Have I got too many spacers in?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Have a look at these photos please.
It is only 5mm that I have to pull in because the difference at the rim is 10mm so only need to dish the wheel have of that.
Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Apol's for replying to my own post.
The road link didn't fit, the tail of the original metal bar is too long.
A website I visited says to file down the tail, but I think I may grind more into the cutout of the drop link with my necessary newly purchased multitool.
I can screw the derailleur back beyond the largest sprocket using the b screw but it still will not go far enough in with whatever screw I loosen right out, and probably does not match the largest sprocket because I still have a spacer in between it and the frame.
I have ordered an SRAM derailleur, hopefully it will be different.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I fitted the new derailleur and it does reach the high gear, but it only goes as far as the 4th gear and if I loosen the cable to allow it to reach the lowest gear, pulling on the 6 speed shifter doesn't pull it far enough, so I guess I have to wait for the 8 speed shifter.
I was also able to dish the wheel and take the crank off to fit the 10 magnet disc in place of the 12 magnet disc and now Pas works with the original sensor. Thank god for that cos I couldn't get the ring off.
So, not much left other than to try 8 speed shifter.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Defo need the 8 sp shifter, did you try adjusting the H & L screws ?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
This is hard to explain but I will try.
With the derailleur at the smallest sprocket and the cable tightened at the derailleur, when I pull on the shifter, the derailleur only goes up a couple gears, which is why I hope a new shifter pulls the cable more, so pulling the derailleur more.
If I push the derailleur up to the largest sprocket and tighten the cable, then when shifting to speed 6 on the shifter, the derailleur only drops a few gears and won't go any further because it would actually be trying to push the cable back down its sleeve when it cannot because the other end of the cable at the shifter is at the furthest it can go.
On another completely different matter, It's a real pain in the behind having to type long words like derailleur on a phone ;) what the shorthand for derailleur/sprocket/shifter ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Screw all the cable adjusters right in.
Undo the cable clamp screw.
Put the chain on top gear and the shifter in top gear.
Adjust the position of the derailleur using the top gear adjuster screw.
Pull the cable to take out any free-play and clamp it with the clamp screw.
Use the shifter to pull one gear up and adjust the cable adjuster to tighten the cable until the chain sits nicely on that gear. If you left the cable too loose when you clamped it, go back to that step.
Check that the shifter shifts through all the other gears properly. Use slight cable adjustment to fine tune out any noise.
Wind the chain up onto the bottom gear. Set the bottom gear adjuster screw to stop it from going too far.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Lol, I'll bet a pound to a penny I forgot to put the shifter at 6 when I tried to set it up last night.
HoHum, I have a whole weekend to find out :)

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I did not forget :(
So it only rises to gear 4 from smallest gear 8 when put the shifter to 1.
The screws are only limit screws so there is nothing I can do .
I'd appreciate an expert eye looking at my last photos to make sure I have routed the cable correctly, there doesn't seem to be any other way to route it but you never know.

I can only hope atm that it is because is an SRAM deraill and a Shimano shifter, and that when I get the 8 speed shifter, the issue will be fixed.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is why it doesn't work the ratio's are different Sram uses 1:1 ratio and Shimano use 1:2 ratio,. you can buy Sram 1:2 shifters to use with Shimano but not the opposite.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
8 speed SRAM shifter fitted, works a charm.
Just about finished, thank goodness.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good job Michael you got there in the end, as soon as you said in #29 about using different make shifter and derailleur it soon became obvious.