Hall sensor connection

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
You have no choice but to ignore the white wire for the time being as your motor doesn’t have a speed sensor fitted there is nothing you can do about it at the moment. You can always fit an external speed sensor if you can’t get the controller to work properly.

KT controllers have different wiring configurations, depending upon model and supplier. Some come with provision for the white speed sensor wire and some don’t. And there are other wires that may or may not be provided.

Looking at the photos, your controller doesn’t have the wiring coming out for cruise control, lighting, speed control, key lock or regenerative braking either.

You may be able to get away without the white wire because some KT controller configurations don’t rely upon a speed signal from the white wire and instead get speed information elsewhere and that is part of the configuration procedure for the P settings that you will have to do after you get your motor spinning correctly. P2 is an alternative method for calculating speed if your motor has an additional set of speed sensing magnets fitted that the hall sensors can read.

You have two other problems apart from the white wire. Error code 03 is a hall sensor wiring issue that may be a bad connection when you crimped and connected your hall wires from the motor, so check your new wiring first.

The battery must be supplying power to the KT controller without the key switch needing to be operated otherwise your display wouldn’t work. Although you should try to trace out the key switch wiring to determine how it is connected to your old controller. It may be a key lock for the controller, which is a useful feature because you can power off the controller using the key without removing the battery.

Your cadence sensor goes in to the PAS connector (brown, black and yellow). You can’t do anything about the other speed sensor connector yet (Red, white and black) because you have nothing on the bike to plug into it.
I'm going to try answer everyone as best I can as I have limited time today as have to go out very soon, so apologies if I've missed anything.

1. Yes, I could power off the controller using the battery key.

2. Yes, new controller has cruise control (black and get wires connect to themselves)

3. Yes, it has lighting/speaker wires

Thanks

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
You have no choice but to ignore the white wire for the time being as your motor doesn’t have a speed sensor fitted there is nothing you can do about it at the moment. You can always fit an external speed sensor if you can’t get the controller to work properly.

KT controllers have different wiring configurations, depending upon model and supplier. Some come with provision for the white speed sensor wire and some don’t. And there are other wires that may or may not be provided.

Looking at the photos, your controller doesn’t have the wiring coming out for cruise control, lighting, speed control, key lock or regenerative braking either.

You may be able to get away without the white wire because some KT controller configurations don’t rely upon a speed signal from the white wire and instead get speed information elsewhere and that is part of the configuration procedure for the P settings that you will have to do after you get your motor spinning correctly. P2 is an alternative method for calculating speed if your motor has an additional set of speed sensing magnets fitted that the hall sensors can read.

You have two other problems apart from the white wire. Error code 03 is a hall sensor wiring issue that may be a bad connection when you crimped and connected your hall wires from the motor, so check your new wiring first.

The battery must be supplying power to the KT controller without the key switch needing to be operated otherwise your display wouldn’t work. Although you should try to trace out the key switch wiring to determine how it is connected to your old controller. It may be a key lock for the controller, which is a useful feature because you can power off the controller using the key without removing the battery.

Your cadence sensor goes in to the PAS connector (brown, black and yellow). You can’t do anything about the other speed sensor connector yet (Red, white and black) because you have nothing on the bike to plug into it.
Ok, I will double check wiring later. I have matched up PAS, but the throttle or PAS still don't work

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
If you have 03 error then either one has a faulty motor hall or a wire connection, also check the motor connector is fully pushed home . A damaged Hall wire can also give the fault so inspect the motor wire as well.

Tbh we seem to get a lot of folks with KT issues, yet in all the years I have used KT I have never yet had an issue with installation. They have to be the most simple kits to fit and imv the best value after market kit to fit.
Any issue is down to user fitting error or simply not reading the simple wire /connection charts that come with each controller kit.
Ok, I'll double check the connection and wires when I get back, Nealh. I'm gutted as got so excited when LCD lit up but battery did automatically too. Throttle and PAS don't work. Battery now switches on as well as lcd display when I turn on, battery goes off after a few seconds when connected to the bike (off the bike it switches off instantly). Any advice appreciated. I'll be back later.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
PAS not working it will be an install fault or a wrong setting in C1, so we will need to know which PAS unit you have.
Also is the PAS wiring sequence correct with controller PAS wiring. Brown is the 5v voltage supply.

