Have I missed anything?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Our bike quest is now complete, as 'Juicy Lucy' was delivered yesterday. It was wet so I didn't try her until this morning. She flew up our steep lane with no pedalling needed on the throttle, and very easily with pedal assist. She is also a very pretty bike with her swan neck post and her lovely teal colour.
Our neighbours are cyclists but now struggle up the hills and they looked very interested. She told me that she had never managed to actually cycle up our lane so it would be a first for her if she went electric.
Anyway, "jobs a gud'n" as they say in these parts so thanks to all again.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Just to complete this saga that I have subjected you all to (!!:rolleyes:), I have now had my first short ride on the Juicy Classic, with my husband on his Vita Uno-26. We rode up that 3 mile hill that I've been worried about and both bikes took it with no trouble at all.

On Juicy Lucy I settled mainly for assist 2 out of 5 with gear 4 out of 6 except for some steeper bits where it was assist 3 with gear 2 or 3. No throttle was needed.

It's now the day after and I have no ill effects such as back pain. My legs don't even ache! We live in the Lancashire foothills and I finally feel like I have a chance of getting to appreciate our lovely countryside other than just in a car.

It's chucking it down again today and I'm not sure when we will ride again but I will put a review of the Classic on the forum when we have done a couple of rides. But so far so good, and I love, love, love the bike.:D

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As with all things, first impressions count.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

You were quite rightly concerned about punctures - they are the most likely cause of a breakdown.

Keeping plenty of air in the tyres will help prevent them.

Have you got a track pump?

You only need one, because it stays in the house and will do both bikes.

Worth checking tyre pressures every week or two, and/or before a ride if you've not used the bike for a while.

Reactions: JuicyBike

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
We are used to checking tyres regularly, and before every ride from when we rode motorbikes, where it's equally as important, but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Not sure what a track pump is but with both bikes having schrader valves, we can pump them up with a car pump which has a gauge and takes seconds. We are carrying a mini pump out with us in case of emergencies as well.

I have already read on this forum that keeping the tryes at the right pressure will help with battery range and longevity (not to mention tyre wear and puncture prevention) and we have been advised by Juicy to keep the Classic on 60psi. The Vita Uno will be kept on a similarly high psi.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A car pump will do.

A track pump is designed for bicycles and would probably be slightly easier to use.

It will also do the higher pressures required by road bike riders, but that's not something that need concern you.

Sixty psi sounds fine, although you could run a few more psi in the rear, particularly if husband is a big lad.

topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-track-pump.jpg

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Ah, so that's what you call a track pump. I saw one of those in Go Outdoors the other day. We have an inflatable Sevylor kayak and use a similar style pump to blow that up (different valve of course).

No, hubby isn't a big lad, 5ft 8" and 12 stone in fact, so we're thinking 60psi should be OK for him.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Track pumps are good easier then foot pumps and my Mrs uses mine now as well, mine does the bike & cars tyres , my airzound and my rear suspension.

eBoy

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2014
Funny to think that I've been riding bikes for decades and never gave much of a thought to tyre pressures. I just pumped up the tyres till they felt hard when pressed with a thumb. But now, of course, I've discovered that those few extra psi's make all the difference to the ride. When newly pumped up, I hardly need the motor assistance anymore! One pesky thing, though: when wiggling the foot-pump off the tyre valve, I seem to lose quite a lot of air out, then have to do it again! LOL!

Johnny

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
  1. Track pumps are good easier then foot pumps and my Mrs uses mine now as well, mine does the bike & cars tyres , my airzound and my rear suspension.
What? You have rear suspension? How does that work, is it attached to your legs or your arse?:p (Oh, how we larfed!)

