Has any one ever tried Sun EZ-1 from Sun Bicycles ?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Sun Bicycles - Product

I see a very good deal online for one of these 2 months ago , and just wondered what others here thought i.e. everything looks almsot prefect in terms of where the pedals are for me.

The only thing bothering ( with my knees / pelvis ) is going uphill with 39 lbs on such small wheels .

I guess thats where the electric kit would help , but Im just wondering if id manage if I might be able to manage any way i.e. given i could lean back as to counter the inclines as opposed to reg bike where all the weight pressure goes on the front .

The fact the seat can adjust too something else i.e. I could adjust for inclines so it was maybe further back .

Oh well, just thinking.

t

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Recumbents are noted for slow hill climbing, so you'd probably find it harder work than a normal upright bike in that respect, though faster elsewhere.

Making it an electric would be a problem though. A motor in that small front wheel would be both slow and inclined to slip under load when climbing due to the lack of weight on the front. That would be worst with wet or loose surfaces.

Putting the motor in the rear wheel would lose the cassette system, you'd have to use a multi-sprocket freewheel instead. They are very limited for choice and aren't readily available over 7 sprockets, also weaker than cassettes. A 7 with motor might not fit into the frame either, so you could find the 24 gears down to 18 with a six sprocket freewheel.

Last edited:

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Recumbents are noted for slow hill climbing, so you'd probably find it harder work than a normal upright bike in that respect, though faster elsewhere.

Making it an electric would be a problem though. A motor in that small front wheel would be both slow and inclined to slip under load when climbing due to the lack of weight on the front. That would be worst with wet or loose surfaces.

Putting the motor in the rear wheel would lose the cassette system, you'd have to use a multi-sprocket freewheel instead. They are very limited for choice and aren't readily available over 7 sprockets, also weaker than cassettes. A 7 with motor might not fit into the frame either, so you could find the 24 gears down to 18 with a six sprocket freewheel.
Its a pity, I see quite of lot recumbents with electric kits , and that is something I would defintely need realistically , if Im going to use any bike ( esp up a hill ) , so it looks like I'll have to give this a miss. :(

Would this generally be a problem with all long bases ?

I cuold get one of those semi's I posted a link to in my last thread for 900 , but I really liked the idea of the seat ( ala recumbent ) and also because they exercise other muscles groups that could help with my pelvis etc.

Looks like I may have to settle for this thing , unless they cant take kits too :(

http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion10.htm

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008

What about something like this then ?

eZeebike electric bicycle self install motor kit

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
I lashed (literally) a dual freewheel Cyclone motor between the main tubes of a roughly similar Peer Gynt recumbent without problems.

In my case, hill climbing requires more from the motor as I have little strength.
Depending on the gearing, the motor alone will pull up any normal hill but will of course use more power so a 15 or 20Ah battery might be required for normal range.

The link shows an EZ-1 with what looks like a Cyclone motor and figures for performance that seem reasonable.

Dave

E-4 Mid-Drive Motor for EZ1 bicycles Electric Motors EZ-1 for Recumbents bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The eZee motor is very powerful and would be very likely to give front wheel slip under power with a long base bike having little weight over the front wheel.

The Cyclone Orraman mentions is a good solution since it keeps the existing drive train intact and uses rear wheel traction. Driving through the gears means better hill climbing too.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I gave up on the idea as it just seemed to much weight i.e. if i need to cycle and therefore to much risk in place like this .

If only there was something like that but lighter .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I often wondered about this thing as alternative ,but they dont seem to be sold in the uk any more so im assuming they didnt really mount to much.

Electric bike,electric scooter, eGo NEW Electric power - eBay (item 170382075982 end time May-09-10 15:08:28 PDT)

I mean why bother paying for something like this , when i could get an e-bike that just goes as ar with the option of peddles ??
These are completely illegal in the UK unless registered, plated, insured and taxed as a moped, and used with a P group driving licence. In order to do that though, the importer has to put each model through Type Approval, which is an expensive process. This probably accounts for their absence from the UK.

The realistic options are either a proper moped, (petrol or the more powerful 4500 watt electric type), or an e-bike. Which you choose depends largely on whether you want to cycle or not.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Backwards Peddling Bikes ?

OK , its 4 am adn Im trying to think of ways I could cycle without risking my terribly joint instability ( hms ) amongst other things, whens it suddenly dawned on me, as daFt as it may sound ,that backwards pedling, would actually be legit way for me to do this , but are there any bikes , ways its possible to achieve this ?

thanks

tepol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A few hub motors have had quite long freewheel threads so could possibly accept the two freewheels necessary.

This is a perfectly viable way of providing two gears and it was invented at the start of the 20th century around 100 years ago. The main difficulty these days is sourcing two freewheels with sufficient difference in tooth numbers, standard freewheels being mainly available in 16, 18 and 20 teeth. Some motors have used the BMX smaller thread freewheels and these are usually available in 14, 16 and 18 teeth sizes.

Probably easier to use this double freewheel system with a normal single speed rear hub and a front hub motor though.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Day 6 Crank Forward Semi Recumbent Bikes - Bicycles Available at The Bicycle Man
A few hub motors have had quite long freewheel threads so could possibly accept the two freewheels necessary.

This is a perfectly viable way of providing two gears and it was invented at the start of the 20th century around 100 years ago. The main difficulty these days is sourcing two freewheels with sufficient difference in tooth numbers, standard freewheels being mainly available in 16, 18 and 20 teeth. Some motors have used the BMX smaller thread freewheels and these are usually available in 14, 16 and 18 teeth sizes.

