Has anyone come across 'add-e'?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Add-E is a very interesting development. Not much real user feedback, just information released by the company. In time, it will surely develop.
At the moment, I can see that the company has not answered some of the questions raised in various forums: safety of the proposed Hobby King Lipo battery pack, exposed motor winding, how much torque can be realistically expected, test results with various tyres, can an external speed sensor be added for compliance?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
There was a thread on these a couple of weeks ago. You might turn it up with a search. Generally thought of as being a bit of a waste of time as you won’t get much power from it, and it will slip in the rain, and also possibly wreck the tyre. A proper kit is not a lot more and will do a proper job. Particularly if you want to ride up steep hills.

Not all motors give the same power, and some run faster for speed on the flat but with less torque for hills. So a little research and thought as to the use you want from it is preferable.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have ridden many, possibly thousands, of kilometers on the original Vélosolex which uses the rub against the tyre system.

Vélosolex tyres were designed with a thick smooth rolling band.

Bike tyres are not designed for this use, most do not have thick smooth rolling surfaces - you will EAT through tyres at an alarming rate. Any tyre that does not have a treadless rolling surface will be chewed up in days if not hours.

Smooth thick rolling surfaces are great for motors but not so good for going around corners in the rain...

On a push bike I would also worry about pressure on bearings and dropouts. The Vélosolex motor pushed down in the same direction as the front dropout and wheel could pop out on bumpy roads (quaint French cobblestones) if the axle wasn't tight enough. Not much fun.

Slippage = loss of efficiency. On the Vélosolex you had to pedal like mad to get up even the slightest of hills. In the rain? Riding technique was one hand on the handlebars and the other pulling as hard as you could on the motor engagement handle. Use your imagination what that often lead too...

IMVHO not a good idea.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I also had a 1966 Velosolex until I bought my first 2CV.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Ahhh! Mine was a modern 1972 3800, Ferrari yellow... Then I bought a Lancia Fulvia 1.3S

SunGold

Just Joined
Oct 22, 2015
I got a FlyKly Smartwheel and it's a terrible disappointment. I test rode the bike in Milan, and it was great. However, I've only had about 6-8 rides on it and it doesn't kick in, although for the first 3-4 rides it worked okay.

Avoid the FlyKly. If you want deets, I'll provide them. Don't want to rant on...