Hard9 or Hard7

DKF

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2015
Has anyone had experience of riding the two differnt sizes.
I was just wonderering which type of riding each one was best suited for.

For instance, My riding is mostly off road, if I can manage it, not hard core but park, green lane, simple trail and disused rail tracks etc.

I've read the reviews of the yamaha crank drive. They sound ok.

DKF

Jul 21, 2015
Both do a similar job. If very tall I would recommend the HardNine.
If not on the tall side then look at the HardSeven you'll find it easier to chuck around off road.

HardNine is better if you are doing 50/50 road and off road.

Why not visit a professional and sit on both?
Thanks Martin,
Yes, I was planning on doing that at some point. I'm really taken by the Hiabike range of bikes. . . David

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Beside the difference in price, riding a hard 9 and a hard 7 (of same frame size) is not that different. Both have the same great 400w yamaha drive system but the hard 9 is slightly taller because of the 29" wheels as opposed to the hard 7's 27.5" wheels.

However there are differences that will tell in the long run. It is all in the spec hence the difference in price. The hard 7 is a great deal for the money but if you look closely to the better spec on the 9, it is worth the extra dosh. The 9 has better brakes, wheels, gear set (20spd as opposed to the 7's 9spd) and the fork is £100 more expensive off the shelf than the 7's suntour.

Both are great bikes for the their respective prices. And as Martin said a test ride is worth a thousand words. Good luck, you will not regret either bike.

Reactions: DKF

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Hi dkf. I have had my Sduro hardseven since Xmas just gone and all I can say is you will love it. I didn't bother with the nine as mine is more of a commuter to work and the occasional off roader at the weekends and I didn't want to spend the extra on the nine. I don't think you'll find much difference in the ride between them both. I have done a fair few miles on mine now as I cycle to work 6 days a week and touch wood it hasn't let me down yet apart from the usual inevitable punctures. I rode the Bosch and Yamaha system before I made my decision and I instantly loved the feel of the Yamaha. Nothing wrong with the Bosch but the Sduro felt better for my needs as the power is virtually instant. It's also very easy to ride without the battery as I recently found out on a family holiday with my 8 yr old son.

Bigdaddyuk666

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2015
Leicestershire
Beside the difference in price, riding a hard 9 and a hard 7 (of same frame size) is not that different. Both have the same great 400w yamaha drive system but the hard 9 is slightly taller because of the 29" wheels as opposed to the hard 7's 27.5" wheels.

However there are differences that will tell in the long run. It is all in the spec hence the difference in price. The hard 7 is a great deal for the money but if you look closely to the better spec on the 9, it is worth the extra dosh. The 9 has better brakes, wheels, gear set (20spd as opposed to the 7's 9spd) and the fork is £100 more expensive off the shelf than the 7's suntour.

Both are great bikes for the their respective prices. And as Martin said a test ride is worth a thousand words. Good luck, you will not regret either bike.

I couldn't agree more for the extra bang for buck the hardnine is brilliant I mainly commute 12-14 miles a day had it 3 months just done 1200+ miles on it and love every minute of it .
I was called mad switching from hub motor to bbm without test riding but I knew what I wanted and a haibike was it I finally decided on the a hardnine for the forks and gears exactly as you pointed out and it was still within my budget as it works out cheaper than busfare weekly for me .
However like you I can only recommend the op speaking with a reputable ebike shop and getting stuck in to a test ride .
I hope you will be as happy as me with my decision .

Last edited:
Reactions: DKF and Emo Rider

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Also the 2016 models are coming out very soon and from what I have read on German sites the new model sduro's will now have 4 levels of assist instead of 3, the lcd display has a usb port and the motor is a lot quieter but I find that last one hard to believe as it is already quite and can hardly hear it sometimes when your on it. Haibike have also extended the range by adding quite a lot more models into the range so it might be worth holding off a few weeks until the new models are announced.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013

Here's a pic I got from the Internet on the new models coming out, we might not see all of them in this country though.

DKF

Jul 21, 2015
T
Also the 2016 models are coming out very soon and from what I have read on German sites the new model sduro's will now have 4 levels of assist instead of 3, the lcd display has a usb port and the motor is a lot quieter but I find that last one hard to believe as it is already quite and can hardly hear it sometimes when your on it. Haibike have also extended the range by adding quite a lot more models into the range so it might be worth holding off a few weeks until the new models are announced.[/
That's interesting to know Ray, thanks for the info.

skyloon

Nov 29, 2011
I hired a hard 9 at a local trail centre. It was brilliant and I did 44km offroad including both forestry roads and rough singletrack. When I gave it back it still had about 25% battery left, but I was worn out!

DKF

Jul 21, 2015
I hired a hard 9 at a local trail centre. It was brilliant and I did 44km offroad including both forestry roads and rough singletrack. When I gave it back it still had about 25% battery left, but I was worn out!
That's great. I'm surprised that you can hire bikes like the hard 9. Where is the trail centre please?