Halfords electric bike

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hello and well done Gavin for putting up your review and thoughts as it helps out others who may be considering this bike or ones with similar lecky specs.
Agreed with Nealh, a great review from Gavin.

To the OP, don't be put off buy a step-through. Its all a matter of preference. The only thing I would say is to ask your workplace if they would consider using a different bike shop (ie you name the one you want). Its probably only for ease of paperwork/admin that they stick to Halfords. (boo hiss to that).

I dithered for ages before I bought my bike and in the end I tried out various types of bikes and found out the comfiest ride for me was the not the bike I thought I wanted.

Gavin Lawrence

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Nottingham
Thanks for the review comments, the other reviews I found seemed contradictory, so I thought I would try and clear things up a bit.

Ephraimjohn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2015
Thanks for the review, Gavin, that's really useful.

I followed Nichodia's advice and rang the Halfords scheme, and apparently they use ebikes direct to fulfill all their ebike orders, so I can order anything from their website... quite a big difference! I'm still likely to have to buy without a test ride as Bodiam is a bit of a trek from here, but at least I have a wider range to choose from and can go on reviews.

It does mean that I now have a ton more research to do to figure out what bike to buy!

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We have sold alot of electric bike including through the Halfords Cycle Scheme. They are good quality bikes and very welll built when compared to others at the price point. We have someone who uses their bikes for commuting 16 miles each way and they are very pleased with it.

Ephraimjohn

Apr 15, 2015
Having spoken to the supplier they have recommended a Freego Hawk xbar, a Roodog Tourer or a Battribike Granite as being appropriate for my needs. Anyone got any thoughts about any of these?

D

Deleted member 4366

From what I've heard from dealers, Battribikes are more orvless problem free. Apart from that, they're all similar.

nichodia

Jan 14, 2015
I ended up with the freego regency for my commute..and can't fault it..rear wheel hub motor which manages the short but very steep hills marvellously, it also has the throttle which to be honest I have never used, but is nice to know I could if I wanted.

Ephraimjohn

Apr 15, 2015
Quick update. I have placed an order for a Freego Hawk.

I went and tried out a Battribike, which was good, but i preferred the look of the Freego one. Surprisingly, I found that the seating position on a step through so much more comfortable than a crossbar, so have gone for the comfort option.

Bike gets delivered on Wednesday, and I can't wait.

Reactions: nichodia