for the government and cycle industry to police the use of these illegal motorbikes on the roads"
Surely this pressure is aimed more directly at electric scooter/mopeds imported from China sold for a few hundred pounds and sold unregistered, that vastly undercut anything comparable that established motorcycle manufactures can produce, rather than dongled bicycle derived pedelecs.

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENCARS/SAKURA-S50.htm

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/adults-electric-scooter-750w-zippy-pro/112538525

http://www.funbikes.co.uk/pl-Funbike_Electric_Scooters-257-0.aspx

http://www.tamworthyamaha.com/index.php/blog/149-ec-03-p800-cash-back.html

Interstingly this Yamaha EC-03 moped has no warnings on the webpage stating that it needs to registred for the road etc.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I don't think anyone has claimed its to do with speed have they? We all know its possible to go faster on a normal bike than on an eBike.

Its about motor assistance and the fact that if you want to ride something with a motor of over 250w, which gives assistance over 15.5mph, its classed as a motorbike and therefore should be sold, taxed, registered and insured as a motorbike.
Sorry, assisted speed.

Call it what you like it is never going to be a motorbike. You have to pedal the F'kin thing to get anywhere at all.

I know of not a single motorbike that you have to pedal to get home.

Lets just have an "S" class for road use only.
Then those who wish to make use of this new mode of transport can.

The old retired boys that have all day to do mostly nothing can if they wish still potter all day at 15mph.