Handlebar height

wolfmandave15

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
I've got 2 ebikes both 26 inch wheels and I get a lot of pain in my wrists I seem to be leaning down a lot so putting a lot of weight on my wrists I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 100 k ,is their a guide/rule regarding comfortable handlebar heights.
Dave

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
There's no rule, you just have the bars higher or lower to whatever you're comfortable with. Although you're more aerodynamic if the bars are lower.
I always have the bars no lower than level with the seat and my hybrid Ebike bars are slightly higher than the seat.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes there are rules, it is a science called ergonomics. You can find some good guides on line for setting up your bike correctly. If it is the right size for you - mine is too small, it was free so I can't complain...

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
That`s the problem i came across when building my ebike, the mtb straight bars were awful, weight was all on the elbow and shoulder joints.
I changed them for one of the `north road` comfort bars, more upright stance, you can see they're a fair bit higher than the seat
<- see my avatar.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have seen many Belgians riding with their bars at how do you say this?
Nipple height.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Wolfman,

If you MTB has an Ahead handlebar stem and you are happy with the shape of your bars but not the height, you could try a stem riser as shown below.

20150506_112748 copy.jpg

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
As the previous posts prove, there are no rules...... higher or lower your bars, or get a stem riser, or change the bars altogether, or do what i've done and fit bar ends to give a different angle for your wrists.
No one else can tell you what will be comfortable for you, only you will know that.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The previous posts prove that people are different shapes thus requiring different settings adapted to THEIR morphology and it is called:

"Ergonomics (or human factors) is the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of interactions among humans and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data and methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance."

If you break the rules you will hurt yourself. There are three major variants for bar height depending on riding style: upright, sporty and racing. The latter two put more weight on the arms because the torso is inclined forward and the arms support that weight.

Simples...

wolfmandave15

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for all the replies. It was probably a daft question I know but sometimes better to ask than to struggle, great idea about the stem riser yamdude I wasn't aware of their existence for bicycles cheers.
Dave

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Thanks for all the replies. It was probably a daft question I know but sometimes better to ask than to struggle, great idea about the stem riser yamdude I wasn't aware of their existence for bicycles cheers.
Dave
Umm..... It was Cyclezee that suggested the stem riser first, but its worth a try if you cant get your bars high enough.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I generally set my mtb bar around 20mm lower than saddle height. Suits my style of riding.
Higher bars are more suited to commuting and pottering.
Problem with higher bars is that more body weight is transferred to ones ass. This in itself can produce even more discomfort than weight on the wrists.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Stem risers only ok if enough play in brake cables , etc.