Handlebar mounted mirror

Essgeebee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2020
My wife isn't happy with the handlebar-mounted mirror I got for her new Cube bike. She said it doesn't reach out far enough so all she sees is herself. I was tempted to reply with something chauvinist at that point about that being the norm... but I daren't!
To avoid taking to the end of the handlebar cover with a knife and fitting a bar-end mirror, are there any decent handlebar mounted mirrors out there that are long enough to give good vision and fold back to get through narrow spaces?

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Depending on the fittings, you may be able to mount it upside down, so it is below the hand grip.
I had the same problem at first, all I could see was my right side and elbow, mounting it as I described above sorted it, gives a perfect view of what's behind now.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
I’ve just fitted a bar end mirror on the wife’s oxygen s cross st only £6 easy two min job to cut small tiny end in grips and you can’t see once it’s pushed in

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Done much the same as already noted, and also I added a mirror to my helmet as well. Takes a bit of getting used to but provides the best look behind of all mirrors.
Andy

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Bought bar end mirror after someone I know had a bad accident which may have been avoided if he had had a better rear view. I was unsure whether it would work, and sadly I have concluded that it's effectively useless. Unlike a car mirrow which is big and doesn't require much head movement, the bar end type is neither of these. By the time you have glanced down to look at the mirror, you may as well just twist your head a little further to look behind. The small size of The mirror requires very slight adjustments to get it anywhere near the correct position. Whilst trying to set it whilst riding you are not looking at the road ahead so run the risk of riding into a pothole as i almost did. Hardly a safety asset in my view!

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I doubt that mirror would show anything other than your arm.
I have a similar one and its useless.
Exactly! it doesnt even extend beyond the body to give an intererupted rear view! Excellent for viewing your sleeve though!

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland

Essgeebee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2020
Thanks everyone for advice and suggestions. I’ve decided a bar end mirror is the way to go, probably the mirrycle. Was wary of cutting into brand new grips but not confident any bar top mirror would give a decent view.