hanging up my battery for a while

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've just found out that I'll soon have a 100 mile a day commute for a few months so the ebike won't be practical anymore. I don't know what I'll be doing after that so I'm not sure whether to keep the 906 or not, I may need it again but it's worth a lot more with 18 months of warranty left.
I'll certainly sell the winter tyres as they will benefit someone this winter, I'm not quite finished with them yet though.
Time to start a diet or I'll put on loads of weight sat in my car. :(

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Seems a shame Mussels,:( was the commute the main reason you had the bike? What about leisure riding?

Marky T

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Even if I set off a bit earlier and had time for a 3 hour each way commute I can't ride through the Dartford tunnel, I have to wait for a minibus each time.
As for leasure riding I just don't have the time, that's why it was such a good arrangement that I could cycle instead of sitting on a train.
I thought about parking up a little distance from work and riding the rest of the way in, but I may as well park slightly closer and ride a normal bike that would be much easier to take in the car. In reality I can't see that happening as it will be over an hour each way to drive.
It's likely I'll go back to working in London and I should be able to go back to riding in, but it's also quite possible I'll never go back (I don't really want to) and by the time I realise several hundred punds of value would have gone from my ebike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey what will Wisper do without their intrepid test rider:confused:

As probably one of the only come hail or sunshine commuters on here your long term tests and observations will be sorely missed.....

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
That's a shame to hear you have to hang up the battery Mussels. I've tried to ensure that my work is always within cycling distance but we don't all have that luxury.

As an all weather Whisper rider I would happily volunteer to test bikes in some pretty abrasive conditions :D

Best of luck and I hope you continue posting.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Even if I set off a bit earlier and had time for a 3 hour each way commute I can't ride through the Dartford tunnel, I have to wait for a minibus each time.
As for leasure riding I just don't have the time, that's why it was such a good arrangement that I could cycle instead of sitting on a train.
I thought about parking up a little distance from work and riding the rest of the way in, but I may as well park slightly closer and ride a normal bike that would be much easier to take in the car. In reality I can't see that happening as it will be over an hour each way to drive.
It's likely I'll go back to working in London and I should be able to go back to riding in, but it's also quite possible I'll never go back (I don't really want to) and by the time I realise several hundred punds of value would have gone from my ebike.
If you don`t have any free time for hobbies or past times then you are doing something wrong. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not having a dig but I spent a large part of my life working all the hours and am at present trying to convince my son to slow down with running his business before it`s too late. You only get the one life.

Dave

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I`m not having a dig but I spent a large part of my life working all the hours and am at present trying to convince my son to slow down with running his business before it`s too late. You only get the one life.

Dave
Couldn't agree more. About 5 years ago I was a self-employed courier. I was earning well over twice as much as I do now, but I was working 6.00am-6.00pm, and I was flat out all day, every day. We put off having kids 'cos I just wouldn't have had the free time!
I took my LGV test and now I'm doing a job I love. 7.30am-5.00pm, have all my weekends free, and I've never been happier.
I've got a Brother who works in banking (computer programmer) and he hates it because of all the stress. It's just not worth it.
Have you considered a different career?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If you don`t have any free time for hobbies or past times then you are doing something wrong. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not having a dig but I spent a large part of my life working all the hours and am at present trying to convince my son to slow down with running his business before it`s too late. You only get the one life.

Dave
I'm careful not to let work take over, I cut out all the weekend work about a year ago. I've got two kids in primary school so they take much of my time up at the moment, I aim to get them riding this summer and will take them places on their bikes but I don't need a pedelec for that.
Hopefully when this job finishes I'll be working somewhere I can ride to work but I'm doing a consultancy type job which means I'll be moving about a lot. If it wasn't for the bike losing a lot of value sat in the shed then I'd keep it, I may still do for a while to see how this project develops.
I've also had to mothball my Jeep for this project as it would cost too much to drive that far, even after the 40p per mile allowance. A few months on stands will at least give me time to replace the bushes that I've already knackered playing with it in the mud. So the luxury motor is out and I'm back to my Kia estate car.
This all seems like a lot of aggro for a six month job but it's worth it. I'm moving away from banks and into law which opens up the places I can live and work. :)

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
hi mussells, you are obviously a young guy at the top of his game. enjoy your time 'in the sun'. i had 35 years of a 7 day a week career travelling the world, bringing up a family and enjoying every minute.
i now have a much more leisurely work life balance , and bikes have re-entered the picture after a long absence.

i dont miss the travel and pressure, the kids have left home and downsizing ones property becomes inevitable.......but now have much more time to 'do my own thing' .

the wheel turns around and i am sure you will be back on your bike in the future.

yes sell the bike........you will want a new one when the time comes again....

good luck with the new contract

regards

ps if this winter goes on much longer will be getting a jeep myself....the saab is not enjoying the snow.....

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Blimey what will Wisper do without their intrepid test rider:confused:

As probably one of the only come hail or sunshine commuters on here your long term tests and observations will be sorely missed.....
I don't know Eddie!! :eek:

Thanks for the offer z0mb13e, we will be in touch!

Congratulations on your new appointment Andrew, and good luck with your daily Thames crossing! I used to do it many years ago when there was only one tunnel with trafic in both directions! You will have a lot of time even now to do something useful during the hours you will no doubt spend queuing, such as learning a new language or the finer points of quantum physics!!

I assume you have a Dart Tag? The savings are massive.

Thanks for all your help over the last couple of years we have seriously appreciated your comments both good and "constructive"!

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Congratulations on your new appointment Andrew, and good luck with your daily Thames crossing! I used to do it many years ago when there was only one tunnel with trafic in both directions! You will have a lot of time even now to do something useful during the hours you will no doubt spend queuing, such as learning a new language or the finer points of quantum physics!!

I assume you have a Dart Tag? The savings are massive.

Thanks for all your help over the last couple of years we have seriously appreciated your comments both good and "constructive"!

All the best

David
Thanks David
I get a residents discount so I save 90% with a DartTag, that one is a definate.
I was wondering what to do with the time, spoken languages aren't really my thing so I'll have a look and see what other audio courses are available. Car mechanics may be a good choice. :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I like listening to audio books when on long drives abroad in the motorhome :)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I like listening to audio books when on long drives abroad in the motorhome :)
I also like listening to audio books during the day or when on the bike or when I turn in at night. I`m at present listening through the Lee Childs Jack Reacher books in MP3 format.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I also like listening to audio books during the day or when on the bike or when I turn in at night. I`m at present listening through the Lee Childs Jack Reacher books in MP3 format.
Have read all of them, Reacher is a great character:p One of the Jonathan Kellerman (alex Delaware novels) is my latest on audio.....

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
About face time, it looks like I'll be based in London with occasional meetings in Colchester.
I'm quite glad as at the weekend I met a cabbie in Southend who reckoned I'd have a two hour journey during rush hour to Colchester.

Anyway the pedelec is staying. :)

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Good news. Sorry to hijack, but i also listen to audio books while riding my bike. I find it very relaxing, i subscribe to two audio books a month from Audible.

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
About face time, it looks like I'll be based in London with occasional meetings in Colchester.
I'm quite glad as at the weekend I met a cabbie in Southend who reckoned I'd have a two hour journey during rush hour to Colchester.

Anyway the pedelec is staying. :)
Just when i was about to offer £40 for the wisper ;)