Probably easier to use this double freewheel system with a normal single speed rear hub and a front hub motor though.
Well it looks like that ideas out , i wasnt the convinced with the examples I saw either i.e. the rider seemed to almost have to peddle forwards before he could cycle back .

For the time being then I decided to go back to my idea, of using one of those crank forwards i mentioned before the DAY 6 dreamer with a kit, which would take its overtall weight to 45 lbs if used the Bionx 36v , 46 with Ezee.

Unlike the Rans fusions they also have the option of the back rest on the seat which would be very useful too i.e. on hills.

Really, the larger wheels seems like it going to be essential unless I was cycling on pretty flat ground or had a really light LWB , like those lightnings perhaps.

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
How do your joints fair pulling the pedals?
I ride recumbent trikes and can climb a 15% slope almost as fast pulling on the pedals and not pushing at all, takes practice and clipless pedals or Power straps, but maybe another option?
I practice pulling to increase the power all the way around the pedal stroke.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
How do your joints fair pulling the pedals?
I ride recumbent trikes and can climb a 15% slope almost as fast pulling on the pedals and not pushing at all, takes practice and clipless pedals or Power straps, but maybe another option?
I practice pulling to increase the power all the way around the pedal stroke.
My joints are not good at all , so while i have good control of them its just gets a problem when i have exert more pressure on them i.e. because it causes them to slip then become unstable and weakne other areas like the groin , inner thigh.

I mean pulling in towards the core or up is fine , its when i have to pull down across or away that that the risk levels tend go up .

i wear supports - have to - on knees and ankles to help but of course the groin / stomach is another matter which is why having the seat might allow me to lean back more and offset the pressure into my back / spine .

I dont think pulling all the way round would be easy for me as my joints seem to do better when bent / tensed so i have more control over the power factor, but its hard to tell too given I yet to ride one ( semi / full recumbent )

tepol

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
These are completely illegal in the UK unless registered, plated, insured and taxed as a moped, and used with a P group driving licence. In order to do that though, the importer has to put each model through Type Approval, which is an expensive process. This probably accounts for their absence from the UK.

The realistic options are either a proper moped, (petrol or the more powerful 4500 watt electric type), or an e-bike. Which you choose depends largely on whether you want to cycle or not.
Id love to cycle its just very hard trying to get all the variables that effect my body right , I used to pretty active you see , ( aspiring athelete when i was in my teens ) so this lifestyle i have now , is not easy to take.

The elextric moped /scooter thing still looks very bleak over here in the uk i.e. comapnies like the ones i posted here making exgarrated claims like with distance so on.

As usual it seems Asian market are the ones making the advances there , and then being sold over to the US with little or no products surfacing here other than perhaps some imatations etc

The Vectrix seemed to be the only viable one , but last i heard that comapny went bust - maybe thanks to 6 / 7 grand price tag ( another reason why most e-scooters are joke )

I dont see what type person is going to spend that much even if does save on petrol , it would take a few yrs to recoup no doubt at that price , but most of the manufacturers here ( apart from that terrible plastic ego scooter company ) dont seem to get that .

I think the other thing is the engone i.e. motor enthusiasts ( the types that usually only going to spend that sort of money like hearing revs / noise as opposed to silence ) its ok with bikes but with cars , scooters etc it just doesnt really sounds right / fit into the mystique of motor driving .

t

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Vectrix is back in business I'm pleased to say, it was too good to die. Not only that but full support continues for all previously sold models, and the business handling them (Hesketh) is well backed.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
The Vectrix is back in business I'm pleased to say, it was too good to die. Not only that but full support continues for all previously sold models, and the business handling them (Hesketh) is well backed.
DO you know anything about this company ?

E-City Wheels - City 4.o | Electric Scooters - Electric Mopeds - Electric Motorcycles

I dont think Ive seen it before , but i noticed one of the companies i mentioned have red-done their site along with the spec of their bikes i.e.

Electric moped scooters elecscoot county durham north east lithium powerbyke

up to 100 miles on 4000w ... ( i think this was the one you mentioend as being a load of rubbish before )

i.e. more inclined to believe e-city than these guys claims , even if they did say they improved it i.e. its still only 4000w motor

I'd dont know about the Vectrix

Vectrix DE :: Products :: Vx-1

it doenst look much different than the last time , and prob with the same 6/ 7 grand price tag..

Vectrix DE :: Press: Vectrix News Items, Press Releases, Archives, Sort By Country::Vectrix.com

The vx2 sounds a lot more like it but im confused how this bike weight 419 lbs when the e-city guy was tellint me their 4 plus models was only 200 lbs !!

And yet could apparently go up to 80 miles with the same 30 mph limit.

Id be more inclined to trust Vectrix , but I dont see any mention of lithium batteries any where i.e. 429lbs bike even reduced is still a lot of weight / drag esp if these other places like e-city on the 1st link are claiming same milage with half the weight.

ZERO MOTORCYCLES – The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

This looks very promising too i.e. esp for round here and going off-road .

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know those 4kW scooters personally, but there are some kind things being said about the Elecscoot, German motor, British electronics combined with Chinese frame etc. They at least have the power to make sense, but at £4595. I don't think it was this one I called rubbish as a scooter, but I may well have questioned the range claims which are invariably greatly exaggerated.

That light weight on the e-city will be with the lithium option batteries, the silicone ones they mention are in fact just a type of lead acid battery and very heavy.

The Vectrix is a big scooter and a very different thing altogether. £6798.