Has anyone successfully used the 6 year rule for a failed Bosch motor?

Stoner27

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2021
There are many riders posting online that they have had Bosch motor failures at very low mileages, mainly Gen4, mine at only 800 miles!

Some had sensors knocked out by simple crank strikes, leaning the bike against a lamp post or water ingress.

Bosch do not release any motor or battery spares including sensors! New motor circa £700.

The "Right to Repair" release of spares does not cover E-bikes.

I believe these rediculous issues are due to design faults.

Has anyone successfully used the 6 year rule for a failed Bosch motor and got a replacement FOC or reimbursed when out of warranty?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
800 miles, how long have you had it ?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Probably where you bought the bike is the first place to chat to. Mine replaced my Yamaha motor right at the end of the two year warranty. They were very good. Once outside the warranty period Peter at what used to be called Performance Line Bearings is very good, and if he fixes it, it will be better than new.

If you ride it a lot, circa 2000 miles a year, the motor would be in need of a good service/overhaul at 6 years.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The only success stories I see (more generally than ebikes) follow media attention. Have a look at theguardian.com consumer champions for a recent case involving an electric Brompton.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Sounds like something internal can't cope with long periods of inactivity.

In the early days, I did wonder how long I should expect a motor to last. Not answered that yet, but 800 miles on one of my trips is only 10 days!

Stoner27

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2021
The only success stories I see (more generally than ebikes) follow media attention. Have a look at theguardian.com consumer champions for a recent case involving an electric Brompton.
Emailed them, also Which, and several others.