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Been following this thread with interest. I'm still in the 'reading-up' phase about which bike to get. I've found the questions Lancslass has asked have been very illuminating and much the same as I'd ask myself but don't have the correct vocab yet:)
Much of my vocab comes from reading what the lads and lasses write in this forum BBS. I don't actually understand most of what I am saying. I have termed it as 'cycle speak'. :rolleyes:

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Funny to think that I've been riding bikes for decades and never gave much of a thought to tyre pressures. I just pumped up the tyres till they felt hard when pressed with a thumb. But now, of course, I've discovered that those few extra psi's make all the difference to the ride. When newly pumped up, I hardly need the motor assistance anymore! One pesky thing, though: when wiggling the foot-pump off the tyre valve, I seem to lose quite a lot of air out, then have to do it again! LOL!

Johnny
I can't tell what difference it makes to the ride yet, being inexperienced as I am, I'm just doing as I'm told! You aren't wrong about losing air when taking the pump off the valve tho', the trick is maybe to over-blow them up, hope the tyre doesn't explode as you fight the escaping air then hope you have over-blow them enough and not too much to end up with the right psi! Then of course your pressures change according to the temperature. Mmmm, It's hardly an exact science is it??:oops:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It's hardly an exact science is it?
You are right there, best just to start high and experiment a bit.
Sometimes a soft tyre has less rolling resistance than a hard one but generally only on rough tracks and with wide tyres.
Dave.

Reactions: RobF

eBoy

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2014
Yes,s, Lancs Lass, I never look forward topumping tyres. It's so hit and miss. I must have a lookata trackpump. maybe they screw onto the valve rather than the pesky push-on fit! Johnny

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Been following this thread with interest. I'm still in the 'reading-up' phase about which bike to get. I've found the questions Lancslass has asked have been very illuminating and much the same as I'd ask myself but don't have the correct vocab yet:)
Absolutely - its been very insightful reading for me, looking for my first eBike for short town trips and some longer cycle path rides.

Lancslass - I've learnt a lot from your posts and threads - thank you

Hope you are still enjoying the Juicy, its on my test list for this weekend!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Absolutely - its been very insightful reading for me, looking for my first eBike for short town trips and some longer cycle path rides.

Lancslass - I've learnt a lot from your posts and threads - thank you

Hope you are still enjoying the Juicy, its on my test list for this weekend!
I AM still enjoying Juicy Lucy thanks, and thank you for your kind words, I'm so pleased to have been of some help.
I can't recommend getting into electric bikes enough. It has already got us out on the odd day when it's dry here in Lancashire. We are lucky to live near some lovely countryside and its invigorating to go even for an hours ride on a crisp sunny day. You see so much more from a bike as well!
Good luck with your test rides and if you happen to see Bob at Juicy, send him my regards and mention the forum, he's always a nice man but he'll be even nicer to you of he knows your a pedelec member.:D

Reactions: pichipedals

Paul J

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Ferndown Dorset
What a great thread, so many interesting facts. Still to make my decision between a Woosh Big bear, I like the Juicy classic and have now just seen the Decathlon Beebike, so many choices. Thank for a great read.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
What a great thread, so many interesting facts. Still to make my decision between a Woosh Big bear, I like the Juicy classic and have now just seen the Decathlon Beebike, so many choices. Thank for a great read.
Great that you are liking the thread.
The Woosh Bear is a beast compared to the Juicy Classic and with 28" wheels, far too big for me (I'm only 5ft 3", just a wee slip of a lass ;)). Andy H has just bought a Bear and loves it and he, or other Bear owners, may be around to comment on it. I know nothing (she says in a Spanish, waiter type accent :D) about the Decathalon but for sure, others will advise. You already know how enthusiastic I am about the Juicy so I won't bore you and everyone else again! Save to say that if you need to know anything about it, I'd be glad to help.
I'm sure that whatever you decide on you are going to love riding it.

PS: Totally impartial, but of the three above bikes the Juicy HAS to be the best!!!:p

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Paul
It's great Lancslass has found a bike she really enjoys but it's important you do as she did: take the trouble to actually ride any bike you're thinking of buying.
For the retailer this is important too. Nobody wants to sell anything that doesn't suit the rider.
Most of the real value of a sale is to hear how enthused the customer is with the product.
I think we all want you to find your perfect bike. But of course I hope you like our bikes when you try then.