Have you had a cycling accident?

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Not strictly an electric bike question but I'd still like to know.

Yesterday I was zooming down the inside of a traffic jam when a young lady crossed from behind a van in front of me. I slammed on my brakes (which are not working as well as they should) and ran into her. She fell back into the side of the van, but didn't hit the ground. I asked if she was okay, she said she was, and we both carried on our way, shaken and hopefully not injured at all.

I found it quite upsetting, and feel guilty about hitting someone, but I honestly can't think of how I could have avoided it. I know it would be safer to slow down when undertaking stopped cars, but since most of my journey is like that it would take me a lot longer to get to work. I should get my brakes working better though (although for some reason they just don't want to work well perhaps my wheel is not straight).

Does anyone else have any stories they'd like to share, or insights on how to avoid accidents?

Aron.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These are mine from 60 years cycling, 54 years motorcycling and 52 years cars, trucks etc.

Cycling: 1) Had a soldered nipple slip off the end of a front brake cable and collided with bumper of car stopped in front as a result of no worthwhile braking left. No damage except to my 15 year old ego. 2) Slid off gracefully on a diesel slick deposited over a corner, masked by the damp from slight drizzle. Ended up squatting on my haunches alongside the bike with no damage to either, but phoned the council and had the road washed down immediately.

Motorcycling: Never fallen off one on the road, too dangerous to do that, but off very many times in competition years ago.

Car: Pulling away from lights in n/s lane with red london bus behind, as I passed the pedestrian crossing point a few yards ahead a woman stepped quite literally into the front of the car in a single pace. Broken leg. Fortunately many others waiting to cross were witnesses to what she did. I later found out she was looking slightly up at the bus and completely missed my low car, which was also red, in front of it, and judged there was time to cross rather than waiting for the lights. As with you, extremely upsetting for a day or two after, although I wasn't to blame.

Trucks: None.

The crucial thing is that all those were a very long time ago when I was less experienced. That's led me to conclude that even when something isn't apparently my fault, my actions do play a part in the cause. For years now I regard myself as a permanent learner driver, acknowledging that there's always more to learn so it's best to be cautious anywhere where something can happen that I might not have experienced before. Wherever possible I ride a bike as I ride a motorcycle, way out in the road in the centre line that cars use. There I can be clearly seen and I get more warning of another's silly action.

Pavements, the nearside lane, and parked vehicles are the biggest danger areas, so I avoid them like the plague. When stuck in a nearside lane as you were, I ride as if I know that someone is definitely going to step out, and someone else is definitely going to throw open a car door in my face, so I'm "on edge" and tensed for it to happen. I would never ride without a rear view mirror.

Although I've got an impeccable motor insurance record and a very clean riding/driving record, I'm in no way proud of those, since the minimum standard should be NO accidents, so I've fallen short of that, and as the saying goes, pride comes before a fall.

Last edited:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Only one serious accident.

Cycling home from work late one evening I had a head on collision with a London taxi. He turned right from a side road without stopping at the junction or looking properly and went straight into me.

My left hand took the initial impact and, trapped against the handlebar, my index finger suffered a serious compound fracture. My forehead was cut where it hit the bonnet, but luckily no skull fracture (I wasn't wearing a helmet).

3 months unable to do any work (I'm self-employed). The compensation just about paid for the time and effort of bringing the legal action, which, of course, you're not entitled to claim for...

As flecc says, work on the assumption that it is going to happen. In my case there was not much I could have done, short of slowing down to walking pace at every junction.

I was very upset when I learnt that a pedestrian had been killed at the same junction a year after I had my accident...

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Only one so far (touch wood!).

Riding home from work, having a chat with another cyclist who was most intrigued by my electric bike (and also got his ego back when he realised how I could pass him so quickly!)

We parted ways and as I approached a mini-roundabout where I turn right, I looked back, indicated, pulled out into the middle of the road and just as I was about to turn right I could see the car approaching on the opposite side was not going to stop. In fact, he was speeding and just flew over the top and straight past. Unfortunately I didn't realise the person behind him was also speeding (they were obviously in a race). I managed to stop but the car skidded and slammed into my front wheel. A fraction of a second later and I would've been completely taken out.

Both drivers were young Polish chaps trying to impress their girlfriends in the cars with them.

Luckily the only damage was a buckled wheel. Somehow I suspect it won't change their driving habits though!

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
One here since joining the electric bike community.

Sampled several varieties of strong ale at the local beer festival.

Short 1.5 mile country lane ride home on the lafree, so no problem apart from one short steep downhill with right angle right at the bottom.

Proceeded very carefully down the dodgy bit, turned right and thought 'I've cracked it!!' and pedalled off down the straight village lane.

Ten seconds later I was tits up in the stinging nettles!! Itched for days!!

Concrete proof that cycling is bad for your health!!!

Chris.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I was cycling down a quiet road on my trusty Honda Step Compo, blinking the sleet out of my eyes, when a parked postvan pulled out in front of me. I clipped the front of his wing and went over the handlebars and into the road, somehow managing to stop my head hitting the deck. No injuries at all, and the Honda survived too. The postman was very apologetic, but to be fair, if there had been no sleet would have been no accident.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Mt 'first' accident was when I was 8. I was riding a bike with no brakes (fixed wheel) and being chased by some friends along a pavement when I went off a curb, front wheel locked at a right angle to the frame due to the impact of the manouver at high speed on the roadway below, and I managed to learn (for a very short period) the basics of flight, which was just before learning the basics of impact onto tarmac 'chin-first' at which point I lost my 2 front teeth.

My mother never forgave me ever for that (all the school photos....) :eek:

John

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
When I was young and fit I used to train early in the morning before I went to work. One sunny morning I was standing on the pedals, gaining temporary relief, when I was hit hard on the back of the head and pitched into a hedgerow. To this day, I'm not sure what happened. I think i was clattered by a bus wing mirror but your guess is as good as mine (Ideas gratefully received). However, it made me a helmet enthusiast. I was wearing the padded leather skeleton helmet that I'd just bought. I had a stiff neck for a month!:D