Hard won easy lost

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Hard won easy lost.

Why the Government allowed a bike with a motor on to escape the Road Traffic Act.

Answer:

Government had decided that Cycling was a healthy pursuit with knock-on benefits to the Health Service and so were keen to promote it. They would support the opening up for cycling purposes disused railway lines, canal footpaths, bridleways and anywhere else that cycling could take place. They would get Councils to mark out Cycle Lanes on roadsides and do anything they could to promote cycling for Social and Domestic pleasure but there was a problem when it came to luring the great British Public to take up cycling and that was ‘hills’. They decided that the only way to lure people into returning to cycling or indeed to take it up would be to allow some form of auxiliary power system to be added to the bike but this act in itself paused a big problem and that would be how to isolate such a machine from the demands of the Road Traffic Act which covered motor powered vehicles on Public Roads.

There had to be a get around.

The answer was in the way a bicycle or tricycle was defined. The definition had to be in such a way that a play on the words of that definition for a bicycle would isolate a powered version a ‘Pedelec’ from having to adhere to the requirements of the Road Traffic Act. This is how I would do it. I would define a Bicycle as being a relatively low powered two wheeled Personal Transport machine. (Three wheels for a Tricycle) Discreet in build and relatively silent in operation. Forward movement being as a result of the turning of the Crank Arms and Pedals. And that is it. No mention has to be made of a rider because a rider is not necessary in defining what is or is not a bike.

It can be argued that a rider less bike can go nowhere and that to be a bike in the true sense it must have a rider. If that is so then a ‘Pedelec’ cycle which also relies on a rider for its operation must also be a bike and is therefore eliminated from having to conform with Road Traffic Act regulations. Other vehicles which may look superficially like a
‘Pedlec’ but can operate without the need for a rider to turn the Crank Arms and Pedals cannot be classified as being a Bicycle under the above definition which would be the one that the Law would use in Court. They would be defined as being hybrid Motor Vehicles and as such would have to adhere to the conditions of the terms of the Act.

Please read Pedelecs - Home Page – Legal- Dft Factsheet.

So tread carefully my friends. Throttles for now are out but I believe they won’t always be for I can foresee a time when revenue from current motor vehicles is not up to the level that government requires and then some other form of revenue stream will have to be implemented. At that time I can see Government promoting ebikes for other that Social and Domestic pleasure and allowing unregistered quite powerful ebikes with throttles to use the road network. Indeed they might even give you one which would be registered to you for a small fee. Micro Transmitters in the bike would trigger sensors at the roadside and once or twice a year you would get a bill for mileage while riding it.

That’s all I have to say apart from Happy New Year and happy riding

Yours sincerely

Linfitter.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Have you read the lengthy discourse here on this? We recently discussed the illegality of pretty much every ebike being used in the UK today at great length over the past few weeks.

The general consensus is that, under current legislation, there are probably very few, if any, legal electric bikes in the UK. Certainly none of those being sold as "250W pedelecs" are, strictly speaking, legal, as they all contravene the law. Throttles are perfectly legal, as long as the bike meets the provisions of UK law, i.e. complies with Statutory Instruments 1168 and 1176. Pedelecs, even if limited to 200W to notionally comply with UK law, are, rather curiously, specifically illegal unless they also have a throttle override, as the law requires a spring loaded manually operated switch to allow power assistance, that must turn off when released (in other words, a throttle).

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Hi Jeremy

Yes I have read your Posts. I would have posted earlier but seem to have had difficulty in Posting. I am a bit late in some respects. My intention here was just to highlight what is or is not a bike by definition.

Yours Sincerely

Linfitter.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Linfitter

Its all a load of cobblers anyway. My motorcycle, driven by a 130BHP engine and not a pedal in sight. This is taxed as a bicycle. Clearly says so on the disk.

Any machine that encourages people, including myself to get away from fossil burning vehicles, clear the roads and get some exercise should not be taxed.

Call it something other than a bicycle if you like but makes no difference to me.
Just a convenient mode of transport that suits my needs.
Oh and by the way, haven't used the motorbike in two years.

When I start getting taxed for taking the green option, I'll move country.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Linfitter a very interesting theory, but I think you are giving the Government or the powers that be far too much credit . Most of your points wouldn`t have entered their thought processes . If they are losing road fund revenue they could make a good start on getting those cars currently paying nothing , to pay something, before starting on Ebikes . I have three powered machines , the 250`s are currently £36 to tax and my Moped is £16 . It bugs me to see some models of car running around tax exempt . This is especially annoying when tests have shown that the emissions on lots of these cars is way higher than the Band that they have been put in for the tax purposes . In other words the Manufacturers have got up to some dodges on their test cycles on rolling roads which cannot be replicated on real roads .

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012