Help! Handlebar throttle partial power only

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Those voilamart controllers are pretty much rubbish hence the cheapness of the kits, it is why so many buy them who aren't knowledgeable about the control systems.
The controllers are speed control so you get max current at low speed all the time and then it only decreases as you near the cut out speed. You can't gently waft along as the hard shove in the back is always there, whereas the KT is the opposite in PAS 1 & 2 you get a gentle push along and if you want the extra oomph one simply uses the thumb throttle or selects a higher PAS.
Yes well I bought the bike with the voilamart on. My first e bike. No experience or knowledge. you may remember I bought a second Giant Suede with standard wheel and with normal and eco mode to use while I was fixing the voilamart motor after wheel dropped out. Annoyingly I sold it instead of selling the voilamart one. Regret that. The eco mode really suited me much better and im sure I would have got much more range from it. Bad decision.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the eco mode or low PAS mode of current control controllers are for most all that is needed, these modes do allow for some effort and fitness level . Whereas the all and be all high power modes do not such thing unless you are as mad as SW and have a very high/fast cadence of 120rpm.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Now I'm getting random no response from pas until I switch off and on or sometimes works if I flick the throttle . Difficult to pinpoint that one . If you remember this throttle / on off switch changed from full throttle to slow start up speed after wheel drop out and motor repair. But new throttle didn't solve it so suspect the control box. Just something I'll put up with till I'm not biking in winter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Double check the PAS fitting, though it shouldn't affect use check magnet faces are clean ( the field should still pass through muck/grime). Check the signal gapping is still about 1mm and that the magnet disc is firmly fixed on the axle, the latter two are really the only two major affects concerning signal pick up.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can check PAS operation with a few simple voltage readings.
As usual one should see about 5v between the 5v/ Gnd and anything from abut 1v - 4.3v or so between Gnd /Sig as the magnets pas the sensor. If you get an abnormally low reading between Gnd /Sig of well under 0.5v then suspect a faulty hall.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Double check the PAS fitting, though it shouldn't affect use check magnet faces are clean ( the field should still pass through muck/grime). Check the signal gapping is still about 1mm and that the magnet disc is firmly fixed on the axle, the latter two are really the only two major affects concerning signal pick up.
Thanks . Yeh I removed it when looking at bottom bracket I'll recheck

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
2 potential issues. Pedal sensor is attached to mounting bracket by 2 lugs and 1 screw . The screw was loose but doesn't tighten properly looking fur another screw .
Secondly the magnet disc is about 3 mm from sensor. Unfortunately don't know if that's how it was before I removed cranks to fix pedal wobble. So I'll be removing pedal crank and seeing what's going on behind

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try and get the gap down to 1mm, 3mm is too much and the magnet field may not be strong enough for the sensor to consistently register hence the intermittent working.
The off set sensor bracket can be turned so it pushes the sensor nearer the disc, sometimes one has to drill a new fixing hole in it for the sensor. Also the bracket can be bent over a bit with pliers so the sensor is nearer the magnets for pick up, only 2mm is needed so one way or the other one should be able to manage it.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Try and get the gap down to 1mm, 3mm is too much and the magnet field may not be strong enough for the sensor to consistently register hence the intermittent working.
The off set sensor bracket can be turned so it pushes the sensor nearer the disc, sometimes one has to drill a new fixing hole in it for the sensor. Also the bracket can be bent over a bit with pliers so the sensor is nearer the magnets for pick up, only 2mm is needed so one way or the other one should be able to manage it.
Thanks yeh . Was thinking about that . I've tried it out back together again still at 3 mm and just the occasional splutter not as often as before . So I'll do as you suggest .

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Narrowed the gap down but still there . To be honest it must have been 3 mm before cos there's only one to fit it and the bracket wasn't bent or anything . But I'm still thinking controller and there's a clue now . If it cuts out but I continue to pedal , it never kicks in again until I stop pedalling and start again . That makes me feel that a signals always happening while I pedal and maybe it needs signal to stop when I freewheel to reset

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Narrowed the gap down but still there . To be honest it must have been 3 mm before cos there's only one to fit it and the bracket wasn't bent or anything . But I'm still thinking controller and there's a clue now . If it cuts out but I continue to pedal , it never kicks in again until I stop pedalling and start again . That makes me feel that a signals always happening while I pedal and maybe it needs signal to stop when I freewheel to reset
I had a controller like that once. It had some weird behaviour that always followed the same pattern. i can't remember what logic it followed, but once I recognised that the behaviour was consistent, i was able to figure out the pattern. it was solved with a setting in the LCD somewhere for different throttle modes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The pickup/ signal may be down to the crappy programming, my KT's are verrrrry good . Signal/pickup is excellent as is PAS reaction of abut 1/8th rotation.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I had a controller like that once. It had some weird behaviour that always followed the same pattern. i can't remember what logic it followed, but once I recognised that the behaviour was consistent, i was able to figure out the pattern. it was solved with a setting in the LCD somewhere for different throttle modes.
I can live with it . I'm pedalling short bursts and freewheeling 50-50 anyway so apart from the odd slight incline (I don't do many of those ) where it catches me out a bit

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The pickup/ signal may be down to the crappy programming, my KT's are verrrrry good . Signal/pickup is excellent as is PAS reaction of abut 1/8th rotation.
Only thing is it didn't have a problem before wheel drop out so something def happened partic as you know my throttle stopped working at full belt. And a replacement throttle didn't solve it so controller fir me