Handlebar Extension

MaryPoppins

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 31, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Cube Hybrid Touring e-bike and am absolutely loving it. However I (stupidly) bought the wrong sized frame (58 instead of 62) so would like to raise/extend the handlebars to prevent muscle soreness in my shoulders on long rides.

There are a myriad of stem/riser options on the Cube website - https://www.cube.eu/en/equipment/components/stems-spacer/ - has anyone previously bought something similar and able to advise on the best option please? Should I ask local bike shop to source a 3rd party product or stick with Cube? None of my local bike shops are authorised dealers as far as I know.

Thank you!

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
When you have riser bars, you can rotate them in the stem to bring the grips closer or further away.
Ah, yes, of course!

I think that the friend I am sorting an ebike out for really needs swept-back riser bars. Her bike is my old one which was too small for me, but feels slightly too big to her. She has currently has a short very upright stem on it with almost straight flat bars and she is having to stretch more than she wants to.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Did you mean LIKELY?

I assume that the aim is to get the bars further away.
No Colin, I did mean unlikely without capslock.

Raising the height of the bars will mean the rider sits more upright and the arms will be less outstretched. The original stem will therefore effectively be further away than if mounted lower. Geometry innit.

@MaryPoppins , out of interest does your bike have a Quill Stem or an Aheadset type? If the latter then these are a good option >>> https://smile.amazon.co.uk/UPANBIKE-Bicycle-Handlebar-Raiser-Extender/dp/B01FU7LL50

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
Raising the height of the bars will mean the rider sits more upright and the arms will be less outstretched. The original stem will therefore effectively be further away than if mounted lower. Geometry innit.
Head tubes lean back towards the rider so as a stem is raised, the handlebars get closer. Yes, that lets the rider sit more upright. The thing is, MaryPoppins seems to want to stretch out more? (I definitely would!)

MaryPoppins is tall (6' 6"). Even a 62 cm frame would possibly be on the small side 58 cm is very small for somebody of that height - that is my size and I am only 6' 1" tall. I had to use a 14 cm stem to get my bike to feel comfortable.

I could see the answer being a much longer stem (possibly with a different angle) and maybe riser bars rotated forwards somewhat?

Different people have different needs though. I need to lean forwards and stretch out, other people prefer to sit much more upright.

I would be tempted to take the bike to a decent bike shop and get them to sort the position out.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@MaryPoppins - firstly, there is no need to stick with Cube for what ever accessories you may use to alter your riding position (unless there's some peculier clause in your warranty conditions?).

Bear in mind the principles of the 3 point of contact you have with the bike - your hands, butt and feet. If you change the positioning of one then it has an impact on the other two.

I don't know what sort of riding distances you do (e.g. 1000 mile tours or 5 mile shopping trips) but if only short journeys then you can afford to experiment with different combinations of risers/settings to find what works for you. If you were about to set out on a major ride/tour, then going to a bike shop that offers a 'bike fitting' service would be a wise thing to do.

A more simple approach might be to measure up the various dimensions on a bike that you know you are comfortable on, and look to replicate that on your new bike - it would at least be a starting point.

MaryPoppins

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 31, 2020
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I am going to take it to the local bike shop for them to 'fit me out' properly on it. I didn't know if I could do a DIY job on it first though but in light of all your advice, I don't think I have the knowledge or practical skills sadly! Before I purchased the bike, I was told by a Cube authorised dealer in Bristol that 58cm would do the job for me so feel pretty hacked off I have invested in the wrong-sized bike now.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, a few people on here have suggested raised handlebars made by company on-one rather than fitting a stem extender.

Could the shop you bought it from help maybe exchange it for a larger size as it you bought what they recommended but its a size too small?

Hope you get everything the way it suits you.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Hi @MaryPoppins - That's a good decision to go the 'bike fit' route and I am confident that you'll end up with a comfortable riding position on the 58cm frame.

Out of curiosity:
1. who told you/how do you know that you should have gone for a 62cm frame?
2. when the Cube dealer suggested that 58cm was OK, what did he base that decision on (hopefully not because that is what he had in stock - but a possibility :confused:) - did he measure you up or chast cast an eye over your build/height?

As a bye-the-bye, my ideal frame size is 59cm but I've had 60cm, 58cm, 56cm frames and the tandem is 55cm, but all have been made comfortable to ride by careful selection of seat post heights, saddle position, handlebar shapes and stem lengths and stem projections.

Do let us know how you got on and what ultimately were the adjustments you settled on.

Reactions: Swizz