Have Now Bought not needed ...Wanted...Garmin ETrex.

JohnT

De-registered
May 12, 2018
Not Required Now Have Bought... Wanted Garmin ETrex with preloaded 1:50 maps

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Are you selling or buying?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's easy. He wanted a Garmin Etrex, but then decided not to wait, so he bought one, then he figured out that Google Navigation is free and better, so now his Garmin isn't needed.

You could approach him and ask to buy his Garmin, but no point because free Google navigation is better. Why would anybody want to buy a substandard version of something that's free?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
You could approach him and...
JohnT
De-registered

ask to buy his Garmin, but no point because free Google navigation is better. Why would anybody want to buy a substandard version of something that's free?
Doesn't google rely on an internet connection?
That's usually the reason people want some other, off-line navigation system.

D

Deleted member 4366

JohnT
De-registered

Doesn't google rely on an internet connection?
That's usually the reason people want some other, off-line navigation system.
No. For navigation, it uses the satellites, like any other GPS navigation.

Like the Garmin, it won't be any use if you don't have the maps installed. If you have internet, it'll download as you need them, but if you know you won't have internet, you have to download them before you set off.

Google navigation has one overwhelming advantage over the others (when you have internet). It uses live real-time traffic information that it collects from every driver with an android phone and location switched on, which is nearly everybody driving, so you can see in the maps where there's congestion and how severe it is. It's looking ahead all the time and when it sees that you're going to go through some, it looks at all the other possible routes and calculates a new quickest one. It then informs you about it and tells you how much time you'll save if you use the optional alternative route. this is one of the best uses of artificial intelligence that I've experienced.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
why are you dissing the garmin ? Yes it's overpriced but Surly its primary function is for off road navigation, would G maps show you footpaths & bridal ways through woodland and fields ?

D

Deleted member 4366

why are you dissing the garmin ? Yes it's overpriced but Surly its primary function is for off road navigation, would G maps show you footpaths & bridal ways through woodland and fields ?
Yes, and you can have satellite images too. It also shows designated cycle paths.

town park.jpg

town park 2.jpg

You can do this on the PC or directly on your phone. This was done on the PC, but on that second picture where the directions are, note that it offers you to send the directions to your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nealh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And the area covered is amazing even when you don't download! We went to Logrono for the weekend a while back and I played with the navigation thing in maps and it took us most of the way which was nearly 200 km on my base map then it switched over to the city map I had downloaded.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Like the Garmin, it won't be any use if you don't have the maps installed. If you have internet, it'll download as you need them, but if you know you won't have internet, you have to download them before you set off.
Ok, Ta.
Interesting. I will have a play with the offline mode at some point on the weekend. I have a feeling I've downloaded the maps in the past, but that was just for me to walk around some foreign places. I don't think I've actually tried the route calculation thing offline.
I did read something when I searched that commented the bicycle mode doesn't work in the offline mode - can someone confirm or deny that?

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
I was always thinking that using phone for navigation is a bit reckless, as the battery will go flat rather quickly, especially when it's sunny.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
GPS Garmin is designed for outdoor use and has a long battery life. Very good piece of kit. Beats a mobile IMO.