Hailong downtube battery mount. Frame mounting a battery

matthewjy

Just Joined
Feb 1, 2021
Hello,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks, I'm building my first e-bike with a TSDZ2 and this forum has been a huge help.

I was having issues getting my battery to mount to the frame securely and the right way around. I didn't want to mount it upside down or drill the frame so I got one of these Wolf Tooth B-rad mounting bases. They do a 2 and 3 slot base as well but the 4 slot is about the same length as the battery mounts base. I got it from Sigma Sports for £24.99 w/delivery. You attach to the frame with 2 bolts and it also is shaped to take 7 cable ties, Hopefully plenty secure, Thought it might be a useful solution to some people.

all the best
WT-BRAD-4-BLK-03_590x.jpg

Reactions: Peddlin' Pedro

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
I had a home brew version of this on my 3 rd build, but since then i have been relying of strapping the battery obviously locked on the slide with 3 straps, i bought some on Amazon for suitcase closure.. short one which are adjustable and have click fit buckles.. and since then have acquired a RIV nut tool and proper sized bottle cage RIV nuts.. and added two more bosses for the slide bracket to attached more securely , yet retain one strap, why, because a story from my battery builder, he had just built a hybrid for a friends teenage son the eldest of the brood and a fast cyclist... while flying low and blind he hit a bump in the dark, battery jumped off the rails and 400quid went for a tumble into several expensive pieces on the tarmac. the seller reckoned he had in a rush to get the young fella away not fitted the battery securely. so he stood another battery build...better safe than sorry.. will

rwm1962

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2021
I've been looking at these B-Rads as a solution for same reason. How have you found it in use?

1happybadger

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2021
Hi, I just built my bike over the weekend and had the same issue, I ordered a cheap rivnut tool from Amazon and drilled the extra holes in the frame. I did consider the adaptor but preferred the rivnut option. The only issue I encountered was being able to drill the holes straight as the drill won’t fit inside the frame. I drilled smaller holes and then filed them out neatly to fit the rivnut. My biggest problem is my hydraulic brake lever sensors are no good for my brakes, there is no movement on the lever to pull the magnet away. Does anyone know of a cheap (less than £100.00) suitable hydraulic brake set that the sensors work well with. I have looked at the Tektro HD M285 but not sure if they will work any better?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm running Tektro HDC-300 hydraulic brakes on my bike and they look similar to the HD-M285.
It was easy to fit the cut-off sensor and magnet, and once I had ensured that they were working perfectly, I added a small amount of glue to the magnet and sensor, to semi-permanently fix them in place.

Tektro Lever.jpg

Tektro Caliper.jpg

Reactions: Scorpio

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
While the adapter plate looks like a neat solution, at the end of the day the battery will still be held on by just two bolts at one end which imho is not ideal. Riv nuts are easy to install even without a special tool, just search on utube, and a couple of extra strap are a good idea too. They can be zip ties and/or Velcro straps.

I also have a similar brake sensors to fordulike but used Sugru to stick them on.

rwm1962

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2021
Aye - I've binned the idea. No reflection on Wolf Tooth as my use it not what the item was designed for. I'm getting some mounts 3D printed to match my downtube diameter & modifying the plate & avoiding the bottle bosses altogether. Rivnuts are not something I want to do on this frame.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Aye - I've binned the idea. No reflection on Wolf Tooth as my use it not what the item was designed for. I'm getting some mounts 3D printed to match my downtube diameter & modifying the plate & avoiding the bottle bosses altogether. Rivnuts are not something I want to do on this frame.
Post a picture please when done.

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
While I totally understand your respect for the frame RIV nuts are the way forward for any heavy centrally mounted battery, I have now modded several with 2 extra bolts on each lower base with a strap over the whole affair and its held very tightly , my reasons are safety and our extremely poor road surfaces and the fact that several of my friends for whom I built machines have forgotten to lock their battery on, dispensed with the straps that i supplied and 2 of them have had to have, 1, a new battery and 2, a new casing and that meant sending a battery and getting it back again plus the actual repair or replacement cost.. its made my eyes water.. The last 36 v battery I fitted on a new Alloy Ridley frameset none of the base plate 2 holes would line up suitably with the bottlecage Riv inserts on the frame, So we ended up with 5 holes.. in a straight line... as if we had used the supplied holes the battery end would be jammed up tight at the downtube before it locked into place and transmitted the power.. they are hidden and even if at some time in the distant future this machine is returned to a push bike some nice buttonheaded allen bolts will dress it OK..will