Has anybody installed a Tracker on the cheap?

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Just wondering if somebody has bought an eg £10 tracker off Amazon and put a £1 Lebara Sim in it or similar.

So far since 2009 I've been lucky not to have a bike stolen because of where I leave it and the lock I have on it BUT it would be nice to have a cheap tracker installed.
At one point you could buy a Vodafone Curve for £20 and there Sim cost £2 a month but that's a thing of the past now.

Anybody come up with another cheap solution?

(yes I know if you pay peanuts you get monkeys).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I bought this, when it was cheap at about £25. Costs £20 a year on Giffgaff, because I only allow it to communicate via texts:

...it does have an app, which is more expensive to use, because that requires a data connection. Until 3G is sacrified for higher Gs, this does the job ok: Any time I want it's GPS position, I send it a text and it texts back co-ordinates and a Google Maps link. It will also automatically send it's location details when it experiences a shock (when shock detection is enabled) for when say a thief is mucking about with the bike, or upon detection of a user-assignable traveling speed (such as when the bike is being carried off in a vehicle). However, GPS isn't terribly accurate, and I'm doubtful the Police would actually knock on doors of a row of houses making enquiries to get my bike back, or take any action if I identified the thief for them. But of course I'd try.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can you link to the type of Sim I would need that costs £20 a year please?
You can order one here:

It's cheap for me, because I only allow the GPS tracker light to communicate by SMS. I pay by Paypal and it's set to pay automatically when each £10 credit runs out. Connection to the internet for app use costs at least £6 a month:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
virgin put my bill up 10 fkn quid today never had a letter or nothing :mad:

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
virgin put my bill up 10 fkn quid today never had a letter or nothing :mad:
If I didn't need the odd spot of large high-speed download/uploading, I'd replace my fibre broadband for a SIM router, chuck in a GiffGaff SIM for £20 a month.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
You can order one here:

It's cheap for me, because I only allow the GPS tracker light to communicate by SMS. I pay by Paypal and it's set to pay automatically when each £10 credit runs out. Connection to the internet for app use costs at least £6 a month:

I'm sorry, I've been all over those pages.
Which is the one I only pay £20 for that will last me all year on text only?
Is it that £10 Golden Sim?
That looks like a monthly contract!!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm sorry, I've been all over those pages.
Which is the one I only pay £20 for that will last me all year on text only?
Is it that £10 Golden Sim?
That looks like a monthly contract!!
Just click the "No thanks, I just want a free SIM" button:

Many shops and petrol stations stock GiffGaff SIMs. I simply top up on a pay as you go basis. Once you've received your SIM, simply register, then top up with a £10 Paypal payment (or directly by card, I prefer Paypal), set Payments to auto-pay, and payments will be processed automatically via Paypal whenever your £10 runs out. If your tracker light doesn't send or receive texts for 180 days, the phone number will deactivate, and so will your credit. Therefore because my GPS tracker light regularly gets used, sends and receives texts, it only costs me £10 a year. Auto-top up can be deactivated any time. It's much easier with Paypal to deactivate payments, which is why I prefer paying via Paypal.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That makes sense now, I didn't know PAYG still existed where £10 could last all year.
It can if you make or receive calls or texts: The networks vary for how long they allow numbers to remain dormant - whether it's calls plus texts which are required to keep thenumber active, or simply texts - after which phone numbers are deactivated and recycled. For GiffGaff it's 180 days.

When you top up with £10, by cash card or Paypal, you get these prices for calls and texts, unless you select a monthly package:

If you don't want to continue with GiffGaff on a rolling basis, or a monthly package, disable "Auto-top up".

At the time I got my GPS tracker light, the SIMs GiffGaff were sending out were compatible. If not, you can ask GiffGaff to send you a basic GSM SIM, or use another PAYG network. Giffgaff is really O2 in disguise.

When they eventually turn GSM off, my GPS tracker light will just be a light.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I gave up with giffgaff because as a low user & I didn't use the phone for 6 months and they cancelled my easy memorable number and account.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I gave up with giffgaff because as a low user & I didn't use the phone for 6 months and they cancelled my easy memorable number and account.
Yep, that's hidden away in their Tcs and Cs... and like a lot of sales websites, they use "Dark Patterns", to make cheap offerings harder to find.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Interesting conversation!

What I'd like to know is how in practice a GPS tracker will actually help?

As mentioned above, if It's not accurate to within cpl/few metres then you're lost. If you're relying on text messages meanwhile villain on bike, you'll only likely get near when he gets home.

So this is a genuine question, apart from the odd YT video I've seen how many victims get the bike back when they identified it's location?

The fact that the cops won't really give a f**k anyway even if it was under their noses they'd probably be too lazy to do anything about it....paperwork...innit...

Better to invest in 'loud as f**k' motion sensor and heavy duty d-lock, (faggetaboutit +)? And always remove battery?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As mentioned above, if It's not accurate to within cpl/few metres then you're lost. If you're relying on text messages meanwhile villain on bike, you'll only likely get near when he gets home.
Civillian GPS is limited in accuracy to within about 5m, depending on the receiver. The phased array GPS receiver on my very old Dell Axim is pretty accurate, and works brilliantly even in dense jungle. "Shock detect" will continue to be triggered to send texts while the stolen bike is in transit/a Transit van until it stops being moved around, unless you send a text to switch shock detection off to save power or money... or to bide your time till the trap is set.

Better to invest in 'loud as f**k' motion sensor
Because my mid-drive converted bike folds, I take it with me everywhere; hardly ever leave it locked... but on the rare occasion that I do, I switch "Shock detection" on and it works pretty well - tracker light sends me a text which is received within about 6 seconds after the bikes is jostled. Once shock detection has been switched on, the bike has to be left immobile for about 5 minutes, after which any movement will trigger a sent text.

The fact that the cops won't really give a f**k anyway even if it was under their noses they'd probably be too lazy to do anything about it....paperwork...innit...
I'll break in to get my bike back like Charles Bronson in Bikewish II.

Last edited: