Have been stolen... again!!!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello there,

This post is not about ebike, but just a general post about robbery and theft in London. I've been in London for 2 years and it's the 4th time I've to replace my phone!!!:
- I have had initially a Samsung S2, I unfortunately forgot it in my office while it was charging overnight... When I came back home I realized I forgot my phone in the office, but I thought I would find it back the next day.. I was soo sooo wrong!!! The morning clearner probably took it

- I then purchased an iphone 4, I was in a "Pret a manger" and went to toilet. I think I played with the phone and left it in the lavatory during 15 mn.. When I realised my phone wasn't with me, I went again to the toilet and it wasn't here anymore.

- I purchased again a Samsung S2... but unfortunately it dropped on the floor while I was cycling and went under a car.. Game over...

- I waaas so annoyed I purchased the next day another Samsung S2... I had it for 4 months I think. Tonight, I went to a restaurant with a friend. While I was folding the brompton to carry it to the restaurant, there was a black guy that told me my bike was amazing. He tried to move it, he wanted to play with it, tried to carry it for me. He was SOOO ANNOYING!. After pushing me and the bike, he moved away to the restaurant... and I felt relieved he left.
But 20 mn after, I was looking for my phone and it wasn't here anymore!!!! My phone has been stolen... AGAIN!!!

I've lost 4 phones in 2 years in London. I've never been stolen so many times in my whole life. The slightest mistake and the phone is GONE!

I want to insure my phone now, I don't have home insurance, which one do you have and is the most reliable? I think I'm going to make load of claims!

D

Deleted member 4366

I guess you know that you can register your phone with Samsungdive.com, which allows you to remote control you phone even if the robber chucks the SIM. You can locate it within a couple of meters, or lock it if you want.You can also ring it it regardless of which SIM is in it.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Until now, I've always been purchasing my phones second hand via gumtree. So they are not registered anywhere... and not eligible for insurance because I don't have receipt.

I'm planning to have a proper plan, a proper new phone. And proper insurance now.

And too sad I don't know about SamsungDive.com :(

D

Deleted member 4366

Really sorry about your phone. Maybe next time you can register with Samsungdive. You can use it on any Samsung phone with GPS - used or otherwise. It works off the IMEI number and can track the phone as long as it's switched on. On the S2, it's best to "encrypt the device", which then requires a password to change settings, so that they can't switch off the GPS or change the SIM or do aything else.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Cwah,

I'm sorry to hear about all your bad luck.

I also have a Galaxy S2, mine fell from my pocket whilst riding a recumbent trike and was run over by not just 1 but 4 cars, only the 5th one actually hit it and sent it flying into the kerb, screen smashed but otherwise working perfectly:rolleyes:

It cost me £100 for a new screen:(

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Oh Cwah....I really feel for you, if I lost my phone I would be totally devastated ......as well as VERY
worried lol

Try to become more 'phone aware'......my phone goes everywhere with me......is always in my sight and is never switched off.

With your record you really do need to get some insurance.

Do please however keep up your penchant for having the best phone......the Samsung Galaxy......and you lucky devil just look on it now as an excuse to be able to get the latest Galaxy S3 !!

Lynda :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
My daughter just had 2 new IPhones lifted from her bag within one month!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks for your kind words.

I was thinking about going with Three Network again (or maybe GiffGaff) because I can have unlimited internet data. I use maybe 2GB or more internet every month. With Virgin it's going to be quite expensive.

Someone told me that "http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/" may worth it. Is it easy to get refund from them if I loose my phone? Or any insurance that is reliable?

D

Deleted member 4366

i get unlimited internet and a free phone (which I sold on Ebay for £110) for £10 a month from Virgin, which works out at about £4 a month, but you only get 100 mins talking, otherwise GiffGaff is good. Saneagle has that and it's problem-free.

Nigelk

Pedelecer
Apr 8, 2012
Nr Banbury
I guess you know that you can register your phone with Samsungdive.com, which allows you to remote control you phone even if the robber chucks the SIM. You can locate it within a couple of meters, or lock it if you want.You can also ring it it regardless of which SIM is in it.
Sorry to high-jack this thread.

Do you know what does this service costs.?

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't cost anything. It's a free service from Samsung. You can set it up on the internet at home.

D

Deleted member 4366

That means you're paying about £500 for the phone over 2 years. You can buy a new one on Ebay for between £380 and £420 and then get a GiffGaff card for £10, which is £100 cheaper, but you have to arrange your own insurance. You can get a Samsung Galaxy Ace from Virgin for £23/m with free insurance, unlimited internet and 2500 minutes, which is a bit easier on the wallet. That cost might include a £5/m discount for existing Virgin Customers. It's not clear.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace - 100 minutes a month, 5000 texts, unlimited internet - £13 a month. I don't have long conversations on the phone so I don't need many minutes or all of the features of an S3. My previous contract was the same as above but with 300 minutes for £20 a month. Battery life is poor on this phone though - well mine is anyway.

But on Talkmobile you can get a similar deal with a Samsung Galaxy Ace with 250 mins, 5000 texts and 500mb data for £7.50 a month from Carphone Warehouse - I think that is a great deal and I wish it had been around when I did my deal.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Make sure you read any insurance policy in detail.

Most dont just give you a free phone if you loose/get yours stolen etc but charge a fee which can be anything up to £200 for a good phone like iphone/s3. There are also a load of reasons they wont pay up (including to many claims).

Had one on my sons phone and worked out that over two years this would of paid for 2 replacements phones any way and thats not taking into account the charge for a replacement. IMHO most of these policies are a rip off.

Might be worth seeing if your bank covers it (Lloyds gold account or above includes phone cover)

take a look here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance#cheapest

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm quite careful but I believe that in London, there is load of opportunity for thieves. Especially in the center. I have many friends that have been robbered......

I just had an idea that may allow me to avoid theft insurance:

Get a rugged case to protect it from dropping... and maybe a bit against cars wheel?

Rugged Brand QX601 Strong Heavy Duty Metal Clip Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII | eBay

Attach it to a belt wallet chain:

STRONG METAL HIPSTER BELT CLIP KEYCHAIN WALLET CHAIN - FAST POST | eBay

Should be protected against thieves if the chain is clipped to my belt, and no need for insurance isn't it? Good idea?