Have I brought a load of rubbish?

petedaniel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2009
HI I have just bid for and won A Infineon Sting ray E bike on Ebay But it does not seem to have any power and the charge does not last very long. it also tens to make a moaning noise from the motor under load.
Has any one had any experience with this model? as I am new to e-bikes and do not know what to expect from it. I get a 39v reading from the battery when I take it out of the bike but I do not know how to check it in situation
are there any service places where I could get it checked out In the Swindon area?
Petedaniel

C

Cyclezee

Hi Pete,
Firstly, sorry to hear about your troubles.
I am not familiar with this e-bike, but I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to help/advise.
I assume you bought the bike in used condition as I understand they were not available from new after August 2007. I also assume you bought it recently? If that is the case, have you asked the seller about the problems you are experiencing?

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi and welcome!

I told you not to bother with it over on the motohome forum:rolleyes:

Even if in new condition I would guess it would be a very poor performer from just looking at a picture of it.

some one will be along to help with technical.....I haven't a clue, and thats why I'm here!

Again sorry, but I know enough not to buy a bike that looks as poorly designed as this one:)

petedaniel

Jun 25, 2009
Hi and welcome!

I told you not to bother with it over on the motohome forum:rolleyes:

Even if in new condition I would guess it would be a very poor performer from just looking at a picture of it.

some one will be along to help with technical.....I haven't a clue, and thats why I'm here!

Again sorry, but I know enough not to buy a bike that looks as poorly designed as this one:)
Sorry But I think it looks great But it's a pity it needs new batteries.
Pete

petedaniel

Jun 25, 2009
Hi Pete,
Firstly, sorry to hear about your troubles.
I am not familiar with this e-bike, but I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to help/advise.
I assume you bought the bike in used condition as I understand they were not available from new after August 2007. I also assume you bought it recently? If that is the case, have you asked the seller about the problems you are experiencing?

The seller does not want to know now I will have to start a dispute with Ebay
Pete

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Have they tried to make it look like a Powabyke?
The Infineon Bike has been around for several years, I haven't seen one for about 5 years though. It may be worth seeing if Paul at Mitchell Cycles can have a look at it for you. They are on Shrivenham Road just off the famous Magic Roundabout. 01793 523306. He is very knowledgeable on electric bikes so would have a good idea where to start.

Good Luck.

Regards

FrankC

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Ok sorry that link doesn't work. Looks like they are no longer trading. :(

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry But I think it looks great But it's a pity it needs new batteries.
Pete

In that case you can have a brand new one to go with it.......

ELECTRIC BICYCLE on eBay (end time 03-Jul-09 13:33:03 BST)

EDIT: Ignore me, this is a different bike a "Biancci" looks a bit like it though. All is not lost, you can get batteries but fitting into frame may be a problem. PLUS batteries are not cheap! what did you pay for the bike?

I would appeal via ebay and get rid of it......and buy something like it - but ask advice on here first

Last edited:

petedaniel

Jun 25, 2009
In that case you can have a brand new one to go with it.......

ELECTRIC BICYCLE on eBay (end time 03-Jul-09 13:33:03 BST)

EDIT: Ignore me, this is a different bike a "Biancci" looks a bit like it though. All is not lost, you can get batteries but fitting into frame may be a problem. PLUS batteries are not cheap! what did you pay for the bike?

I would appeal via ebay and get rid of it......and buy something like it - but ask advice on here first
Trouble is I paid cash £205 I do seem to have made a booboo I need Batteries 3x12 12AH 150mm long 100mm wide 95mm heigh any one out there know where?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
:(
Trouble is I paid cash £205 I do seem to have made a booboo I need Batteries 3x12 12AH 150mm long 100mm wide 95mm heigh any one out there know where?I can obtain them.
Pete

Peter that is ............

I would try and get your money back ASAP

and before you bid on any other "bargains" ask advice on here first

C

Cyclezee

:(
Trouble is I paid cash £205 I do seem to have made a booboo I need Batteries 3x12 12AH 150mm long 100mm wide 95mm heigh any one out there know where?I can obtain them.
Pete
Hi Pete, these should be suitable POWABYKE ELECTRIC BICYCLE BATTERY 1 X 12VOLT 15 AMP on eBay (end time 31-Jul-09 14:08:26 BST)

But not cheap and delivery is pricey! If you live anywhere near Peterborough it might be worth going to see them or call for better price;)

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Trouble is I paid cash £205 I do seem to have made a booboo I need Batteries 3x12 12AH 150mm long 100mm wide 95mm heigh any one out there know where?
Hi Pete

They are almost certainly a standard size as made by Yuasa, which is quoted as 151mm x 98mm x 97.5mm L x W x H. The extra height is due to the fact that Yuasa include the height of the spade terminals, so the body height is almost certainly 95mm.

Can you confirm that yours have quarter-inch spade terminals? If so the Yuasa part number you require would be NPH12-12. The alternative - NP12-12 - is not really suitable as its capacity is much reduced at the sort of current an e-bike demands when compared to the NPH version.

This size is also made by other manufacturers, but Yuasa is the best known make. They also manufacture under the name 'Enersys' in the States.

If you're in the UK, Maplin stock the right size - their code is UD03D, and they're priced at £32.99 each. Their life will vary depending on whether or not they match the NPH or the NP versions - there's no way to know. I don't think they're made by Yuasa. It would be a start, though.

Edit: just seen John's quote. This might be a better bet as they will be high-discharge models, and a slightly better price, although carriage will be considerable.

Rog.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
well found John!

That seems reasonable, as long as you are positive it is the batteries at fault.

probably best to get over to the shop and let them have a look at yours and avail yourself of the free fitting.

Maybe your best bet as getting money back from ebay is a real chore:rolleyes:

petedaniel

Jun 25, 2009
Tried getting my money back on ebay but the seller does not want to know I have put in a complaint as his argument is that the batteries where fully charged at time of sale but I am still am still out of pocket £205 and still don't really know if the it is going to be oK after I change the the batteries. as there is this noise coming from the motor underload IE turn the trottle fully or attempt to go up hill I have had a quote from Michells in Swindon for replacement batteries at £110 so I surpose I will have to take it there and have him look at it