Aug 17, 2006

Reviewer: Alex Taylor

Purchased From: Halfords

Purchase Price: £699

Time Owned: 1 Week

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Almost as light as a conventional bike. Small battery (2.7kg) neatly stowed on carrier behind seat, light enough to make carrying a 2nd battery feasible. Low price. 5 speed hub gear protected from dirt. Nicely equipped MTB.

Weaknesses:
Low power output, moderate rider effort required. Range only 15m. in speed mode or 20 m. in economy mode. pedelec only.

Summary:
I test rode most of the more powerful bikes & realised I am fit enough to only require gentle assistance.
The Sram Sparc system makes the hills around Edinburgh much less daunting & increases my speed by 4-5 mph. Climbing long hills is no sweat, with swift pedaling I can stay above 7 mph even on the steepest inclines. 28 mph is possible downhill though the motor cuts out at 15 mph.
I will buy a 2nd NiMH battery which is light enough to carry thus ensuring total discharge which is best for NiMH. I hope these 2 batteries will give better & more flexible long term service than 1 big lithium battery

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
carrera Spark

Have been out for the second time on new purchase, a carrera Spark bought from Halfords. Part of the reason for choosing it was price-on their web site they offered it for £100 pounds off and another 10% off on top-could'nt resist as I had seen and ridden the bike a few days earlier.
Well I went out tonight for the second run on it to flatten the battery, NiMh, 8Amp hr, small and neat. Yesterday I had done about 10 miles and two of the battery lights had gone out so tonight I expected to get 4 or 5 miles more and indeed the last light went out at about 4 miles but the bike continued to usher in power unabated and I had to give up as it got too dark after 6 or 7 miles with no sign of the power shutting off.
I had out pedalled the motor several times and had selected the hilliest part locally but still not much. I have no doubt that it will take me to work on speed(!) mode, 14 miles and the battery is easy to remove to charge.
So far very pleased with it. Only downside was that it had no mudguards, easy to fit, and it won't readily rake a standard rear rack because of the rack which carried the battery behind the seat.
Last of all its the first bike I have ridden which has suspension-great stuff, chose rough bits to ride over just to test it out, childish but fun!

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Paul Ewan

Retailer: Halfords

Purchase Price: 585

Time Owned: 1 week

Terrain: Some minor hills

Strengths:
The cost is low and it seems to climb hills quite well. Very simple and easy to work. Power input is smooth and the bike itself is light and fairly easy to ride unpowered.

Weaknesses:
It lacks mudguards, not hard to fit though, and it will not readily take a standard rear pannier. frame small but suitable to height about 6ft.

Summary:
I charged the battery and set off on my first long(ish) ride on an electric bike. The power cuts in gently in either eco or speed mode. Power is not strong but is there and distictly helping, especialy up hills. Get the cadence right and peddeling becomes easy. After 10 miles two of the three battery indicaters had gone out. The next day I set off again to flatten the battery and see how far it would go. Several times I peddaled faster than the motor which cut in and out smoothly and showed that the bike is easy enough to get above 16 mph on flat roads. After another 6 miles the battery lights were all out but the power was still pushing on as usual. Got too dark to continue. I now know that the bike will take me at least 16 miles on power setting, the faster option. the Battery is easy to remove for charging indoors and can be left attached all night.

Overall Rating: 7

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
Carrera Spark Update

I have now ridden the Spark about 500 miles, mostly to work but a few rides for pleasure.
I am still pleased with my purchase and have no trouble at all with the bike or its motor.
I fitted a rear rack as well as mudguards. On several journeys I have ridden through some heavy rain and spray from passing cars and had no problemswith the electrics.
I carry the charger to work, it is small and light, and recharge before coming home. I find little difference in travel time between slogging along and sitting up and taking in the scenery! Odd really, perhaps due to cadence?
chess