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
PAS not working it will be an install fault or a wrong setting in C1, so we will need to know which PAS unit you have.
Also is the PAS wiring sequence correct with controller PAS wiring. Brown is the 5v voltage supply.
Hi Nealh, I haven't touched any settings yet, only switched display on. Do I need to set them first for PAS and throttle to work?

Think the PAS wiring is correct from my bike to controller respectively: red - brown, black - black and white - yellow.

I'm not sure what cadence sensor/PAS I have, just the standard on my Powacycle Puma ebike. When pedals are turned it applies full assistance. Bike has Shimano 6-gears.

Last edited:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007

Just added another pic with the additional wires in the controller, AGS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic of the PAS sensor as fitted (so we can see which it is), it the C1 setting isn't correct then PAS won't work.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
He means the pas sensor disc that is fitted on the bottom bracket. The pas disc should have either 5, 8 or 10 magnets and this determines what to set the C1 parameter to. Also the disc must be very close to the sensor otherwise the hall sensor won’t trigger.

Many people have problems in this area because the sensor is fitted too far away from the disc, or the disc is fitted the wrong way around, or the sensor and disc are fitted in the wrong side of the bottom bracket.

All of these issues are easily resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: UrbanPuma

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
He means the pas sensor disc that is fitted on the bottom bracket. The pas disc should have either 5, 8 or 10 magnets and this determines what to set the C1 parameter to. Also the disc must be very close to the sensor otherwise the hall sensor won’t trigger.

Many people have problems in this area because the sensor is fitted too far away from the disc, or the disc is fitted the wrong way around, or the sensor and disc are fitted in the wrong side of the bottom bracket.

All of these issues are easily resolved.
Oh sorry. I have taken a pic now, which is quite difficult as it's obscured. I counted the number of silver magnets which is 5. There are black ones next to each of them too. If you all need another pic I will take one in the morning when I have better lighting. Hope this helps. Thanks AGS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
C1 00 is the setting, gap to sensor 1mm or less.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Set C3 00 so PAS level is always in neutral , then one can't accidently have the bike power on and shoot off.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Set C3 00 so PAS level is always in neutral , then one can't accidently have the bike power on and shoot off.
1. Ok, I've set c1 and c3 to 0.
2. P1 says 87 - what should this be?
3. C12 - what should this be? My battery is 26v 17.5ah.

My motor is 200w. Still have error 03 info and throttle and motor still don't work.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
P1 and P2 depend upon the gearing of your motor and how many magnets you have for both speed sensing and number of poles. Do you know what make and model motor you have?

Also display manuals are readily available on line and they explain most of the P and C settings, so what model display do you have?

For Error 03, have you double checked your phase sensor wiring? If you have a bad connection in the connector for one of the hall sensors this will show up as a fault. Hopefully you don’t have a bad hall sensor.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Confirm your battery voltage please as you have stated 26v ?

C12 4 is the default setting but if your battery is 26v then no wonder the bike doesn't work.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We need to see a pic of the battery and nay volatge labelling.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
We need to see a pic of the battery and nay volatge labelling.
Hi Nealth and AGS, I have attached pics of my battery, motor, display and rear wheel.

1. The battery label states 26v 10ah, but was re-celled to 17.5ah two years ago. I have sent an email to the company to double check for me as there are conflicting specifications online (some say 24v others 26v) so I'm wondering if label is wrong?

2. The motor is ANG. Please Zoom in to see label. It's either 180w or 200w from Powacycle, purchased in 2007.

3. Pic of displays's battery voltage reading.

4. Pic of rear motor wheel

I appreciate you both helping me.

Attachments

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
'Error 03' refers to an issue with a number of your motor's hall sensor signals.

Before doing anything else, you should carry out the following multimeter test in order to confirm the status of your motor's hall-effect sensors:
https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Please post the results here and I will give further advice.