Halfords crossfire 2019 and torque sensor

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
First off, apologies to woosh, but I needed to buy a bike that has support locally.
And the only one at a price point I could afford was the Carerra 2019 version.
I was able to use the 10% off code on Xmas day so got this bike for under a grand.
I have had the earlier version before for a short time before I sent it back for a refund because of the power off issue, but this time, at this price, I can live with any short power off issues or the odd spoke breaking.
I do not remember the torque sensor needing to be pedalled so hard for the motor to kick in.
I have had a real workout on my first ride tonight, so much so that my legs are sore.
So my questions are:
Can I adjust the sensitivity/threshold of the torque sensor to make the motor kick in when not so hard on the pedals?
Can I adjust settings on the display like I can on the KT displays?
Thanks.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I think think the new bike uses an updated HESC rear motor (it looks slightly diffetrent) but the display and chainset looking at the pictures on the Halfords looks identical the 2nd gen version 2016-2018, and I don't think there is anyway to reduce the torque settings.
Ths chainset sensor relies on a cadence sensor and torque sensor and combines the two. The torque sensor measures the gap between the inner and outer toothed discs inside the chainset. These narrow the gap when pressure is applied to the pedals, the harder you pedal the narrower the gap. There are 4 springs inside that give tension to the disc. It could be that these springs will loosen up in time and the pressure required on the pedals is reduced.
I don't think there is anything within the display to adjust

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Does anyone know of a site that sells same converter so I can get a good visual look at it?
Thank you for your previous and any later replies.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Parts are OEM and only available from Halfrauds. Some photos on this thread.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
LOL, I stumbled on that post, but only read from the fixed metal lug part.
Thank you again.
I wonder could any of these ever replace that sensor/pas combo, and if so, would we have to buy the configurator device at the same time?

Pity it is a new bike. I would love to remove two of the 5 springs, opposite each other to see if the motor would kick in quicker.

Is the Torque converter aftermarket or do you think it would be part of this?

This link shows how to fit it:

This document seems to show the crank and talks about the torque sensor in the blurb.

Last edited: